May 15, right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okgo2503

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
May 15 is the last day to hold multiple acceptances (not May 1), right? I just wanted to make certain so I don't have any AAMC people coming after me. :p

Members don't see this ad.

yes, may 15th.

so what happens if we hold multiple acceptances after may 15th? is it like in undergrad when my advisor told me at the end of my freshman year that i needed to choose a major. then he was all, "do you know what the consequences for not choosing a major at the end of the school year are?" and then i was, "i unno..." and then he was all:

"nothing."

5/15 is the last day you can withdraw an acceptance and still get your deposit back. If you want to hold onto multiple acceptances, you can. It will just cost you ~$100 each.

Members don't see this ad :)
5/15 is the last day you can withdraw an acceptance and still get your deposit back. If you want to hold onto multiple acceptances, you can. It will just cost you ~$100 each.

That's not true. Some schools have refund deadlines that go into June and July.

There IS a cut-off and you have to release multiple acceptances by May 15th. Schools can see where you are holding acceptances, and if you are holding more than one after that date without special permission from your school, they can withdraw your acceptance.

Seriously, there's very few good reasons to hold on to them past that date. If you happen to have one of the few, get special permission from your schools. If not, let go and let someone in off the waitlist.

If you are holding multiple acceptances after May 15, you can have acceptances rescinded by schools that check. And some do. I would not do it, it is unethical and it is not fair to folks on the waitlist. Just make a decision. If you cannot make that decision, then please, do not make any life and death decisions for patients. Oh wait, you could not make a decision, so the patient would die while you are agonizing about your decision. For the love of God! Just do something.

People that cannot make up their mind are annoying.

One additional thought. If you hold multiple acceptances after May 15, you are a douche bag who is screwing some very nice folks who have been waiting patiently, desperately ,on wait lists. Many will be wonderful doctors. They deserve to know their fate, now, not later.

I'd have to agree with that second comment. Don't most of us have our schools ranked pretty well waaaaay before choosing between acceptances even becomes an issue? It shouldn't be a big deal to choose which school to go to.

I'd have to agree with that second comment. Don't most of us have our schools ranked pretty well waaaaay before choosing between acceptances even becomes an issue? It shouldn't be a big deal to choose which school to go to.

I think the problem comes in when people get aid packages. Some people wait on these before making a final decision.

If you are holding multiple acceptances after May 15, you can have acceptances rescinded by schools that check. And some do. I would not do it, it is unethical and it is not fair to folks on the waitlist. Just make a decision. If you cannot make that decision, then please, do not make any life and death decisions for patients. Oh wait, you could not make a decision, so the patient would die while you are agonizing about your decision. For the love of God! Just do something.

lol

One additional thought. If you hold multiple acceptances after May 15, you are a douche bag who is screwing some very nice folks who have been waiting patiently, desperately ,on wait lists. Many will be wonderful doctors. They deserve to know their fate, now, not later.

well said :)

Schools like UM have their deposit date in June.

:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
well perhaps people hold multiple acceptances because of financial aid reasons...I know that's why I am still waiting to decide

so ... by may 15th all non-doughebags have trimmed it down to one acceptance ... but how does it work after that, for off-the-waitlist offers? do you have 24 hours? a week? i know the school that gives an off-waitlist acceptance has a respond-by time limit, but does the school whose acceptance you've held after may 15th know when you receive another acceptance offer? can they rescind your acceptance post-may 15th if you take too long to consider the other acceptance?

any idears? word.

If you need longer than the may 15th deadline to decide thats just unfair and ridiculous. Some people are trying to decide what to do with their LIFE and it hinges entirely on if they get in off a waitlist. And dont give me that financial aid excuse... call up the school and be proactive, dont wait for people to do your things for you.

After May 15th schools may ask students accepted off of the waitlist to decide to accept or decline within a time period that is less than two weeks.

As far as choosing a school, waiting to compare financial aid packages is a wise decision. Most schools will not give financial award letter information over the telephone, although I agree students should be proactive and attempt to make their medical school choice as quickly as possible.

