Maybe patients aren't crazy about their generics' efficacy.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist

MountainPharmD

custodiunt illud simplex
10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
Just freaking great. Here comes the endless string of recalls for Mylan products. As if the Ethex recall wasn't fun enough. I am beginning to think there are no morals or ethics in healthcare once you get past the individual practioners. Insurance is a money making racket and don’t get me started on PBM’s and now this from one of the largest generic makers. Sad.

MountainPharmD

custodiunt illud simplex
10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
Whew...I sure feel better.

A quote from the above referenced article:

Roughly a week after the breach was discovered, Mylan's quality assurance team had concluded that no medications were compromised, the report said. It did not say how the company made that determination.

In response to the breach, the report said, two union workers were suspended for 15 days and Mylan's quality team was to provide additional training and "evaluate the possibility" of revisions to the computerized quality control data management system used on the production line.

rphello

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
"Three days after that anonymous call, Mylan concluded that "employees were not given passwords from supervisors." Instead, they were able to clear red screens on their own by using the "right click" function of their computer mouse, the report said."

Watch out for the right click, you bumbling fools.

WVU, these folks obviously didn't ask themselves WWJWD?

aboveliquidice

No sacrifice - No victory
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
San Antonio, TX
Status
Pharmacist
Wow...

"Those judgments are not to be made by the people who are making [the tablets and capsules]," said Dr. Akers, the industry consultant who specializes in regulatory compliance. Overriding a red screen once is a serious problem and, according to the report, Mylan workers did it many times, he said.

Somehow... the idea of factory workers determining what is safe and effective is very scary.

Regardless of the practices other companies keep - faith in generics will be further undermined...

OP
WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist
WVU, these folks obviously didn't ask themselves WWJWD?
Jerry West would leave WV and play in the NBA. Duh.

OP
WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist
Ha, I just added Tweety Bird to my list of favorite people. I had no idea there were so many hilljack heroes.
Hell, if human civilization ended...and then when the aliens visit...they'll think we worshiped the man here in Morgantown.

You should see the thing in real life. It's ridiculous.

I've been trying to get them to make one for Don Knotts, too. Hahaha.

Old Timer

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
You think the quality control is better at name brand plants?

The Paxil "spit pill" class action lawsuit alleges that Paxil "controlled release" (CR) tablets made between April 1, 2002 and March 4, 2005, contained a manufacturing defect that caused them to split apart. According to the complaint, Paxil CR tablets are intended to deliver the active ingredient over a period of time, and not all at once. When one splits apart, the outside coat breaks up and the drug is released while the tablets are still in the stomach. Patients end up with all of the active ingredient, without the benefits of the controlled-release, and received the entire dose at once. Or they get only the controlled-release ingredient without the active ingredients, the complaint says.

In March 2005, armed marshals with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) raided GlaxoSmithKline plants in Puerto Rico and Tennessee after learning that some pills manufactured there had split apart. The FDA had originally discovered the problem at the Puerto Rico plant in February 2002, and the problem continued despite repeated warnings and inspections, the complaint charges.
http://www.yourlawyer.com/articles/read/16314

More information here.

This has nothing to do with generic vs brand drugs and everything to do with profit.

Pharmavixen

foxy pharmacist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2008
Canada
Status
Pharmacist
We don't have Paxil CR in Canada, and just asking: why would you need a controlled-release dosage form for a drug that has a half-life of 21 h?

Old Timer

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
We don't have Paxil CR in Canada, and just asking: why would you need a controlled-release dosage form for a drug that has a half-life of 21 h?
Silly girl, to keep sales up once the generic came out. That's the only reason.....

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist

Duh... CR = Continuous Revenue.

Quiksilver

Secundum Artem PharmD
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Status
Pharmacist
Drugs suck.

I say we go back to bloodletting. I'm sure it worked for a few people.
how awesome would it be to dispense leaches? It would make the whimpy whiny pharmacy students cry to counsel on those bad boys. How exciting!

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Technically speaking, medicinal leeches are used for anticoagulation... rather than blood letting.

Maggots are used for debridement of dead tissues in wound care.

OP
WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist

njac

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
Now headed all the way west!
Status
Pharmacist
Wow, you really are a slave laborer. Our techs do that job :smuggrin:

Did you ever put one on your arm just for haha's? I proly would.
This month I was orienting in the main pharmacy - I worked with leeches at my old hospital so it didn't bug me much.

They get thrown away after they're used - considered biohazardous waste, so I probably would not put one on me. It does crack me up when they get named - moreso by the patients, but funny even when from the nurses.

Quiksilver

Secundum Artem PharmD
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Status
Pharmacist
What's the shelf life on those bad boys? The only cool thing we dispense is beer and bovine mycobaterium

OP
WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus