May 22nd, 2009 Mcat takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc4432

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is for all of you that plan on taking the mcat may 22nd. wondering when/how everyone is gonna be studying. I have a bunch of old kaplan books and plan on taking a kaplan class. I haven't started any intense studying yet, maybe after finals. lemme know

Members don't see this ad.

Just 32'd (10-11-11) AAMC 7 making my average a 31 on the tests so far. Ugh.. I would be completely happy with a 31 on the real deal but I don't like my average being so close to the tipping point into the 20s. Not comfortable.

I've been busy taking these damn finals. Now that I'm done, i've got one week to take the last three AAMC tests. The last one I took was AAMC7, and I scored the same as you. 10-10-12 though. Goodluck

I think if I REALLY FOCUS on these tests, I can score at least 4 points higher...

4R- 10, 11, 10 31
3R- 11, 10, 12 33
5R- 11, 10, 9 30 (finished bio w 30 mins left and didnt check over it)
7R- 11, 8, 10 29 (verbal I was zoning out)

33 is the goal, 34-35 would be awesome!

Yeah just get used to taking long tests and your focus will improve. Keep taking tests until you get better at focusing.

I've been busy taking these damn finals. Now that I'm done, i've got one week to take the last three AAMC tests. The last one I took was AAMC7, and I scored the same as you. 10-10-12 though. Goodluck

Thanks and same to you... I take AAMC 8 tomorrow so we'll see.

Knowing concepts has nothing to do with scoring anymore as I am comfortable with almost all the areas. It is just timing and making sure I read the question and extract information from the passage correctly.

Almosttttttt done. (Hopefully)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking this test as well.

I was doing really well through 8. Then, finals hit and I couldn't do anything for a couple weeks, and I've lost some confidence and feel like I've forgotten a lot. I just dropped 5 points below my 3 - 8 average on 9. Is this something I should worry about and really hit the books hard again, or do you think I should just relax? I'm really stuck as to what to do. I don't want to burn out any more than I already have.

Good luck everyone and thanks for the help

I'm taking this test as well.

I was doing really well through 8. Then, finals hit and I couldn't do anything for a couple weeks, and I've lost some confidence and feel like I've forgotten a lot. I just dropped 5 points below my 3 - 8 average on 9. Is this something I should worry about and really hit the books hard again, or do you think I should just relax? I'm really stuck as to what to do. I don't want to burn out any more than I already have.

Good luck everyone and thanks for the help

Take it easy man. Take a day off. Just make sure that when you take the next practice test you're extremely focused. If you feel frustrated and unfocused on your prac test, the score will suffer. You'll be all right.

Thanks and same to you... I take AAMC 8 tomorrow so we'll see.

Knowing concepts has nothing to do with scoring anymore as I am comfortable with almost all the areas. It is just timing and making sure I read the question and extract information from the passage correctly.

Almosttttttt done. (Hopefully)

Yeah I'm taking AAMC 8 on Saturday. I need another day to refresh physics formulas and ochem reactions before I take another test. Let us know how you did zona.

Just finished AAMC 8

10, 10, 10= 30

I guess I can't complain because my goal is to get all in the double digits, but I think I can get a bigger score on physical sciences to help my overall.

(Wont reveal anything about the test so Zona can be surprised, hah)

Good luck all. I've been taking the first 6 kaplan tests and then i'm taking AAMC 9 on Sat and then AAMC 10 on Wed.

I've been doing pretty well on kaplan, so hopefully that translates to AAMC!

Im scared :( I cant believe a week from now I am going to be sitting at the testing center taking it--just thinking about it creates a false sense of needing to go pee. I take aamc9 on sat and then 10 on wed and tie up the loose ends in between those days. Good luck to all you guys :)

AAMC 8: 31

Uggggh. Verbal was HORRIBLE. I am always usually at least a 10+ in verbal.. mostly 11-12. BS was okay but i made some very dumb O-Chem mistakes. I am surprised but happy with my PS 12 as that's been my weakest area but also my area of highest concentration lately so I guess it makes sense.

Not happy with the VR though this close to the real deal. Will definitely be doing one of the few EK 101's I have left later today.

