Mayo Interview!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xcgirl

Psych
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an interview at Mayo Clinic for 9/21! I was complete 9/6 or so.
Sooooo excited! Mayo is one of my top choices :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! I hear Mayo pays for your flight/accommodations, is that true?

congratulations, mayo is a superb school! best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!!! I am so jealous right now. Mayo is my number 1 choice as of right now. I just turned in my secondary this week. Did they notify you when your application was complete???

Is there some way to know how many of the ~500 secondary applications they've already sent out? Can I just call them?

Congrats! I hear Mayo pays for your flight/accommodations, is that true?

Sadly... no. or if they do, they haven't told me yet. the website says something about letting people know where they're staying, so maybe they do pay for hotel accomodations? I just scheduled it this morning though so it's too soon to tell.

The didn't give me a "you are complete" email, but the day after I sent in my secondary, I got an email from one of their admissions people asking how they would be receiving my LORs.

So happy! Now I've got to go find a cheap flight to minnesota!

When did you submit your secondary? I'm wondering how long it took b/t secondary submission and being 'complete' since I'm planning on submitting my secondary by the end of this weekend (got mine later than the first 'wave' since I submitted my AMCAS later).

Thanks! and congrats!! reading mayo's website almost makes me drool over how amazing it sounds.

When did you submit your secondary? I'm wondering how long it took b/t secondary submission and being 'complete' since I'm planning on submitting my secondary by the end of this weekend (got mine later than the first 'wave' since I submitted my AMCAS later).

Thanks! and congrats!! reading mayo's website almost makes me drool over how amazing it sounds.

I love their website too! I was just reading over the info about the research quarter and about how hard they try to get people scholarships and it's amazing.

I submitted my secondary on monday 9/3, and I got an email from them the next day regarding my rec letters (asking how they were to arrive). The interview invite email was sent at like 2:30am EST (I'm guessing it was an auto mailing) last night.

Has anyone else heard from mayo regarding interviews?

Hey,
I was complete around the same time as you. I'm still waiting. Congrats on the interview.

So, is there a way to find out how many of the 500 secondary slots have been filled? Sorry, I asked this earlier, and no one seemed to reply. So, i reposted.

I love their website too! I was just reading over the info about the research quarter and about how hard they try to get people scholarships and it's amazing.

I submitted my secondary on monday 9/3, and I got an email from them the next day regarding my rec letters (asking how they were to arrive). The interview invite email was sent at like 2:30am EST (I'm guessing it was an auto mailing) last night.

submitted monday too ... but alas no word :( ... congrats tho on ur interview! ... do u mind telling everyone ur stats? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all!

If you read the threads form last year you may know me (I was obsessed with Mayo). Luckily, I ended up here. SDN was very valuable to me during the application process, and I would like to return the favor. If you interview at Mayo and have ANY questions, want to get coffee, etc... do not hesitate to ask.

Good luck! :luck:

I submitted my essays on 8/29 and got the email asking about how my LORs would be coming on 9/6 but not interview invite yet:(

submitted monday too ... but alas no word :( ... congrats tho on ur interview! ... do u mind telling everyone ur stats? thanks!

MCAT: VR: 13, PS: 12, BS: 10, Q
GPA: 3.36, BCPM: 3.26
lots of service-related volunteer activities
two different research projects
international service trips to China and India
3 sport varsity athlete and captain as a junior
probably above average recs
hopefully good personal statement as well

PM me if you want more details

for the secondary, is it ok if one essay is significantly longer (paragraph 1 is 1/3 of a page while paragraph 2 is about 2/3 of page)

Just got a secondary from Mayo, and am REALLY suprised. (2.98 UGPA/4.0 PBGPA/3.9GGPA/36O MCAT) Does anyone know how many interviews they give out?

Just got a secondary from Mayo, and am REALLY suprised. (2.98 UGPA/4.0 PBGPA/3.9GGPA/36O MCAT) Does anyone know how many interviews they give out?

No, but Mayo is very, very picky with its applicants. They look beyond scores to seek people that would best fit their philosophies. I hear they love non-trads also. Seeing as how the class size is about 40, I would assume the interview pool is probably about 100.

Congrats on the secondary! I hope you get an interview.

According to the MSAR they interviewed 45 instate and 250 out of state for the 2006 entering class. I don't know if that was phone interviews or real interviews, though.

I am guessing that is probably on-campus interviews

MCAT: VR: 13, PS: 12, BS: 10, Q
GPA: 3.36, BCPM: 3.26
lots of service-related volunteer activities
two different research projects
international service trips to China and India
3 sport varsity athlete and captain as a junior
probably above average recs
hopefully good personal statement as well

PM me if you want more details

you look awesome
now, enough about you, on to me...my stats are 39Q (nice even distribution) with a 3.799 and no trips to foreign countries, no varsity sports, but otherwise very similar. Dang.

good luck to you, anyway :cool:

Does anyone know Mayo's policy on academic/ extracurricular updates to an individual's file??? I don't remember it being in any email I've received, and I couldn't find any info online.

Thanks
S

Does anyone know Mayo's policy on academic/ extracurricular updates to an individual's file??? I don't remember it being in any email I've received, and I couldn't find any info online.

Thanks
S

Just call them and find out. I talked to the admissions lady on the phone today and she's super nice. Also, they called my family at home to try and reach me and definitely made my mom's day.

I would be interested in knowing this as well.

I already replied to Chaz, but many of you asked about updates so I thought I would post. Mayo loves it when you show interest. Updates are welcome.

Oh, and the lady in the office is Jane. She is THE nicest admissions person ANYWHERE.

I just got a secondary from Mayo this morning. :) You all are saying that they only send out 500? How do you know that? Did you call them? That's great news! Congrats to those who have interviews and have received secondaries.

Ahh, I'm nervous / a little scared about submitting my secondary. I received it 2 weeks and a day ago, so I really should submit it soon. It's pretty much completely written, but I keep wondering if I should change it / re-write it. Although I think I'm fairly satisfied with it, I like Mayo so much that I feel like I need to be absolutely sure that this is the best I can do before I submit it. Plus, since they have less secondaries to read than most other med schools, I feel like they'll scrutinize each one more than other schools. If I could talk to Mayo, I think I would say "I really really like you. Please don't reject me. Please let me come visit you!"

to you guys who are getting secondaries now, when did u get ur primary verified/pay the $85 to mayo? just wondering if im out of the mix or not

Anyone else that turned in essays get an interview yet aside from xcgirl?

Mayo does not pay for interview accomodations. You can certainly stay with a current medical student to save some money though...Jane IS the nicest person around! if you have any questions feel free to ask, I am now a 4th year at Mayo. Good luck to all of you!

Just got the interview invite from Mayo... super excited :)!!! Does anyone know if we should expect information regarding lodging and transportation to our interview?

Just got the interview invite from Mayo... super excited :)!!! Does anyone know if we should expect information regarding lodging and transportation to our interview?

Congrats on the interview! They seem to be few and far between (not that I'm complaining...)
I got an email regarding lodging and transportation when I got an interview confirmation. I also got a call from Cindy in the admissions office asking if I wanted a student host, and she set me up with one of the class reps, who set me up with a host. They're actually picking me up at the airport! Everyone at Mayo seems super-nice and I'm so excited to be there next Friday!
Let me know if you have questions about the interview and flights, etc. I'm flying into minneapolis then to rochester via northwest.

toasty, when were you complete?

Good luck on your interview. I just received my secondary after what felt like a lifetime of nervous waiting. Let us know how the interview goes, but I'm sure you'll blow them away!

Good luck!

I sent my secondary yesterday and am waiting to hear back soon. Seems like they're pretty quick with that.

yeah they seem to get back to people really quickly, which is nice. congrads on getting the secondary! it's such an amazing school :)

did u get any verification that LOR or secondary were received

did u get any verification that LOR or secondary were received

I got an email asking how my letters were coming after I sent in my secondary/a verification that my secondary was received. No email after getting my LORs, but I think they would have emailed had there been a problem.

I was approved 9/11 for a secondary after an 8/17 MCAT score release. (Of course AMCAS took three extra days to release scores for my administration date... I was on pins and needles!) So it took them a good 3 weeks to review my application.

The women in the admissions office are incredibly sweet, by the way - and since Mayo's website is a little sparse on information, call them if you have any specific questions.

I submitted my secondary on 9/18. We'll see what happens. I wish their website had a status check - I would love to know if they've processed my LORs!

I really want to know: Is getting Mayo's secondary a reason to be happy? Do they really screen? What fraction get secondaries and how many of those get interviews?

I love the school and want to be as realistic as I can about my chances there... Any information/estimates would be appreciated!

I really want to know: Is getting Mayo's secondary a reason to be happy? Do they really screen? What fraction get secondaries and how many of those get interviews?

I love the school and want to be as realistic as I can about my chances there... Any information/estimates would be appreciated!

I think it is. What I've heard is that they've replaced the phone interview with the secondary and the same selection process takes place. So..congrats!

Mayo does screen before sending out secondaries and it has replaced the phone interview. Getting a secondary from Mayo IS great!

I JUST GOT HTE INTERVIEW!!! SO EXCITED

i got mayo, uci, and ucsd today! great day :)))

what number are u guys calling to talk to the admissions office?

kuhl, do you mind sharing when you were complete?