If you need longer than the may 15th deadline to decide thats just unfair and ridiculous. Some people are trying to decide what to do with their LIFE and it hinges entirely on if they get in off a waitlist. And dont give me that financial aid excuse... call up the school and be proactive, dont wait for people to do your things for you.

financial aid excuse?...excuse me but a $15,000 difference a year is a LIFE decision for me as well. I'll be happy to withdraw as soon as I get my fin aid packages. I understand you're waiting, but I am waiting as well so there is no need to be bitter about it. And, unless you heard otherwise, the fin aid officer has to put the package together...so, yes, I am waiting for him/her to do it for me.

After May 15th schools may ask students accepted off of the waitlist to decide to accept or decline within a time period that is less than two weeks.

As far as choosing a school, waiting to compare financial aid packages is a wise decision. Most schools will not give financial award letter information over the telephone, although I agree students should be proactive and attempt to make their medical school choice as quickly as possible.

nope, tried it with my school and i still haven't received a package 1.5 months later. the final word rests with financial aid. you can't bully them into telling you what you're getting.

I have yet to receive a financial aid package from ANY of the schools I'm holding offers at. I submitted all of my materials before the deadlines. It's ridiculous. I've been hounding, HOUNDING, the financial aid offices for this information, but they're all just super delayed this year. I don't think any of us are purposefully trying to screw anyone else over (I'm on waitlists as well), but when we're talking about literally hundreds of thousands of dollars, I'm going to be overcautious and take my damn time. It's pretty unfair to ask a student to make a decision without a package from EVERY school by May 15th.

The ultimate point is that you will be in violation of AMCAS rules by holding multiple acceptances after May 15 and the schools who accepted you can readily determine that you are holding multiple acceptances after the deadline. If you do so, it may come back to bite you in the butt in a very painful way. How would you like to kiss your acceptance from your #1 school goodbye?

ok, new question, this is for the whiners (i'm teasing you. i tease because i care):

how do withdraw? letter? email? phone call? can i make a video and put it on youtube? (it would probably just be stock footage of sexual references like trains going into tunnels with my letter overlaid in star wars style - that sounds classy, no?)

is there a sexier way?

ok, new question, this is for the whiners (i'm teasing you. i tease because i care):

how do withdraw? letter? email? phone call? can i make a video and put it on youtube? (it would probably just be stock footage of sexual references like trains going into tunnels with my letter overlaid in star wars style - that sounds classy, no?)

is there a sexier way?

I always wrote a nice letter that I sent by email as an attachment to the Dean of Admissions. I expressed my gratitude for the acceptance and said that I was withdrawing with some regret after careful consideration.

financial aid excuse?...excuse me but a $15,000 difference a year is a LIFE decision for me as well. I'll be happy to withdraw as soon as I get my fin aid packages. I understand you're waiting, but I am waiting as well so there is no need to be bitter about it. And, unless you heard otherwise, the fin aid officer has to put the package together...so, yes, I am waiting for him/her to do it for me.

U misunderstand me, i know of several people who just submitted their data and then never followed up on it.. i think its a pretty important deal to follow up on that and make sure you are taken care of and its not something to leave to chance. Those are the people this is directed at.

U misunderstand me, i know of several people who just submitted their data and then never followed up on it.. i think its a pretty important deal to follow up on that and make sure you are taken care of and its not something to leave to chance. Those are the people this is directed at.

I am with you on this one!

ok questions. I had 7 acceptances.. I withdrew from all but 1 ( I am only holding 1 as of now) still no fin package has arrived for the school I am holding. I just got off the wait list from 1 school today and still haven heard from another school ( I should hear friday next week may 9th). there is no way I will have fin aid package for 2 schools before May 15. Can I ask for an extention? I don't want to hold more that my share. I understand it is not fare to hold too many. The difference could but great like 50,000 or more over 4 years.

HEY as of this morning I was only holding 1. I just found out his morning about coming off my wait list... so I am holding 2 for like 12 hrs.... I haven't heard from a late interview I don't know even if I got in. I am just asking a question!!!!!!! I have dropped 5 schools already!!!!!! so what is your problem.

