Maxillofacial surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

francais7979

french7979
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am interested in maxillofacial surgery. How do I go about doing that as a DO? Do I have to be a dentist to do that and if no, what type of residency do I have to do? Is it general surgery??
 
The closest MD/DO speciality to OMFS is ENT. OMFS has the benefit of being able to pull wizzies all day and make bank. I have heard of a select few students graduate from an MD or DO school and go on to do a condensed dental program for OMFS. NSU also has a DMD/DO degree, which seems like the perfect way to get into OMFS, although the dual degree is really intended for people who want to be a complete healthcare provider in an underserved area.

I am interested in all of that stuff, but you have to keep in mind whether you'd be happy with the worst case scenario with each specialty. If you don't think you'll be happy as a general dentist, then don't go to dental school. If you don't think you could be happy as a family practice or any other relatively easy specialty to get, then don't go into medicine. I chose medicine for the wide range of stuff available. If I knew I could get OMFS and heard about it earlier, then maybe I would've considered dental school but it is pretty competitive. Nice lifestyle though.