Maximum number of LORs for IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm quite confused about assigning LORs for ERAS right now. I am an MD/PhD and I was going to just blanket send 4 LORs to all my IM programs. I have 2 clinical letters, 1 letter from my PI, and 1 departmental chair letter. I was just speaking to another student recently and I was told that programs have a maximum number of letters they will accept and some will not want more than two letters (???). I had no idea about this restriction, is this true? I tried to find out the number of letters each program wants, but it doesn't seem like this information is very readily available. Is there a convenient place to find this info?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm quite confused about assigning LORs for ERAS right now. I am an MD/PhD and I was going to just blanket send 4 LORs to all my IM programs. I have 2 clinical letters, 1 letter from my PI, and 1 departmental chair letter. I was just speaking to another student recently and I was told that programs have a maximum number of letters they will accept and some will not want more than two letters (???). I had no idea about this restriction, is this true? I tried to find out the number of letters each program wants, but it doesn't seem like this information is very readily available. Is there a convenient place to find this info?

Thanks guys!
Gunners gonna gun man.

This dude is so wrong I don't even know where to start. So just ignore him. That will fix everything.

Gunners gonna gun man.

This dude is so wrong I don't even know where to start. So just ignore him. That will fix everything.

Haha, she isn't a gunner, just very misinformed to the point that she is causing other people to stress out. Thanks for the reassurance though.

Haha, she isn't a gunner, just very misinformed to the point that she is causing other people to stress out. Thanks for the reassurance though.

As a MD/PhD you'd think this student would have done some research about the letter requirements per program. A search for any of your IM programs on goggle would tell you letter requirements..... maybe not all programs but I would imagine most would detail letter requirements (you could always call program if unsure)

I am backing up with IM and I got 4 letters in total to be on the safe side. My understanding most programs require chair letter plus 2-3 others. So about 3-4 letters for most programs I applied to

As a MD/PhD you'd think this student would have done some research about the letter requirements per program. A search for any of your IM programs on goggle would tell you letter requirements..... maybe not all programs but I would imagine most would detail letter requirements (you could always call program if unsure)

I am backing up with IM and I got 4 letters in total to be on the safe side. My understanding most programs require chair letter plus 2-3 others. So about 3-4 letters for most programs I applied to

She isn't MD/PhD. It's actually more my responsibility to look this stuff up. I just got that horrible "sinking" feeling thinking that I missed something after believing my application to be done.

Thanks for the info.