May MCATers of the world, unite!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kraazy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd start a thread for mutual support/commiseration/study advice for us May MCATers.

I tried to not have this test take over my life, but I'm pretty sure I'm failing at that. I slacked off on studying for almost all of Feb, and now I have to go at it full force. I'm trying to finish reviewing the material (ugh!) without burning out. After that, it will be practice, practice, practice so that I can kill the MCAT and have a shot at MSTP. I'd love to hear how the rest of you are doing!

Btw, is it totally crazy to shoot for a 40? (At least if I miss I'll land on a 36? maybe? no? oh well...)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Kraazy, nice motivational thread!

It's weird - one day the MCAT seemed so far away, then all of the sudden - crap! 10 weeks to go! Now it's less than 8 and I've already got butterflies in my stomach!

OH, and it's great to shoot for a 40. Why not shoot for a 45? Own it!

I took the January MCAT and got a 19k!!! I am gonna do it again in May...any advice??? I don't think I did enough practice problems/ exams.:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am taking the MCAT for the first time May 11! Aiming for a 45! Almost done with the bio review, then will spend 3 more weeks reviewing all the other parts. Then i will do practice test after practice test.I am using the 2004 Kaplan Comp book for my review and have practice tests from barron, Princeton Review and Kaplan.

great thread...same here, it seemed like so long ago and now all of a sudden..mcat is quickly approaching..
can ppl start posting their progress...i feel like i'm so behind - reviewing the material is painful
i only finished reviewing g.chem
chap 4 on bio (TPR)
chap 2 physics (TPR)
haven't touched orgo yet! or verbal for that matter

I'm in too. I've gone over gen chem and now i'm finishing up reviewing biology. Then i'll spend the next 3 weeks or so going over physics and organic while trying to keep everything else fresh as well. After that it'll be nothing but practice, practice, practice! I'm aiming for a 45 but i'll be thrilled with a 35 personally ;)

I'm taking it 5/31, which is apparently a very popular day. I almost couldn't get a seat anywhere within 100 miles of where I live. I guess registering 10 weeks in advance isn't enough ahead of time. Anyway, I would very much LOVE a 40+ because I could really use some major scholarship $$$, and some schools (like my alma mater) have a cutoff of 36 for consideration.

All this stress is taking its toll though. I mean, I should get used to it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck. I barely have time to sleep between finishing my master's thesis, getting my journal manuscripts together, trying to find a place to hire me for the next year, and MCAT studying. Lack of sleep = good practice for a medical career, I guess.

I'm taking it 5/31, which is apparently a very popular day. I almost couldn't get a seat anywhere within 100 miles of where I live. I guess registering 10 weeks in advance isn't enough ahead of time. Anyway, I would very much LOVE a 40+ because I could really use some major scholarship $$$, and some schools (like my alma mater) have a cutoff of 36 for consideration.

All this stress is taking its toll though. I mean, I should get used to it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck. I barely have time to sleep between finishing my master's thesis, getting my journal manuscripts together, trying to find a place to hire me for the next year, and MCAT studying. Lack of sleep = good practice for a medical career, I guess.
That is quite true, that's why I registered for my may 31 exam two days after registration began and even then I didn't get my top choice at location.

Currently near the tail end of my kaplan program (it's designed for april test takers) and I've taken five practice exams (30+ on all except for AAMC 3...). I plan on taking one cbt every week Thursday from noon to four PM to get my body used to sitting in front of a computer working hard at that time.

Aaargh... SDN forums are *killing* my MCAT studying. 7 weeks to go, I haven't yet gone through all the content, and it all seems to go in one ear and out the other...

I haven't gone through all the content either, but I am doing the 10-week schedule, so eventually I'll get through it.