Another one finished

AAMC6: 12, 10, 10 = 32

much better.. just need to work on test-taking skills on bio and i should be good to go

Wow dezart, did you take two practice tests in one day?

And Zona... you're scaring me before I take AAMC 8 tomorrow morning. Good job though

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow dezart, did you take two practice tests in one day?

And Zona... you're scaring me before I take AAMC 8 tomorrow morning. Good job though

Hahaha you will be fine! :thumbup:

I kind of spent 20 minutes on the first two passages and then had to speed read through the rest. Woops.

One passage was just super lame and destroyed me.

Omg yeah, the verbal section on AAMC 8 was ridiculous!!! Spent way to much time on the first few passages, makes me rethink my timing. And robflanker i havent gotten to kaplan 6 yet but maybe i'll take it now for confidence! It's so weird how the kaplan test PS section make you feel like you just got a 2 compared to the AAMC... makes me worry that the real MCAT will be a Kaplan PS and a AAMC verbal haha...

Does anyone feel like practice tests don't really help you improve? I feel like I'm not learning anything even during my post game analysis, and then don't know what to study after!!

Im scared :( I cant believe a week from now I am going to be sitting at the testing center taking it--just thinking about it creates a false sense of needing to go pee. I take aamc9 on sat and then 10 on wed and tie up the loose ends in between those days. Good luck to all you guys :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA THAT MADE MY DAY :thumbup: :scared: :laugh:

Omg yeah, the verbal section on AAMC 8 was ridiculous!!! Spent way to much time on the first few passages, makes me rethink my timing. And robflanker i havent gotten to kaplan 6 yet but maybe i'll take it now for confidence! It's so weird how the kaplan test PS section make you feel like you just got a 2 compared to the AAMC... makes me worry that the real MCAT will be a Kaplan PS and a AAMC verbal haha...

Does anyone feel like practice tests don't really help you improve? I feel like I'm not learning anything even during my post game analysis, and then don't know what to study after!!

I actually "upped" my already high post-game analysis and it really does help somehow! have faith!!

and i did one test yesterday, one today, day off tomorrow :thumbup:

"6 Days"

One of my family members said that to me this morning and I wanted to smack them... DONT REMIND ME!!

And robflanker i havent gotten to kaplan 6 yet but maybe i'll take it now for confidence!

Let me know how you do.

I just took AAMC 9 and did prety poorly. The VS was terrible as ever. I know its not scored like this but my raw percentage correct was amongst the best i've done but my scaled score was amongst the worse.

these curves are brutal sometimes

I purposely don't plan on taking 8 since I knew that it was gonna be hard. I just hope my real score reflect the scores I get on the AAMC practice tests.

AAMC 5: 14 10 13 (37)
AAMC 7: 13 09 13 (35)
AAMC 9: 12 11 13 (36)

Took 8 TPRs and the marks have a huge fluctuation. I don't really care much about the sciences, I only worry that my VR won't be double digit.

Gonna try AAMC 10 and AAMC 6 next week.

Just finished taking 8.
9P/10V/11B - 30

Well... I can't complain. I am averaging a 30. But the last one I took (AAMC7) I made a 32, so I was hoping that I was on a miraculous upward trend. This really just destroyed my day.

Does anyone know what percent of MCAT takers actually score a 30 and above? It would really make me feel better right about now.

I hate my life.

An average score would be in the mid 20s. A 30 would be considered above average (70 percentile?). Not to mention AAMC8 is one of the harder ones, hence I wouldn't feel so ticked off if I were you.

Keep it up!

Thanks for the kind words. Is that the general concensus? AAMC 8 is harder? I heard that AAMC 8-10 were the most accurate representation of your score.

AAMC 8 just seemed harder. One of my friends taught the verbal section for TPR and got a 15 on Verbal and a T on the writing section (so he tells me) and he said when he took it he got a 33 on AAMC 8, a 38 on AAMC 9, and then a 39T on the real thing. So I'm hoping for happiness for all of us on AAMC 9!

I hope that's true. I seemed to be okay in PS on 8 but BS was lame and verbal atrocious. Kind of sad that I am a biology major who has always hated Gen Chem and Physics too. Odd.

Anyways. I have 9 and 10 left to take but not really sure how to space them. I was thinking Monday-Wednesday.

