Mayo Clinic (AZ) vs Mount Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tourformula

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
About me: Early 20's, definitely interested in surgical specialties (orthopedics/plastics)

Mayo Clinic - AZ (Full-Tuition Scholarship)

Pros
  • AZ resident, family lives here = more comfort
  • Established decent connections with doctors/faculty throughout undergrad
  • Admin seems very receptive/responsive/attentive to students' needs
  • Small class size (50) = Amazing support/resources/research available
  • They are building a brand new campus in Phoenix (will be done in 1.5 yrs)
  • From top to bottom, the admin is very professional and run well
  • P/F 1.5 yr preclinical, no AOA
  • Generous Finaid
  • MAYO name/prestige
  • Selectives blocks
Cons
  • Small class size + mandatory lectures = less flexibility (I learned to enjoy remote classes/self-study during covid)
  • Slightly isolated area in Scottsdale desert
  • Have to drive a lot compared to NYC (Drive b/w Phoenix and Scottsdale campuses)
  • Kinda want to explore somewhere new since I also spent my undergrad in AZ
  • Patient population less diverse ?

Mount Sinai - NYC (Full-Tuition Scholarship)

Pros
  • LOCATION is more exciting: once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to spend my early 20's learning/living in an amazing city
  • P/F preclinical, no AOA
  • Long-term girlfriend lives/works in NYC
  • Subsidized housing (~$600/mo)
  • VERY flexible school schedule: recorded lectures, take-home exams that you choose when to take (aligns with my learning style)
  • Very diverse patient population
  • Nice student facilities
  • Great research
  • Everywhere is walkable + subway
  • NYC residency programs are very strong in Ortho/hand-surgery

Cons
  • 2-yr preclinical
  • Admin does not seem as responsive/supportive as Mayo
  • More "hands-off" approach to finding mentorship/connections in your field
  • Larger class size = more competition for resources/research/opportunities
  • Lots of competition b/w other NY med schools for resources ?
  • New city = less familiarity = more distractions ?
  • Might be tougher to match at west-coast residency programs ?

Summary: Assuming the COA is going to be similar b/w the two, I would definitely be torn. I feel that both have everything I need to succeed. Mount Sinai's location is incredibly enticing + GF lives there, but at the moment I'm leaning towards Mayo since it feels like the "safe" option (more familiarity + connections + family). I'll be attending both of their second looks. Overall, I am incredibly grateful to even be in this position!! :D

What do you guys think? Can anyone add their thoughts on what each school offers + their perception of each school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Hmm. I don’t know which med school is right for you, but you seem unenthusiastic about living in the same city as your long term gf.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Hmm. I don’t know which med school is right for you, but you seem unenthusiastic about living in the same city as your long term gf.
lmaoo just trying to remain objective about the whole situation :,) We been doing LDR for a while, so kinda used to it

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo based on your pros/cons. However, I will say based on Sinai's learning/curriculum style, it would be pretty easy to have a strong connection/relationship with your GF if you went to NYC which could be really helpful. I think one of the things that stood out to me at Sinai was how much free time everyone had...the "flex" concepts are taken very seriously I guess.

It's also true that Sinai's reputation is more regional though (not that you would be massively hindered matching back to CA—clearly not based on their match list/history) but maybe a point to discuss with someone who knows more about this all. Are you 100% set on matching back to west coast? What about your GF?

Mayo based on your pros/cons. However, I will say based on Sinai's learning/curriculum style, it would be pretty easy to have a strong connection/relationship with your GF if you went to NYC which could be really helpful. I think one of the things that stood out to me at Sinai was how much free time everyone had...the "flex" concepts are taken very seriously I guess.

It's also true that Sinai's reputation is more regional though (not that you would be massively hindered matching back to CA—clearly not based on their match list/history) but maybe a point to discuss with someone who knows more about this all. Are you 100% set on matching back to west coast? What about your GF?
Thx for your thoughts! Ya, I definitely get the feeling that sinai is much more flexible in terms of their curriculum. On the other hand, they may not be as supportive or "hand-holdy" as Mayo?

