May 15th Countdown.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubssox2000

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay everyone. We are heading into the home stretch. Seeing as it is April 1, there are exactly 45 days until the waitlists start to really move. :eek:

Here's hoping that everyone who is hanging on for dear life to their waitlists get their dreams fulfilled! Only a month and a half to go!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay everyone. We are heading into the home stretch. Seeing as it is April 1, there are exactly 45 days until the waitlists start to really move. :eek:

Here's hoping that everyone who is hanging on for dear life to their waitlists get their dreams fulfilled! Only a month and a half to go!

Considering that you already have 2 acceptances, very nice gesture. I too hope the best for everyone clinging to those waitlists!

May 15th is also my graduation day. I can't wait! I'm so sick of school

Ugh, but I'm dreading having to make a decision...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm not excited for the decisions either. :scared:

I have a little countdown device in my sig file.... Come on may 15th!!!

As a person with no acceptances and two waitlists, I can't wait for May 15th. Come on waitlist movement!!

As a person with no acceptances and two waitlists, I can't wait for May 15th. Come on waitlist movement!!

Hey Davydude7,

I've been following your posts on the UC Davis thread and just wanted to let you know that i've been silently rooting for ya! Hope those waitlists become acceptances real soon. :luck:

what happens if we hold on to multiple acceptances after May 15th?

You can't. That's the whole point of the deadline, that you have to select one school to attend. It can still change, what with waitlist movement during the summer, but you can only hold one acceptance at a time after May 15th.

Firstly you'll lose your refundable-up-until-may-15th deposit. Secondly, schools at which you are holding acceptances will know that you have other acceptances (via AMCAS) and reserve the right to rescind your acceptance after that date. So not a great idea. You can be on as many waitlists as you want though.

Oh I see linguini, thanks for the explanation

Members don't see this ad :)
I would feel good if I were on ~ 10 WL's right now. But 4? Not so much...

I'm 97.389 (+/- 1.926) % sure I'll be class of 2014 or later, but I'm holding out that slight hope for c/o 2013 glory.
:luck::xf::luck::xf::luck::xf::luck::xf:
good luck to all.

I only want to go to one school- my number #1 choice!!! and I am on the waitlist :(. please please waitlist moveeee!. All the people holding soo many acceptances! Please let them GO!!!!!!! We all want to BREATHEEEEEEEEEEE, SLEEP, EAT and STUDY FOR FINALS!:confused: (esp people like me who have only 1 waitlist)

Last edited:
What do you guys think?

Are there that many people out there with multiple acceptances, that have not dropped out of places in which they are no longer interested??

I guess I am wondering how common that is (i.e.- most people wait until May 15 to drop multiple acceptances, around 50% do it, or only a small percentage of people do this?)

Anyone care to speculate?:)

I'm just wondering because I, too, am in waitlist agony!!!

What do you guys think?

Are there that many people out there with multiple acceptances, that have not dropped out of places in which they are no longer interested??

I guess I am wondering how common that is (i.e.- most people wait until May 15 to drop multiple acceptances, around 50% do it, or only a small percentage of people do this?)

Yes, the majority of people usually hold onto all or most of their acceptances until around May 15th because they are waiting on scholarships that they think they might get. It is extremely uncommon for waitlists to move before May 15th but don't worry, everything will pan out in the end once the *ssholes who are holding seats at 11 different schools are forced to withdraw from all of them except for 1.

4 waitlists here. Can't wait for waitlist movement. This is making me really depressed, since I just got the 4th one yesterday

I would feel good if I were on ~ 10 WL's right now. But 4? Not so much...

I'm 97.389 (+/- 1.926) % sure I'll be class of 2014 or later, but I'm holding out that slight hope for c/o 2013 glory.
:luck::xf::luck::xf::luck::xf::luck::xf:
good luck to all.

Disagree, i think your odds are pretty good, tho it depends on the waitlist history of the particular schools.

For me last cycle, 5 waitlists yielded one acceptance. Bet you get at least one!! Good luck!

