Mayo or MSKCC elective for an IMG aiming for Internal Medicine residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imfan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm an IMG and I'm now applying for electives for 2017.
I only have limited time in the States to do my electives, and since I got into other places, I now have one month left to spare. I'm deciding between Mayo Clinic and Memorial Sloan to apply for.

I aim to get into Internal Medicine residency in the future. Taking this into consideration, which of the two will give me more of an edge? Like, LOR-wise etc.

For Mayo Clinic and Memorial Sloan, which months are less competitive? Is April better than May? I'd very much like to apply for those months to increase my chances of getting in.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm an IMG and I'm now applying for electives for 2017.
I only have limited time in the States to do my electives, and since I got into other places, I now have one month left to spare. I'm deciding between Mayo Clinic and Memorial Sloan to apply for.

I aim to get into Internal Medicine residency in the future. Taking this into consideration, which of the two will give me more of an edge? Like, LOR-wise etc.

For Mayo Clinic and Memorial Sloan, which months are less competitive? Is April better than May? I'd very much like to apply for those months to increase my chances of getting in.

Thanks!
I'd choose another location. Rotate at a place that takes IMGs in their IM residency that you'd like to go.

Reactions: 1 users
I rotated at both. If you are aiming at a categorical IM program, you should know Sloan doesn't have one. But since both are competitive, I would apply to both and decide when accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I rotated at both. If you are aiming at a categorical IM program, you should know Sloan doesn't have one. But since both are competitive, I would apply to both and decide when accepted.

Thank you for the advice!

My first elective in the States starts the end of Feb next year. But I won't get the results from Mayo for April's elective till Mid-Feb. Memorial Sloan should be faster. This makes it easier for me to find a place to live for that elective (if I get in eventually).

If I successfully get Memorial Sloan's acceptance, I'm not sure if I should accept it instantly or wait for Mayo's results. That's why I want to know which one is a better choice for me. And that, is it worth it to wait for Mayo's response. I really like how Mayo is run and their emphasis on empathy. Sloan, on the other hand, is extremely prestigious.

And that makes it hard for me to choose.

You mentioned you rotated at both. What is your opinion? :)

I'd choose another location. Rotate at a place that takes IMGs in their IM residency that you'd like to go.

I want to go to the top-tier institutions, try to get decent LORs, and use those LORs to apply for many other hospitals. My thinking is that a letter from a big-name hospital can help with my application. Because that letter can be useful in many hospitals. If I go to an IMG-friendly hospital, I'm basically putting my bet on that one and that one only.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm fairly new in the game so still have a lot to learn.
Thank you! :)

If I remember correctly, you can decline one even after you agreed, but it should be some time ahead of the starting time. You'd better check with Mayo or Sloan if it's true.

Thank you for the advice!

My first elective in the States starts the end of Feb next year. But I won't get the results from Mayo for April's elective till Mid-Feb. Memorial Sloan should be faster. This makes it easier for me to find a place to live for that elective (if I get in eventually).

If I successfully get Memorial Sloan's acceptance, I'm not sure if I should accept it instantly or wait for Mayo's results. That's why I want to know which one is a better choice for me. And that, is it worth it to wait for Mayo's response. I really like how Mayo is run and their emphasis on empathy. Sloan, on the other hand, is extremely prestigious.

And that makes it hard for me to choose.

You mentioned you rotated at both. What is your opinion? :)

Reactions: 1 user