At the moment, I feel like I would rather match in the west rather than in NYC. However, I do realize I am relatively ignorant about residency programs’ regional preferences or whatnot. GF is definitely open to move wherever I end up, but she recently got her job in NYC so shes gonna stay there for a bit!

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay more to go to Sinai, especially if it means moving away from family.
Just go the Finaid offer! COA will be almost identical for both schools. Makes the decision even tougher

Disclaimer: Currently deferred at Sinai, would be my first choice.

If costs were equal, I think Sinai and Mayo have their own advantages/disadvantages. Clinical training-wise, I doubt you can get anything better than Mayo (perennial T3 hospital in the nation). Also, Mayo is a nationally recognized name, while Sinai does tend to have a more regional basis. In your case, Mayo seems to also provide the comfort of familiarity and family. Sinai, on the other hand, offers more curricular flexibility, networking opportunities outside of medicine (virtually anything in New York), and the experience of living in a city like New York. Not to mention that you can be with your girlfriend in New York. IIRC, Sinai has the cheapest housing out of all the big NYC schools, which is a bonus. I doubt you will need to compete for anything with the other NYC schools, as Sinai has enough in-house resources for their students, and there are enough opportunities to go by in NYC. I would further argue that Sinai provides more resources for its students than the other NYC schools due to only having graduate students.

This is a tough decision, IMO, and I feel you will only get a better idea once you visit either institution.

Disclaimer: Currently deferred at Sinai, would be my first choice.

If costs were equal, I think Sinai and Mayo have their own advantages/disadvantages. Clinical training-wise, I doubt you can get anything better than Mayo (perennial T3 hospital in the nation). Also, Mayo is a nationally recognized name, while Sinai does tend to have a more regional basis. In your case, Mayo seems to also provide the comfort of familiarity and family. Sinai, on the other hand, offers more curricular flexibility, networking opportunities outside of medicine (virtually anything in New York), and the experience of living in a city like New York. Not to mention that you can be with your girlfriend in New York. IIRC, Sinai has the cheapest housing out of all the big NYC schools, which is a bonus. I doubt you will need to compete for anything with the other NYC schools, as Sinai has enough in-house resources for their students, and there are enough opportunities to go by in NYC. I would further argue that Sinai provides more resources for its students than the other NYC schools due to only having graduate students.

This is a tough decision, IMO, and I feel you will only get a better idea once you visit either institution.
Thank you so much for the breakdown! Any tips for what I should look out for/ask while visiting Sinai to learn the most that I can?

Last edited:
The NYC residencies are known for being a grind. I’m not particularly sure the extent that experience extends to rotations and clerkships for medical students there, so that is something to look into.

Thank you so much for the breakdown! Any tips for what I should look out for/ask while visiting Sinai to learn the most that I can?
In your position, I would try to talk to students about flexibility in the curriculum. When looking at schools, I really felt like Sinai was the type of school that gave the most leeway to explore outside of medicine. I would also try to ask students about matching to the west coast if that's a priority for you. In terms of location, I feel like just being in New York and Scottsdale will give you a sense of which environment you will fit in. I forgot to mention, but having strong connections at Mayo prior to enrolling is a huge bonus, as LORs are what make/break a lot of residency applications. Feels like you are established at Mayo, while Sinai would be new ground, which is both exciting and daunting.

In your position, I would try to talk to students about flexibility in the curriculum. When looking at schools, I really felt like Sinai was the type of school that gave the most leeway to explore outside of medicine. I would also try to ask students about matching to the west coast if that's a priority for you. In terms of location, I feel like just being in New York and Scottsdale will give you a sense of which environment you will fit in. I forgot to mention, but having strong connections at Mayo prior to enrolling is a huge bonus, as LORs are what make/break a lot of residency applications. Feels like you are established at Mayo, while Sinai would be new ground, which is both exciting and daunting.
Thanks again for the great advice!

The NYC residencies are known for being a grind. I’m not particularly sure the extent that experience extends to rotations and clerkships for medical students there, so that is something to look into.
Will do, thanks for the insight!