Disagree, i think your odds are pretty good, tho it depends on the waitlist history of the particular schools.

For me last cycle, 5 waitlists yielded one acceptance. Bet you get at least one!! Good luck!

Thanks! :)

4 waitlists here as well. Would be happy to attend any one of the four. We'll see.

Yes, the majority of people usually hold onto all or most of their acceptances until around May 15th because they are waiting on scholarships that they think they might get. It is extremely uncommon for waitlists to move before May 15th but don't worry, everything will pan out in the end once the *ssholes who are holding seats at 11 different schools are forced to withdraw from all of them except for 1.

Thanks for the info Demas567!!!:D:thumbup:

Good luck!:luck:

Good luck to everyone waiting on that first acceptance. I was in your shoes last year, and I know how much it sucks. I hope it works out for all of you.

What do you guys think?

People aren't just waiting for scholarships. Aid packages can vary in different ways depending on how much money the institution can shell out. Plus some people have a hard time making decisions. If they really loved multiple schools, they might wait to revisit the schools or something. You never know.

On that notes, I let go of 2 acceptances this past week so good luck everyone!

I'm not applying until next year, but for some reason this is making me excited. Waitlist movement, what a thrilling prospect. Although I suppose for all of you it's rather stressful :p

Good luck to all of you.

It's not that hard to pick a school, I don't know why they make the deadline so far away. Classes should be full by March 15th, and student decisions in by April 1st. That's plenty of time. I had my mind made up well before I went on any interviews.

It's not that hard to pick a school, I don't know why they make the deadline so far away. Classes should be full by March 15th, and student decisions in by April 1st. That's plenty of time. I had my mind made up well before I went on any interviews.
Unless you have access to a whole load of inside information at various schools or have a pressing reason that one school is the only one you'd like to attend, that's kind of an unwise decision, don't you think?

Unless you have access to a whole load of inside information at various schools or have a pressing reason that one school is the only one you'd like to attend, that's kind of an unwise decision, don't you think?

No way man, I just ranked them by where I wanted to live. They were all of relatively equal quality (rank wise), so I just chose the places I would have the most fun at out of class.

Plus, if there was a question as to where you would go, wouldn't that be solved on interview day?

I just chose the places I would have the most fun at out of class.
Well, errr, that's gonna be a shockingly small amount of your time. At least you know you'll have fun when you can, though.
Plus, if there was a question as to where you would go, wouldn't that be solved on interview day?
Not really. The vast majority of pre-meds don't know much about the schools they're choosing between at all. Yeah, you can get location, cost, and curriculum down without much of a problem, but the things that you'll actually be doing from day to day are shrouded in mystery. What'll your class be like? How well does the curriculum actually work? What are the professors like? Exactly how much free time will you have? How difficult is it? How's the administration? What are the attendings like? What's clinic duty like? What's your daily schedule like? The list goes on. Most people don't get useful answers to any of those questions, let alone all of them. Interview day is particularly bad to go by since it's designed to make the school look all bright and shiny and cool. Chances are they're not going to tell you about the senile professor who would've been fired years ago if he wasn't tenured or the ******* attending who'll rock you during your IM rotation.

Well, errr, that's gonna be a shockingly small amount of your time. At least you know you'll have fun when you can, though.
Not really. The vast majority of pre-meds don't know much about the schools they're choosing between at all. Yeah, you can get location, cost, and curriculum down without much of a problem, but the things that you'll actually be doing from day to day are shrouded in mystery. What'll your class be like? How well does the curriculum actually work? What are the professors like? Exactly how much free time will you have? How difficult is it? How's the administration? What are the attendings like? What's clinic duty like? What's your daily schedule like? The list goes on. Most people don't get useful answers to any of those questions, let alone all of them. Interview day is particularly bad to go by since it's designed to make the school look all bright and shiny and cool. Chances are they're not going to tell you about the senile professor who would've been fired years ago if he wasn't tenured or the ******* attending who'll rock you during your IM rotation.