Well, I guess I've been through all the material at some point in classes, just haven't steadily reviewed through.

joining the thread. May 31st MCATer here. I am using EK all the way plus nova phys and orgo as second language for review. So far i am done with lectures 1-4 bio, 1,2,3,7 phys, 1,2 gchem and 1,2 orgo.I plan on finishing all of the material by the end of this week (since i have spring brake now and nothing better to do LOL). I also did all of the verbal book yesterday and listen to AO after each lecture multiple times. I plan on doing the first FL verbal from EK 101 tomorow, i am just not sure if i should take the old format length or shorten it and come up with some kind of conversion.
I haven't taken FLs yet because i am scared of getting a bad score. I want to take it once i am done reviewing the material (so next sunday).
I am totally terrified of this whole exam:scared:
:luck: to all of you guys:luck:

I had to postpone my date from April till May because of personal things going on, that was kind of a downer. I have reviewed half of Physics, all of GCHEM, no OCHEM, and half of Bio. I think I should be ok as long as i take the time to nail down physical sciences. Verbal is a whole different story. I am really really weak in this area and I hope 2 passages from EK will help me boost my score.

I need to quit playing XBOX 360 and get ontop of this! :p

May 25th here. I just pushed it back from May 16 cause my last final's not til the 11th (my 21st birthday... should be fun..). I'm currently trying to battle physics AND the mcat and I'm starting to have constantly purple under-eyes. :luck: all

Members don't see this ad :)
Just registered for the May 11 test date. Had to fork out $210!! Anywhoo, I have been reviewing for quite a while now . So i have covered most of the material in physics, g.chem, and bio. I tutor orgo, however, the TPR practice orgo problems make me feel inept. That is going to be my next review. I originally wanted to take the test on April 16th but a "sudden" two weeks trip to Orlando Disney cut me off my study mode...hehehe.I have yet to do any full length practice problem. I'm basically going through the TPR Science Workbook which is quite voluminous. Starting next month,i'm going to be doing full length practice to give myself stamina. I've discovered that I feel dazed and burnt out just after doing 5 passages. I figure I have a whole month to get my body in shape for the test....By the way, anyone else using the TPR Verbal Workbook?It's not as bad as i've heard in the forum.

I am taking it May 11th here in Orange County, Ca. I took it last August and got a 29N... so hopefully this time... with a little more practice with verbal... I can break a 33+.

I am retaking TPR for April test for only $300 bucks. I've been reviewing a lot... in fact... I am going to take CBT 4 today =P.

May 25th here. I just pushed it back from May 16 cause my last final's not til the 11th (my 21st birthday... should be fun..). I'm currently trying to battle physics AND the mcat and I'm starting to have constantly purple under-eyes. :luck: all
If i can give you a piece of advice get Nova physics book. It really is awsome.
Physics is my strong subject but that book really helps a lot. If you have any questions just let me know.:luck:

for all of you guys. This is the best website for gen chem. I think it explains stuff better then EK book. Really worth looking at their tutorials and step by step explanation to problems:D
http://www2.wwnorton.com/college/chemistry/gilbert/overview/ch1.htm

I switched from April to 5/31 recently (this way I can have 4 weeks after finals to dedicate to MCAT studying). I was just wondering what you guys think about whether getting our scores back in mid/end of June will have any actual adverse impact on our applications. I thought that it wouldn't matter because it takes a week or two in June to get verified first (which we can get started by clicking "submit" on June 1 without our MCAT scores), and the fact that a lot of schools send secondaries out that you can get started on before you get your score. And, we can have our letters sent out. So why do some people still say that it WILL matter, and that rolling admissions means rolling admissions, and that people who have their MCAT scores on June 1st are definitely in a better position. Theoretically, I agree. But practically? With the additional time it takes to get secondaries in? Shouldn't that equalize the difference between a May MCAT taker and a pre-May MCAT taker? Thoughts?

Just registered for the May 11 test date. Had to fork out $210!! Anywhoo, I have been reviewing for quite a while now . So i have covered most of the material in physics, g.chem, and bio. I tutor orgo, however, the TPR practice orgo problems make me feel inept. That is going to be my next review. I originally wanted to take the test on April 16th but a "sudden" two weeks trip to Orlando Disney cut me off my study mode...hehehe.I have yet to do any full length practice problem. I'm basically going through the TPR Science Workbook which is quite voluminous. Starting next month,i'm going to be doing full length practice to give myself stamina. I've discovered that I feel dazed and burnt out just after doing 5 passages. I figure I have a whole month to get my body in shape for the test....By the way, anyone else using the TPR Verbal Workbook?It's not as bad as i've heard in the forum.

I'm also studying for the may mcat. I'm going to take it either may 25th or may 31st. I'm using TPR materials, Audio Osmosis, and I plan on buying the CBT. Maybe we can motivate each other and help with questions.

