New CBSE score reports 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oralsurgeryguy

Reaction score
Hi everyone! With the new CBSE score reports for the July 2022 exam, anyone have any idea how residencies will take this new score calculation? If anybody can offer some insight on the conversion/comparison to old scoring systems it would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They used to provide a conversion chart for the 3-digit to 2-digit scoring. Did they not do that for the new scoring?

Members don't see this ad :)
In their NBME pdf they said they will provide it to the program directors.

There is a conversion table in this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8368544/
Although I don't know how accurate it is.

1659585549044.png

This is an old table and wont be considered for the new system, per NBME pdf only program directors will have conversion table and they are not suppose to share it with students.

Attachments

• 1F5BBAE6-BE25-4D74-AF41-5AA2593186AB.jpeg
    1F5BBAE6-BE25-4D74-AF41-5AA2593186AB.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 379
This is an old table and wont be considered for the new system, per NBME pdf only program directors will have conversion table and they are not suppose to share it with students.
so basically there’s no way of knowing until stats for this cycles matriculants come out?

why leave applicants in the dark?

The CBSE is for medical students, OMFS just happen to use it. There’s no need for the medical students to have the conversion table since they are given the percent chance of passing Step 1.

Spoke with my PD about this today. Can confirm what everyone is saying. Access to the conversion table is restricted to programs. Not sure how I’m going to pick which score to upload lol. Side note, OMFS application CBSE dependency is exactly in line with why step 1 became P/F in the first place. Maybe it’s a sign

Reactions: 2 users
The CBSE is for medical students, OMFS just happen to use it. There’s no need for the medical students to have the conversion table since they are given the percent chance of passing Step 1.
Of course, but they’re creating the conversion tables anyway and sending them only to program directors. The work is getting done regardless.

So why not share it with applicants? Not in the ‘it’s so easy, why not share it?’ sense but more so ‘What are they trying to accomplish in intentionally not sharing it? Increase the number of applicants with less than ideal scores so that it’s easier to weed through? Shift the importance off of the CBSE and leave it to program directors? Discourage retakes since people don’t know if their score is good enough and may just apply with whatever they got?’

Of course, but they’re creating the conversion tables anyway and sending them only to program directors. The work is getting done regardless.

So why not share it with applicants? Not in the ‘it’s so easy, why not share it?’ sense but more so ‘What are they trying to accomplish in intentionally not sharing it? Increase the number of applicants with less than ideal scores so that it’s easier to weed through? Shift the importance off of the CBSE and leave it to program directors? Discourage retakes since people don’t know if their score is good enough and may just apply with whatever they got?’

They are trying to discourage medical students from focusing on the score and instead learn the material and focus on passing and decrease burnout.
Thats an argument for another thread but thats why they don’t release it and like I said earlier OMFS is borrowing the test so the few of us weren’t a thought when these decisions were made.

They are trying to discourage medical students from focusing on the score and instead learn the material and focus on passing and decrease burnout.
Thats an argument for another thread but thats why they don’t release it and like I said earlier OMFS is borrowing the test so the few of us weren’t a thought when these decisions were made.
I guess I don’t know who ‘they’ are. I thought AAOMS received the data and would provide to students and PDs. Is the NBME providing the data directly to PDs? I see above the NBME provides directly to PDs.

It’s not being used as an “entrance exam” in medicine. It’s a ‘pass and move on’. It’s a little discouraging not having a great idea of where you stand if you aren’t hitting high equated percent corrects or high percent chance of passing. Is my score good enough? Am I wasting a ton of money applying?

I get that everyone is in the same boat. But not knowing how good an entrance exam score is when applying is uncomfortable when PDs will surely sort out low exam scores and have hard cutoffs.

I guess this is only valid for the next 3 or so application cycles. Once applicants share scores and acceptances it’ll be more clear. But that’s not comforting if you’re applying in that timeline

Last edited:
I guess I don’t know who ‘they’ are. I thought AAOMS received the data and would provide to students and PDs. Is the NBME providing the data directly to PDs? I see above the NBME provides directly to PDs.

It’s not being used as an “entrance exam” in medicine. It’s a ‘pass and move on’. It’s a little discouraging not having a great idea of where you stand if you aren’t hitting high equated percent corrects or high percent chance of passing. Is my score good enough? Am I wasting a ton of money applying?

I get that everyone is in the same boat. But not knowing how good an entrance exam score is when applying is uncomfortable when PDs will surely sort out low exam scores and have hard cutoffs.

I guess this is only valid for the next 3 or so application cycles. Once applicants share scores and acceptances it’ll be more clear. But that’s not comforting if you’re applying in that timeline
One idea would be to create a poll for everyone to anonymously share their score to get some idea of where you stand with the hope that people will share their scores truthfully.

Reactions: 2 users
One idea would be to create a poll for everyone to anonymously share their score to get some idea of where you stand with the hope that people will share their scores truthfully.
Granted, SDN generally isn’t representative of the general population of applicants

I fee like you still aren’t understanding what Im trying to say as far as OMFS connection to the CBSE. The NBME does not want medical students to have access to this chart. They dont care about how unfair it is for OMFS applicants because we are just piggybacking off of the test. Im sure the OMFS pds would like to share the table if they could but the NBME has told them not to so they are respectful of that because if OMFS students get it then the medical students would get it as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I fee like you still aren’t understanding what Im trying to say as far as OMFS connection to the CBSE. The NBME does not want medical students to have access to this chart. They dont care about how unfair it is for OMFS applicants because we are just piggybacking off of the test. Im sure the OMFS pds would like to share the table if they could but the NBME has told them not to so they are respectful of that because if OMFS students get it then the medical students would get it as well.
I'm willing to bet a happy meal a half that the table is going to be leaked. Big D PDs gonna do what they want.

Reactions: 8 users
Totally agree with that.

Apparently this table is accurate. I was recently at an interview where the program director was discussing my score with me and he mentioned what my equated percent correct score converts to in the old 3-digit score. Using the 3-digit to 2-digit score conversion table that NBME provides gave me the score that this table shows.

Reactions: 5 users