Yeah I think I'm going to do them monday and wednesday as well! So Friday we can pretend it's just another AAMC ahhhhhhhh :xf:

Looks like a few are taking AAMC 9 tomorrow...

I will be joining you, good luck! (I'm even doing the writing section this time.. ugh)

Looks like a few are taking AAMC 9 tomorrow...

I will be joining you, good luck! (I'm even doing the writing section this time.. ugh)

Hahaha ya. I have been doing the first prompt. It's all BS and I seem to be able to write a lot of BS when needed so I am not too worried. I will also be doing them full out though for 9 and 10 just to get a feel for the extra time it takes/stamina.

I hadn't even thought about that. I think I will do the same. I'm taking it tomorrow as well. Are you guys taking the test at 8 AM?

I have been writing it at approximately 8 AM, but I think I will try some WS in the next few tests. I'm just trying to get a feel for early morning exams rather than exact time since all the past MCAT that I've wrote never started on time (ranged between 30 min to 1.5 hour delay)

I hadn't even thought about that. I think I will do the same. I'm taking it tomorrow as well. Are you guys taking the test at 8 AM?

So far mine have been at about 9am. I hate mornings and did not want to wake up any earlier :sleep:.

For 9 and 10 though I plan to start at 8am.

I will probably try to do mine at 8am tomorrow... however my main concern on the day of is driving 1.5 hours the day before Memorial Day weekend, getting stuck in traffic, having trouble parking, and getting lost.

The hard part will be over once I've gotten to the testing center...

^ that's actually a good thing. At least you'll be more relaxed once you're at the test centre.

I will probably try to do mine at 8am tomorrow... however my main concern on the day of is driving 1.5 hours the day before Memorial Day weekend, getting stuck in traffic, having trouble parking, and getting lost.

The hard part will be over once I've gotten to the testing center...

Ouch that sucks!

Google Maps/GPS-it upppp

^ that's actually a good thing. At least you'll be more relaxed once you're at the test centre.

Haha I was just gonna ask if you were Canadian because of 'centre' but I see you are from Toronto. Awesome.. I love going there. Probably one of my favorite cities to go to and party (and it's closer to me than NYC).

cool, so you guys are taking the same exams i am, hope all of us "click" on friday morning!

i took ammc 8 today, i thought it was harder than the previous few,
i only got a 9 on Physical Sciences, anyone else think that section was pretty bad?

i also thought that second passage in verbal sucked... and I was getting the same score in bio that i get every test... any thoughts?

cool, so you guys are taking the same exams i am, hope all of us "click" on friday morning!

i only got a 9 on Physical Sciences, anyone else think that section was pretty bad?

i also thought that second passage in verbal sucked... and I was getting the same score in bio that i get every test... any thoughts?

First off sorry, I feel creepy when I reply to people so fast haha.
Anyway, I scored about a point lower on the physical sciences than I usually do on test 8, but got my normal score on verbal for the test. It's pretty much agreed from what I see that 8 is the toughest one. Let's hope so..

For AAMC 8 I was:

Above average on PS.
Below average on BS.
Below average on VR.

I think we can all agree verbal sucked.

you know what? i think there is a slight trend in what we all think, but in the end everybody is a little different in their strengths and weaknesses per passage. I didn't think verbal sucked except for one passage, and I thought Bio was typical of the rest, but i thought physical sciences had some solubility and the water pressure stuff that may have threw me alittle off. so it's quite possible you get your dream mcat and can do +2 on your aamc or you get the one that doesn't feel too comfortable and get -2 and the one that is typical and get the same score, that's my take anyway. there is in fact a certain amount of luck considering the difference between a 28 and a 31 could very well be only 3 questions...

I couldn't agree with you more. I scored a 9 on Physical science as well, when I usually never score below a 10. The Verbal second passage was a bitch, but other than that, I did well (I made a 10). Bio was normal.

lol... that second passage from aamc 8 was ridiculous i got 1 right and still managed to score a 10 overall

I'm taking the day off because I literally couldn't do anything yesterday... I even had a beer last night since I knew I wouldn't be studying today (shocking)... but I still couldn't help checking this thread, haha! Hoping this day is going to make me feel so guilty that I will study hard for the next 4 (eek)