Maybe patients aren't crazy about their generics' efficacy.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Just freaking great. Here comes the endless string of recalls for Mylan products. As if the Ethex recall wasn't fun enough. I am beginning to think there are no morals or ethics in healthcare once you get past the individual practioners. Insurance is a money making racket and don’t get me started on PBM’s and now this from one of the largest generic makers. Sad.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whew...I sure feel better.

A quote from the above referenced article:

Roughly a week after the breach was discovered, Mylan's quality assurance team had concluded that no medications were compromised, the report said. It did not say how the company made that determination.

In response to the breach, the report said, two union workers were suspended for 15 days and Mylan's quality team was to provide additional training and "evaluate the possibility" of revisions to the computerized quality control data management system used on the production line.
 
"Three days after that anonymous call, Mylan concluded that "employees were not given passwords from supervisors." Instead, they were able to clear red screens on their own by using the "right click" function of their computer mouse, the report said."

Watch out for the right click, you bumbling fools.

WVU, these folks obviously didn't ask themselves WWJWD?
 
Wow...

"Those judgments are not to be made by the people who are making [the tablets and capsules]," said Dr. Akers, the industry consultant who specializes in regulatory compliance. Overriding a red screen once is a serious problem and, according to the report, Mylan workers did it many times, he said.

Somehow... the idea of factory workers determining what is safe and effective is very scary.

Regardless of the practices other companies keep - faith in generics will be further undermined...
 
Ha, I just added Tweety Bird to my list of favorite people. I had no idea there were so many hilljack heroes.

Hell, if human civilization ended...and then when the aliens visit...they'll think we worshiped the man here in Morgantown.

2301480294_fda1d32a4b.jpg


You should see the thing in real life. It's ridiculous.

I've been trying to get them to make one for Don Knotts, too. Hahaha.
 
You think the quality control is better at name brand plants?

The Paxil "spit pill" class action lawsuit alleges that Paxil "controlled release" (CR) tablets made between April 1, 2002 and March 4, 2005, contained a manufacturing defect that caused them to split apart. According to the complaint, Paxil CR tablets are intended to deliver the active ingredient over a period of time, and not all at once. When one splits apart, the outside coat breaks up and the drug is released while the tablets are still in the stomach. Patients end up with all of the active ingredient, without the benefits of the controlled-release, and received the entire dose at once. Or they get only the controlled-release ingredient without the active ingredients, the complaint says.

In March 2005, armed marshals with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) raided GlaxoSmithKline plants in Puerto Rico and Tennessee after learning that some pills manufactured there had split apart. The FDA had originally discovered the problem at the Puerto Rico plant in February 2002, and the problem continued despite repeated warnings and inspections, the complaint charges.
http://www.yourlawyer.com/articles/read/16314

More information here.

This has nothing to do with generic vs brand drugs and everything to do with profit.
 
We don't have Paxil CR in Canada, and just asking: why would you need a controlled-release dosage form for a drug that has a half-life of 21 h?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Drugs suck.

I say we go back to bloodletting. I'm sure it worked for a few people.

how awesome would it be to dispense leaches? It would make the whimpy whiny pharmacy students cry to counsel on those bad boys. How exciting!
 
Technically speaking, medicinal leeches are used for anticoagulation... rather than blood letting.

Maggots are used for debridement of dead tissues in wound care.
 
Wow, you really are a slave laborer. Our techs do that job :meanie:

Did you ever put one on your arm just for haha's? I proly would.

This month I was orienting in the main pharmacy - I worked with leeches at my old hospital so it didn't bug me much.

They get thrown away after they're used - considered biohazardous waste, so I probably would not put one on me. It does crack me up when they get named - moreso by the patients, but funny even when from the nurses.
 
What's the shelf life on those bad boys? The only cool thing we dispense is beer and bovine mycobaterium
 
They live in the fridge for months I believe. We usually dipense them prn, 1 or 2 at a time (I usually see them Q4H)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad