Mayo 2020 Start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
It's a very small program so I'm not sure how many other people there might be on here, but is anyone else going to or thinking about going to Mayo?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I've been accepted to Mayo and I have confirmed my acceptance of the offer. However, I still have one interview left with another program. The other program is at the University of North Dakota. If I get accepted at UND, then I will have a tough decision to make. UND is significantly cheaper (like $40,000 cheaper) and very close to home, but Mayo has such an impressive program that is very well known and has an appealing 56 weeks of clinicals (20 weeks more than UND). Wish me luck in making the right decision! Just out of curiosity, do you think the price difference makes the decision a no-brainer? Or should I be less concerned about cost and go for the school with a higher reputation? I've heard that it doesn't really matter that much where you get your DPT degree and this is what makes me think I should choose the cheaper school.

I assume you have been accepted to Mayo and are planning on attending there? If so, congrats!! Who knows, we could potentially be classmates in the future!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!

I've been accepted to Mayo and I have confirmed my acceptance of the offer. However, I still have one interview left with another program. The other program is at the University of North Dakota. If I get accepted at UND, then I will have a tough decision to make. UND is significantly cheaper (like $40,000 cheaper) and very close to home, but Mayo has such an impressive program that is very well known and has an appealing 56 weeks of clinicals (20 weeks more than UND). Wish me luck in making the right decision! Just out of curiosity, do you think the price difference makes the decision a no-brainer? Or should I be less concerned about cost and go for the school with a higher reputation? I've heard that it doesn't really matter that much where you get your DPT degree and this is what makes me think I should choose the cheaper school.

I assume you have been accepted to Mayo and are planning on attending there? If so, congrats!! Who knows, we could potentially be classmates in the future!
Awesome! I think you know that 90% of people on here will tell you to choose based on cost. I never will. I'm an older student who has worked full time for many years in a field I hated for the money. Money isn't happiness, and debt isn't necessarily stressful. It's only stressful if you think it is. If it matters to you, that's cool, but remember that what you're paying for is an experience you can't go back and repeat or do over. If it's worth the cost to you, go for it and don't look back! You're the only one who has to accept and live with your choices. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I appreciate the input and enjoy just getting more perspectives on this. I agree that money isn't happiness, but I also don't want to look back and regret taking on so much debt. I have a little time yet to decide, but I will keep what you said in mind and remember that I am the one who ultimately has to be happy with my decision.

Also, I hope you are much happier now that you are going into physical therapy than you were in your previous field of work! I think PT will be a very fun and rewarding field! Is Mayo where you plan to go?

I think my choice is Mayo- I've already turned down some amazing options for them. I made good money in a very easy job, but yes, I'm worlds happier now.

Remember, regretting the past is a choice! It's not something that just happens that you can't control; looking at the past and wishing it had been different rather than appreciating your experiences is a choice, conscious or not. I know it doesn't feel like that, but it's true! I've decided not to regret Mayo even if it turns out to be really difficult for me. I'm looking at it as an adventure. :D

That's awesome! I completely agree with you about choosing to appreciate the experiences you have had rather than focusing on what you may have not experienced. Thanks for that great reminder and for offering your input! Best of luck to you at Mayo...who knows, we may possibly be classmates.

Take care!

• Love