I believe you can ask for an extention but you may lose your dep but don't quote me

A friend sent me this article; I thought it was kinda interesting. It explains some reasons why it's hard to make decisions, but also how it's advantageous to do so! http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/26/science/26tier.html

It pertains to both those who are choosing from multiple acceptances, and those of us who are still waiting and looking for some closure.

Hurry up, May 15th! Good luck everyone!

I would respond but I can't decide what I should write to you.

ok questions. I had 7 acceptances.. I withdrew from all but 1 ( I am only holding 1 as of now) still no fin package has arrived for the school I am holding. I just got off the wait list from 1 school today and still haven heard from another school ( I should hear friday next week may 9th). there is no way I will have fin aid package for 2 schools before May 15. Can I ask for an extention? I don't want to hold more that my share. I understand it is not fare to hold too many. The difference could but great like 50,000 or more over 4 years.

dr midnight - congrats on all the acceptances and thanks for slimming things down pre-5/15. i'm sure you could email both schools and explain the situation ... since you're breakin med school hearts right left, i'm guessing that both remaining schools will be happy to give you an extension ... at least until you can get legit fin aid numbers to make a decision. can't hurt to ask.

is there a sexier way?

You, sir, are a true champion. I'm guessing you're interested in pediatrics? I've heard sexual innuendo goes over well there.

what kinda blows my mind is how behind the schools seem to be this year when it comes to everything (getting acceptances out, getting fin aid packages out, extending secondary deadlines, adding more interview dates, etc.). Anybody have any ideas for why this is? I'm inclined to believe at this point that waitlist movement is going to be later than usual as well.

Is is 5pm on May 15th, or midnight on May 15th, or some other time?

anyone know how long it usually takes for AMCAS to get updated after you've withdrawn from schools, so that you're only holding one acceptance (according to AMCAS)?

I've withdrawn from everywhere except my top choice, yet according to AMCAS I'm still holding 2 acceptances, and yes I phoned the one of those two that I've withdrawn, and I am indeed withdrawn. It was just about a week ago now, and I figured AMCAS would say I only have one acceptance by now.

My #1 choice happens to be one of those schools that revoke your acceptance if you hold multiple acceptances past May 15th, which is why this matters at all for me.

is there a sexier way?

i couldnt really decide so i did both emails and letters.. but you might be better off doing the youtube thing!

anyone know how long it usually takes for AMCAS to get updated after you've withdrawn from schools, so that you're only holding one acceptance (according to AMCAS)?

I've withdrawn from everywhere except my top choice, yet according to AMCAS I'm still holding 2 acceptances, and yes I phoned the one of those two that I've withdrawn, and I am indeed withdrawn. It was just about a week ago now, and I figured AMCAS would say I only have one acceptance by now.

My #1 choice happens to be one of those schools that revoke your acceptance if you hold multiple acceptances past May 15th, which is why this matters at all for me.

How do you find out what AMCAS knows??

Actually, how do you know the schools you withdrew from have gotten your letter? I haven't heard back from either of the two I withdrew from already... nor have I gotten my deposits back. How should I be following up?

How do you find out what AMCAS knows??

Actually, how do you know the schools you withdrew from have gotten your letter? I haven't heard back from either of the two I withdrew from already... nor have I gotten my deposits back. How should I be following up?

I would just call both of them really quickly to confirm that you did in fact withdraw and that they processed it. The office should be able to check for you in a matter of seconds, and then you would know for sure that your refund is coming. I've heard that some schools are very quick, but some are also brutally slow, in refunding your deposit.

One more question on this subject for all of you knowledgeable people...

Before May 15th do we need to notify the school we intend to go to? Or does the fact that we have not withdrawn our admission from their school imply we are coming. I would assume the latter since the initial deposit reserves our spot in the class, but I want to make sure.

Thanks!

i, for one, am definitely looking forward to may 15th!

Okay, so kinda late but how do I see what AMCAS and other medical schools see in terms of what acceptances I am holding? I've emailed all the schools that I'm withdrawing from but one of them did not email back to me and I can't seem to find time at work to call them (lame excuse, I know!). So where exactly do I have to go to in AMCAS to see this information?