I'm taking the may 25th test in Illinois but i'm from oklahoma. My question is I'm weak in physics but stong in biology. I'm using the kaplans flash cards, whats good for physics study? What have you been seeing on practice test? I'm concerned about what formulas I need to know.

If i can give you a piece of advice get Nova physics book. It really is awsome.
Physics is my strong subject but that book really helps a lot. If you have any questions just let me know.:luck:

I've got Kaplan's materials and my physics course's book, and a Schaum's outline (which sucks..)... you think it's worth it, or do I have enough physics to drown a rat already?

I agree w/Dr. Kicia. Nova Physics is invaluable. Get it asap. You definitely will be glad you did. I have Schaum's outline as well (which I got to help me with my Physics I class last semester). Nova is MUCH better and I felt it is much more geared to MCAT-like problems. Physics is my real weakness, and EK Physics and EK Physics 1001 just wasn't enough. I don't know about Kaplan's materials.

I've got Kaplan's materials and my physics course's book, and a Schaum's outline (which sucks..)... you think it's worth it, or do I have enough physics to drown a rat already?

well i had Kaplan course physics book and it was crap. It was like listening to a boring profesor lecture about something without getting into a point.
I love Nova. It's short, concrete and explains how to do problems rather then just plain theory. Plus after each topic you have passage based practice problems. I love it. Another book worth getting is Berkeley review physics (it also has passages after each lecture and i get to use it on the topics i don't understand quite well since it is really in depth, even more then my text book). I use both of them and then listen to AO and sometimes skim thru EK physics(though i do not recomend that book if you are weaker in physics, it tends to be just skin and bones of the information you need).
You can get nova on amazon for like 18 bucks. :luck:

P.s. i mentioned Berkeley review books.
I really recomend them. If you can get your hands on phys and chemistry books on ebay.com buy them. They are really well written. I have all of them but i do not use bio or orgo that much since they seem to be going into much more detail then needed. I think bio EK is the master. I love it. Has absolutely everything you need nothing more nothing less. As for orgo i recomend "Orgo as a second language" by Dr.Klein. Amazing orgo book. It has every single topic you need for the MCAT(except for spectroscopy) and tons of practice problems.

TPR physics book sucks... I use Ek's physics book and it works for me... but I enjoy physics and it comes to me easily.

I am this close to finishing trudging through the material for the first time. Of course, I can't retain anything for more than 3 days...I plan on taking the next 4 weeks to do an intensive review, 1 subject a week with EK and focus on memorizing stuff, with 1 or 2 FLs a week. Then I will use the remaining 10 days or so to go skim through all the material one more time and do 2-3 FLs.

This thing is like a full-time job unto itself. I'm spending ~30 hours/wk on this (if not more), which sucks on top of my actual full-time job!

I pushed my April test date back to May, I really needed to the extra time.

I'm also studying for the may mcat. I'm going to take it either may 25th or may 31st. I'm using TPR materials, Audio Osmosis, and I plan on buying the CBT. Maybe we can motivate each other and help with questions.
Definitely. PM me!

TPR physics book sucks... I use Ek's physics book and it works for me... but I enjoy physics and it comes to me easily.

I love the TPR physics. It's big but it gives you a clear understanding of the concepts from top to bottom. I first started out with the EK physics book but could barely understand a thing because the book was too skimpy and the language was not flowing. Same goes for the EK chem. I took one EK 30-minute physics exam at the back of the book score a 7. However, after studying with the TPR i get 11's and 12's on EK 30-minutes. For some reason EK tend to have a habit of posing questions on things not fully covered on their materials.

Well its official, I just registered for the May 25th MCAT!!! I guess its for real now. I have the next 3 weeks mostly free so I plan to get all my studying in now and then practice and review until the test date. Took my first FL Saturday and got a 31 7PS 14V 10BS, but I was lucky for the 7 thats my real weak point.

Well its official, I just registered for the May 25th MCAT!!! I guess its for real now. I have the next 3 weeks mostly free so I plan to get all my studying in now and then practice and review until the test date. Took my first FL Saturday and got a 31 7PS 14V 10BS, but I was lucky for the 7 thats my real weak point.

Verbal master! :eek: