Mayo phoenix vs emory vs case western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aberjo

Reaction score
I have a dilemma: I have an acceptance to emory, however I also interviewed at mayo clinic for the Phoenix program and at Case Western.
Because Mayo clinic loves letter of intents, I was wondering should I send one to them? I want to get involved in neuro research, possibly apply to neurosurgery residency (idk tho) and I was wondering which one is better mayo (keep in mind this is the Phoenix program) or emory? If emory is better, then I won't send a letter of intent.
@Goro @Mr.Smile12
Thank you so much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

This could better go in the X versus Y subforum, but in general, you need to play honorably. Intent is different from interest, so you need to assess if Mayo is your number 1 regardless.

I don't get involved in the residency game to know whether Mayo is significantly better than Emory in neuro/surgery. I defer to the board certified among us for that one. :)

Edit: Go read Med Ed's post, I'm a dumb M2

Edit2: just trying not to spread misinformation pablo haha

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, prestige-wise, Emory is great but it ain't Mayo. Not sure about case western. Hey, I didn't get interviews at any of those schools, congrats.

But if an attending corrects me please believe them
Right, that's what I thought, but I've asked many physicians and they said that cuz it's Phoenix it isn't the same as Rochester. And the prestige at the same level apparently which makes it hard for me to decide haha

Right, that's what I thought, but I've asked many physicians and they said that cuz it's Phoenix it isn't the same as Rochester. And the prestige at the same level apparently which makes it hard for me to decide haha
Edit: Go read Med Ed's post, I'm a dumb M2

Last edited:
I have a dilemma: I have an acceptance to emory, however I also interviewed at mayo clinic for the Phoenix program and at Case Western.
Because Mayo clinic loves letter of intents, I was wondering should I send one to them? I want to get involved in neuro research, possibly apply to neurosurgery residency (idk tho) and I was wondering which one is better mayo (keep in mind this is the Phoenix program) or emory? If emory is better, then I won't send a letter of intent.
@Goro @Mr.Smile12
Thank you so much!!!
Suggest inquiring in the school-specific forums.

the answer here is Emory (and it's not even close).
Whoa there! Nobody giving Case any love? It's the best school that your grandma has never heard of. Very well regarded, and if it matters, well ranked. And its match lists have been superb as well.

Emory is superb as well, and arguably Atlanta might be nicer than Cleveland, but I didn't say that. Can Atlanta claim Rock Hall?

Just saying that Emory isn't a slam dunk over Case. Phoenix = too hot & getting hotter.

Reactions: 2 users
OP mentioned having an interview at Case, but the question was specifically if Emory would be a better choice than Mayo Arizona.
Yes @angle. I already visited both campuses 4 years ago because I got accepted to both for my undergrad. I don't see myself living in Cleveland, even though it's a great school. Also, during my interviews I really connected with the director of admissions of emory and I liked the vibe a little bit more at emory

Reactions: 1 user
If this were Mayo Rochester you'd have a decision to make, but the answer here is Emory (and it's not even close).
Is there a difference in prestige? I only applied to Mayo in Florida and AZ to avoid the cold and I was told it’s basically considered the same since it’s a national medical school.

Is there a difference in prestige? I only applied to Mayo in Florida and AZ to avoid the cold and I was told it’s basically considered the same since it’s a national medical school.
Branch campuses never have the same level of prestige as the flagship. It may not be fair, but they're called Light Mayo for a reason.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Branch campuses never have the same level of prestige as the flagship. It may not be fair, but they're called Light Mayo for a reason.
They should rename Arizona to Sriracha and Florida to Ranch then.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
If candidate was from Arizona and wanted to practice in Arizona, would level of prestige matter for residency? Let's say two MD seniors apply for residency in Arizona -- one from Mayo-Rochester and the other from Mayo-Phoenix. All else (grades, step scores, etc.) being equal, would the Rochester candidate get the edge because of prestige?

If candidate was from Arizona and wanted to practice in Arizona, would level of prestige matter for residency? Let's say two MD seniors apply for residency in Arizona -- one from Mayo-Rochester and the other from Mayo-Phoenix. All else (grades, step scores, etc.) being equal, would the Rochester candidate get the edge because of prestige?
What's your real question?

What's your real question?
I wasn't trying to be obtuse or cryptic. OK, let me try again. I have a premed family member who thinks they want to do orthopedic surgery or neurosurgery, two very competitive specialties. They live in Arizona and would prefer to stay in Arizona for med school due to family support, but they are open to moving out of state for med school if needed. In this scenario, and assuming they have the stats to make either school a "target" school, is it is it smarter for them to apply to Mayo-Rochester or Mayo-Phoenix? Please don't shoot the questioner, it's an honest question.

Apply to both. Definitely more research opportunities at Mayo - Rochester.

Apply to both. Definitely more research opportunities at Mayo - Rochester.
Just an FYI for others here, at least this year, this was not an option. They have a single secondary in which you provide a rank list of campuses, essentially meaning you can only apply to one. Hope this helps.

I wasn't trying to be obtuse or cryptic. OK, let me try again. I have a premed family member who thinks they want to do orthopedic surgery or neurosurgery, two very competitive specialties. They live in Arizona and would prefer to stay in Arizona for med school due to family support, but they are open to moving out of state for med school if needed. In this scenario, and assuming they have the stats to make either school a "target" school, is it is it smarter for them to apply to Mayo-Rochester or Mayo-Phoenix? Please don't shoot the questioner, it's an honest question.
As noted above, you apply to one unified Mayo and then select/rank their four available tracks. One track is all Minnesota, one is all Arizona, one is split between the two, and one involves Florida.

Ultimately this will boil down to the priorities of your premed family member. Some people will maximize opportunity no matter what, so they'll sell the whole farm and move anywhere to secure an extra iota of prestige. Others feel they'll be happier (and therefore more successful) in a more familiar and supportive environment.

These decisions can be very challenging, and there always temptation to take cognitive shortcut and reduce them down to one factor. I would try to resist that urge.