Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll tell you what, a lot of pharmacy students seem to be a lot more self-deprecating and negative esp. in regards to their profession. If you aren't proud of the important role you play in health care and if you don't respect the career how can anyone else respect it or come to trust your services? This isn't about bragging, it's about self respect and it is even partially an ethical issue. I mean if you take your job as a joke, and not really worthwhile, something that can be done by stupid people etc. Then your not going to be doing a very good job. If you respect the field, then you will be putting your all into it.
Honest question - how much of this do you think is due to most pharmacists still being Bpharms? Of the bpharms that I know, most of them still seem a little surprised that their profession has taken off so much in terms of both salary and new career options, because it wasn't a "hot" profession when they majored in it ~25 years ago in college, it was more of a conservative "druggist" position (from what I gather at least - please tell me if not accurate but that is the vibe I pick up).
I am ***not*** saying they don't respect their field, just that they seem a little --- suprised? uncomfortable? irritated? --- at the hotter profile it's gotten over the past few years. So maybe they are downplaying it as a result? Just a thought.
If I wanted to get into medical school I can. And I can definetly pass classes in med school too b/c I did that for a semester at Columbia (w/o studying on weekends). So getting into med school and getting by is not very hard. However in order to get into a Derm residency or surgery, you have to be #1 or #2 in your class. That is something that I cannot do mainly b/c of lack of motivation. Money/good lifestyle can only motivate me so much...plus I was in NYC...I prefer going out on the weekends than studying.
, I come into work... and before I punch in... I'm already helping with the patients that are checking out their Rx. I plaster a nice big smile on my face and say "do you have any questions for the pharmacist?" "Alright, if you will please sign here." "Have a good day, hope you feel better." It feels like a McDonalds to me. However, there are times when I feel that all this is worth it especially when a patient comes up and starts asking for recommendations regarding medications. With my pharmacist nearby (earshot