Mayo Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJ4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's all your opinions on Mayo Medical School?? I am most interested in research but WashU kinda turned the tables on me. So I was just curious what you all thought. Because at some places I visited people always talked about how small the school was in a negative light -- in that they didn't have a critical mass. But when I visited I was quite impressed with its facilities and faculty. Rochester is also not THAT bad. The area around the clinic is pretty cool. Also do any of you know how good the match is for Mayo grads?? Do they get good spots in the better academic medicine residencies?? And what do you all think about the breadth of their training?? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was also quite impressed on my visit to Mayo. I would be very happy to attend there. As for Rochester--yeah, its not New York City, but its actually bigger than my hometown or my college town (combined!), so to me its kinda big! Overall, though, both of my siblings have lived in Rochester, MN and both loved it, and I think I would too. Of course, I am not too high maintenance--I mainly need a Best Buy, Old Navy, Target, and Panera Bread Co. to survive, and Rochester has all four!

As for the school, I think its not considered in the top ten med schools because of its size. They rank schools as far as research, and though per student Mayo has a ton of research, overall their NIH funding is much less than the giants like Hopkins, which lowers their ranking. As far as residencies, I was told they have THE highest board scores every year, so I would think they would be placed pretty well! I know a number of them get Mayo residency spots, which are tough to get. How they fair at other institutions, I don't know. I was surprised to see their residency placement score was lower than other, lower ranked schools, like Case. Overall, though, its how you feel about it. I loved the school (if I haven't said it before!), and would be happy to go there. Mayo, do you hear me?

When did you folks interview there and how'd it go?

I'm going next week. Any suggestions on what I should see, people I should meet, things I should do while in Rochester?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well as far as stuff to do in Rochester -- most of everything is connected via skyway. Outside from shopping at the connected galleria mall I would definitely go on the public tours of the Clinic and St. Mary's Hospital.

Furthermore -- I ask yet again -- what do you all think of Mayo as a medical school?? Are there any Mayo students on this forum?? Please help thanks!

Well as far as stuff to do in Rochester -- most of everything is connected via skyway. Outside from shopping at the connected galleria mall I would definitely go on the public tours of the Clinic and St. Mary's Hospital.

Furthermore -- I ask yet again -- what do you all think of Mayo as a medical school?? Are there any Mayo students on this forum?? Please help thanks!

As for Rochester -- I would definitely go on the public tours of the Clinic and St.Mary's Hospital. The Clinic, med school, and OB-GYN hospital and a mall are all connected via skyway so don't worry about bringing a jacket.

Also, I would appreciate if anyone would give me any feedback on how they thought Mayo fairs as a medical school. Any Mayo people on this forum?? Please help thanks!

Christiangirl - I sent you a private message.