1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

May 15 rule

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by osprey099, May 14, 2014.

  1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. osprey099

    osprey099 5+ Year Member

    1,377
    30
    Jan 26, 2011
    Am I allowed to hold on to 2 acceptances ON may 15th all the way until 11:59pm on may 15 or do I have to choose by 11:59pm on may 14th?
     
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. dancingmate

    dancingmate 2+ Year Member

    182
    34
    Jul 2, 2012
    MD
    I don't think there is a strict time. But to be fair to adcoms and waitlisted students, don't wait until the last minute. Make a decision as soon as you can and inform them during working hours.
     
  4. NickNaylor

    NickNaylor Daisy the Dog Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

    What possible difference does it make for you to make a decision today versus tomorrow? Rules aside, just make a decision. You probably aren't going to get any critical information that will change your decision between now and then unless you're waiting for financial aid info.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
    Leslie_Knope and dancingmate like this.
  5. osprey099

    osprey099 5+ Year Member

    1,377
    30
    Jan 26, 2011
    There was a holding deposit for school A (my top choice) that I sent in last week but for some reason, school A still hasn't received it in the mail yet. I've called them multiple times but they said they haven't received it yet. I don't want to give up school B until I am 100% sure school A got my deposit.

    Edit: and the holding deposit for school A is due may 15


    Posted using SDN Mobile
     
  6. Tri723

    Tri723 2+ Year Member

    745
    1,188
    Oct 24, 2013
    I'm in this same situation...the school sent me an accept yesterday.
     
  7. NickNaylor

    NickNaylor Daisy the Dog Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

    If you've already been accepted and sent in the deposit I suppose I don't understand the concern. Are you worried that school A will drop you because they supposedly haven't received the deposit?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
  8. osprey099

    osprey099 5+ Year Member

    1,377
    30
    Jan 26, 2011
    Yea, I am worried that school A will drop me because they said their deposit is due on may 15. Whether that means I need to mail it (postmarked) by may 15 or they need to receive it by may 15th, I have no idea. But the only thing I can control is keeping school B as a backup in case school A does drop me because they haven't received the deposit yet.
     
  9. ace12345

    ace12345 2+ Year Member

    751
    298
    Jun 7, 2012
    Do we need to do anything other than withdraw from all schools aside from one? Do we need to contact the school we elect to hold at all (Though I have spoken with them informally about fin aid, etc. is there anything else that needs to be done)?
     
  10. ANATOMYgirl22

    ANATOMYgirl22 2+ Year Member

    269
    41
    Oct 7, 2011
    Ann Arbor
    MDApps:
    Emails that I received from the schools that I'm still holding acceptances for indicated that they would like to know by 5:00pm tomorrow
     
  11. NickNaylor

    NickNaylor Daisy the Dog Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

    I'd recommend sending an email to the school you're planning on attending just because that seems like a nice thing to do. Similarly, it's nice to let the schools you're not planning on going to to let them know that.

    As far as the actual question, how about you call school A and clarify their deposit policy? If you let them know that you're planning on attending and that you postmarked the check on X I imagine you'll be fine. Communication is key.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
    clairephillips and mvenus929 like this.
  12. Narmerguy

    Narmerguy Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

    6,899
    1,305
    Jul 14, 2007
    Agreed, the easy way with most of these things is just to ask schools up front. They will be much happier not to have any surprises, and you'll be happier knowing for sure what is and isn't allowed.
     
  13. plumazul

    plumazul ☮, ♥, & ♫ 5+ Year Member

    1,924
    571
    Dec 15, 2011
    Yes, whenever this question was asked, the answer was always "by close of business" on the due date.
     
  14. EMDO2018

    EMDO2018 Banned Banned

    1,913
    1,211
    Oct 8, 2013
    I don't know
    I'm deciding between 2 schools and I still don't have financial aid info for one. I called the fin aid office but they are not answering their phone.
     
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
  15. clairephillips

    clairephillips 2+ Year Member

    663
    613
    Aug 24, 2013
    Okay, then my next move would be going by there today if it's close, or overnight another deposit if it isn't. The worst that can happen is you're out a little more money, but you have peace of mind.
     
  16. familyaerospace

    familyaerospace 7+ Year Member

    2,248
    1,052
    Nov 22, 2009
    In my books, GA
    From what I understand a lot of schools don't offer aid until after May 15.
     
  17. EMDO2018

    EMDO2018 Banned Banned

    1,913
    1,211
    Oct 8, 2013
    I don't know
    from what I know, a lot of people from the school I'm talking about already got their financial aid. For me that's either a really good or a really bad sign.
     
  18. lalalaaaaaa

    lalalaaaaaa 5+ Year Member

    765
    206
    Sep 29, 2011
    Why can't we hold multiple acceptances until we get Fin Aid info?
     

Share This Page