Yeah, but what are you going to do, fly back to all of the schools you interviewed at? I think most people just hold the acceptances, read some stuff online, then make a decision when they're absolutely forced too.

Either way it's fine. Some people just have a hard time making decisions.

Nah, you're right. Most people don't have any way to get that information. I'm just saying that knowing with certainty where you want to go is a virtual impossibility without some serious extenuating circumstances. You just have to make the best of what little knowledge you're given.

Nah, you're right. Most people don't have any way to get that information. I'm just saying that knowing with certainty where you want to go is a virtual impossibility without some serious extenuating circumstances. You just have to make the best of what little knowledge you're given.

And since you'll be making the best of what 'little knowledge' you're given, it shouldn't take that long to come up with a decision.

And since you'll be making the best of what 'little knowledge' you're given, it shouldn't take that long to come up with a decision.

It shouldn't take them that long to come out with f'in financial aid packages.

It shouldn't take them that long to come out with f'in financial aid packages.

I know seriously! I hounded my parents for weeks to get their taxes done so I could have my financial aid application complete by the "priority deadline," and a month and a half later I'm still waiting! Surely it's just a case of plugging the numbers into a computer program or something....shouldn't take nearly this long!

I saw that people are starting to get off the waitlists (special props to ONOY). Lets keep the countdown going!

20 days!!!

I saw that people are starting to get off the waitlists (special props to ONOY). Lets keep the countdown going!

20 days!!!

:)

I'd love to see everyone here get in somewhere :xf: After following everyone for the past year, I realize that pretty much every person here is deserving and genuine. Good luck to all! :luck::luck::luck:

I'm not sure if you guys noticed yet, but it looks like May 15th is on a Friday this year! That means we'll probably have ti wait until Monday, May 18th before we start to see movement. Talk about a long weekend!

Do most of the movement actually happen on May 15th? Or is that just the day most people decline/accept a spot in the schools, and the schools make more offers on subsequent days? (i.e. is May 15th actually the day most people on waitlists hear back about a decision)

Do most of the movement actually happen on May 15th? Or is that just the day most people decline/accept a spot in the schools, and the schools make more offers on subsequent days? (i.e. is May 15th actually the day most people on waitlists hear back about a decision)

I think it is usually the next day. However, this year that won't be for a few days because of the weekend...

I think it is usually the next day. However, this year that won't be for a few days because of the weekend...

I would suspect that most movement would take place over subsequent weeks as the schools sort out emails of who has withdrawn, how many students they need to accept, etc.

Most of the withdrawals will probably happen a few days before May 15, so there's a chance you won't have to wait until the 18th. That weekend sure will suck, though.

I would suspect that most movement would take place over subsequent weeks as the schools sort out emails of who has withdrawn, how many students they need to accept, etc.

A fair amount of movement actually does seem to happen right around May 15th, judging by last years wait list thread.

And of course, I'll be out of the country... :( I need to see about getting a skype out number or something.

wow, i cant wait until that day....... 19 days...so exciting....hopefully we all get in where we want...

Most of the withdrawals will probably happen a few days before May 15, so there's a chance you won't have to wait until the 18th. That weekend sure will suck, though.

Thats good to hear! I hope there is some movement by that Friday! :xf:

Some WLs are moving now!!!

(VCU and Miami for me, Pitt for other people... just not me yet!)

Fingers crossed for everyone!!!

:luck::xf::luck::xf::luck::xf:

Heres hoping!! :thumbup:

I'm not sure if you guys noticed yet, but it looks like May 15th is on a Friday this year! That means we'll probably have ti wait until Monday, May 18th before we start to see movement. Talk about a long weekend!

i was flipping through the calendar the other day and saw that too!

Here's the kicker: the following Monday is the day i leave the U.S. and will have limited email/phone access until July. hahhaha as if this whole process needed to be dragged out even more.

Oh wells. What's meant to be. :luck::luck::luck: