mayo rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

it.

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
[ouch=rejection] got my first rejection--mayo! it's too bad, cuz it seemed like a really cool school. cheap tuition too. oh well, **** happens. :( . [/ouch]

movin on... :D

Members don't see this ad.

it. said:
[ouch=rejection] got my first rejection--mayo! it's too bad, cuz it seemed like a really cool school. cheap tuition too. oh well, **** happens. :( . [/ouch]

That's too bad. I'm still waiting for word from Mayo, but considering how few people actually make it to the phone secondary, I am expecting my rejection any day now. (it never hurts to try, though, right?) Did they email it to you? I have been afraid to check my email for fear of having my little bit of hope dashed. Anyway, don't let it get you down, and good luck with the rest of your application process! :)

SuzieQ3417 said:
That's too bad. I'm still waiting for word from Mayo, but considering how few people actually make it to the phone secondary, I am expecting my rejection any day now. (it never hurts to try, though, right?) Did they email it to you? I have been afraid to check my email for fear of having my little bit of hope dashed. Anyway, don't let it get you down, and good luck with the rest of your application process! :)

got the rjection via snail mail. and i got over it in a matter of seconds, so i'm cool now :) i'm just hoping that whatever faults mayo saw get glossed over by other schools, seeing as how mayo has a pretty small class size

Members don't see this ad :)
SuzieQ3417 said:

If you look at their site, a quarter of the people that apply get phone interviews..... its weird though becuase the site said:
2300: submit applications
1300: complete applications
something like 300 to 400 get phone interviews
and then 200 something get personal interviews

Mayo's all about the all around package...3.8 GPA and 32 MCAT...

it. said:
got the rjection via snail mail. and i got over it in a matter of seconds, so i'm cool now :) i'm just hoping that whatever faults mayo saw get glossed over by other schools, seeing as how mayo has a pretty small class size

With a 3.9 median GPA I think it's pretty clear they're GPA ******. I didn't even bother applying as they clearly have no appreciation for the beauty that is MCAT. :laugh:

owenmichael said:
If you look at their site, a quarter of the people that apply get phone interviews..... its weird though becuase the site said:
2300: submit applications
1300: complete applications
something like 300 to 400 get phone interviews
and then 200 something get personal interviews

Mayo's all about the all around package...3.8 GPA and 32 MCAT...

I don't understand how out of 2300 submitted applicatons, only 1300 complete them. The only application is the AMCAS, and then you have to pay a fee. Do they mean that out of 2300 nearly half just decide not to send their fee?

SuzieQ3417 said:
I don't understand how out of 2300 submitted applicatons, only 1300 complete them. The only application is the AMCAS, and then you have to pay a fee. Do they mean that out of 2300 nearly half just decide not to send their fee?

I didn't understand that either. Sorry, the exact wordage on their site is:
Applications recieved: 2,375
Applications processed: 1,359
Telephone interview: 331
Personal interview: 224

heres the link: http://www.mayo.edu/mms/profiles.html

So, maybe that means only 1300 payed the fee, seems unlikely to me?
God I hope I get in there, good luck:)

owenmichael said:

Could also be numerical cutoffs.

owenmichael said:
Yeah, I don't understand why you wouldn't submit the fee. It was not as pricey as some of the other schools, and it is not like you have to fill out essays or something. Easy...just sign the check.

And I second the feeling...I would do ALMOST anything to get into that school (but you've gotta draw the line somewhere, right?) :D

Bleah...they are my number one choice. Rejection letters are not good. : (

I received an email from Mayo a month ago that they received my check, but then nothing more. Do you think that means I've been rejected?

it. said:

Hi It,

Sorry to hear about the news from Mayo, glad you got over it quickly. I was just wondering what your number would be based on the formula that was mentioned in the other Mayo thread. 10X GPA + MCAT

Kudos said:
I received an email from Mayo a month ago that they received my check, but then nothing more. Do you think that means I've been rejected?

I am in the same boat. After reading this thread on Friday, I skipped checking the mailbox on Saturday....no news is good news...right? But my curiosity got the better of me and I checked the mailbox on Sunday night...my neighbors probably think I am a complete tool.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok so the deal is that mayo does a numerical cut off for the phone interview for MOST of the applicants- your MCAT and gpa x10 must add up to a number (i think it's usually in the low 60s) if you don't make it there's still hope IF you are from Arizona, Florida or Minnesota where you automatically get the phone interview
so it's all numbers and where you live to start off

You automatically get a phone interview from those states? Why?

it. said:

I had two friends who had phone interviews last year, with Mayo. Of all the interviews they had, those were the only one that resulted in rejection. Their other interviews turned into either hold, alternate/waitlist, or acceptance. Or also waitlist turned into an acceptance later on.

Mayo is probably one of the biggest crap shoot schools, not because of its place in the rankings and what not, but because they only less then half the total number of students that sit at the majority of the rest of the med schools.

Guju- any idea about the automatic florida interview thing? You seem to know everything....

unfrozencaveman said:
Guju- any idea about the automatic florida interview thing? You seem to know everything....

In regards to Mayo??? I don't know. But I know that my friends that had their phone interviews, had a 33 and 34 on their MCAT and both had ridiculously high GPAs. But one of them was a postbac, so only her postbac gpa was 4.0, whereas her old gpa was quite low.

sequencer said:
ok so the deal is that mayo does a numerical cut off for the phone interview for MOST of the applicants- your MCAT and gpa x10 must add up to a number (i think it's usually in the low 60s)
This is clearly not true. I haven't heard from them and my number in that formula would be 70. Anyway, that formula weights the MCAT much higher than GPA so I don't think it's realistic (3.5/30 should not equal 2.9/36).

jrdnbenjamin said:
This is clearly not true. I haven't heard from them and my number in that formula would be 70. Anyway, that formula weights the MCAT much higher than GPA so I don't think it's realistic (3.5/30 should not equal 2.9/36).

I'm thinking the same thing. This formula is probably not true.

WiggyUD said:
Hi It,

Sorry to hear about the news from Mayo, glad you got over it quickly. I was just wondering what your number would be based on the formula that was mentioned in the other Mayo thread. 10X GPA + MCAT

using my cum gpa: 70.2
using my sci gpa: 69.5

i'm not sure aboutmayo strictly using numbers cutoffs though

sequencer said:
ok so the deal is that mayo does a numerical cut off for the phone interview for MOST of the applicants- your MCAT and gpa x10 must add up to a number (i think it's usually in the low 60s) if you don't make it there's still hope IF you are from Arizona, Florida or Minnesota where you automatically get the phone interview
so it's all numbers and where you live to start off

how do they decide which applicants to use number cutoffs for?

...i guess my ec's really stood out to them...in a bad way apparently

gujuDoc said:
I'm thinking the same thing. This formula is probably not true.

I'm pretty sure this formula is a factor, there is another thread about the phone interview that a current M1 and M2 at Mayo are posting on. They said that Mayo does use a numerical formula in evaluating pre-phone secondary. I can't find that thread right now or I would post the link.

Have you guys read the profiles of students from their schools?

"Ben is somewhat amazed to find himself at Mayo Clinic. He grew up on the family corn and soybean farm and began his undergraduate degree pursuing agriculture at a community college....Now, the only corn and soybean fields he sees are those surrounding the city where he is studying medicine."

:laugh:

anyone else find this funny? or is it just me?

ETA: "Ben seems a little envious of some of his classmates who are expert salsa dancers. 'I look forward to events like the annual medical school student gala evening,' says Ben. 'But my dancing is usually only done in dance clubs where I keep my fingers crossed that the other patrons won't remember my performance the next morning.'"

ROFLMAO

I personally like Lindsay:

"Lindsay epitomizes the selection committee's success. As bubbly as a shaken soda, she seems to have an interest for every bubble in the can. She writes poetry, designs evening fashions for men and women, admires architecture and loves fooling around with car engines -- she misses her 1970 Mustang that has "a 351 engine that I'm really proud of."

Lindsay's favorite sport is shopping, and also maintains her aerobic fitness playing tennis, riding horses and going salsa dancing.

From her first days in medical school, Lindsay feels she made the right decision to come to Mayo.

"My faith in God guides what I do and I knew He meant for me to come here," says Lindsay"

TheMightyAngus said:
As bubbly as a shaken soda, she seems to have an interest for every bubble in the can

um. huh?

:laugh:

I have a 4.0 gpa and a 38 mcat and I just got my rejection letter from Mayo. It hurts.

JustBreathe said:
I have a 4.0 gpa and a 38 mcat and I just got my rejection letter from Mayo. It hurts.

Do you have an mdapplicants profile?

JustBreathe said:

:( I'm sorry. It just goes to show that with such a small class they have to turn away highly qualified people.

That stinks.

TheMightyAngus said:
I personally like Lindsay:

"Lindsay epitomizes the selection committee's success. As bubbly as a shaken soda, she seems to have an interest for every bubble in the can. She writes poetry, designs evening fashions for men and women, admires architecture and loves fooling around with car engines -- she misses her 1970 Mustang that has "a 351 engine that I'm really proud of."

Lindsay's favorite sport is shopping, and also maintains her aerobic fitness playing tennis, riding horses and going salsa dancing.

From her first days in medical school, Lindsay feels she made the right decision to come to Mayo.

"My faith in God guides what I do and I knew He meant for me to come here," says Lindsay"

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAH.....OH MAN that is HILARIOUS :laugh:

that girl seems like a psycho!

morgan said:
:( I'm sorry. It just goes to show that with such a small class they have to turn away highly qualified people.

That stinks.

Yeah, I understand that, but I can't help but feel that I at least deserved a phone interview. Oh well, I guess I have to try to move on. It sucks when your first rejection is one of your top choices.

unfrozencaveman said:

Mayo is based in Rochester, MN, but has two major branches. One in Jacksonville, FL and one in Scottsdale, AZ. I'm sure the gov'ts of all three states give mayo mad tax benefits as with any private medical institution, so they have to give the state residents a little better treatment, which you'll find is the same as other private schools.

Also, I have worked at the Mayo Clinic for a summer internship. It is common knowledge among everyone there that Mayo looks for students that are "a little different", or as my mentor bluntly put it, "eccentric with some kind of life experience like living in as a missionary in a hut in the congo for past twenty years". Don't feel bad if you get rejected by Mayo, they just operate a little differently than other schools.

So I guess this confirms that the 10xGPA+MCAT>low60s is bunk? I'm eagerly anticipating my rejection letter today since they confirmed my check long, long ago and I've heard nothing. I'm going to keep telling myself that I was just way, way too normal for Mayo. And that it's cold up there. Brrr.

unfrozencaveman said:
You automatically get a phone interview from those states? Why?

Mayo considers person in Arizona, Florida, and MN "in-state".

Yes, I know Mayo is a private school. They have facitities in these states, so they show a slight preference for students in those states. That may be the reason for the automatic phone interview for folks form those states.

All of the 40 or so students who get accepted into each class get an awesome aid package, but students from MN, FL and AZ get a bit more aid money.

DeadorAlive said:
So I guess this confirms that the 10xGPA+MCAT>low60s is bunk? I'm eagerly anticipating my rejection letter today since they confirmed my check long, long ago and I've heard nothing. I'm going to keep telling myself that I was just way, way too normal for Mayo. And that it's cold up there. Brrr.

hmmm- i think i would trust what i said about the cut off because I GO TO MAYO
also- for those who are confused there are mayos in fl, az and mn so that's why they get automatic phone interviews

sorry, I have to disagree. I am a reapplicant and did not get ANY correspondence from Mayo last year between sending my check and receiving the rejection letter. No phone interview for me! I'm hoping for better luck this year.

hildaluc said:
sorry, I have to disagree. I am a reapplicant and did not get ANY correspondence from Mayo last year between sending my check and receiving the rejection letter. No phone interview for me! I'm hoping for better luck this year.

there must have been some strange circumstance- you should call the school and ask why you didn't get one-
unless your residency didn't meet the requirements you should have gotten an interview

Sequencer I wasn't trying to question whether you had it right as a current Mayo student, but the fact that some with 70+s by that formula did not get phone interviews would imply that low 60s/pure numbers is not universally true. It might be the general rule (do they overtly state this to students?) but there are at least a few exceptions.

bdubz said:
Also, I have worked at the Mayo Clinic for a summer internship. It is common knowledge among everyone there that Mayo looks for students that are "a little different", or as my mentor bluntly put it, "eccentric with some kind of life experience like living in as a missionary in a hut in the congo for past twenty years". Don't feel bad if you get rejected by Mayo, they just operate a little differently than other schools.

hmm, i've led a different life than most...i guess i should've concentrated on that in the ps...

i have my phone interview with mayo in about an hour...i was totally, absolutely surprised...I have an excellent gpa (3.95) but my mcat was a 29?! So it shows that it really is (as a friend of mine said) as if they post names on a wall and throw darts.

also, i have no expectation that i will get any further than this interview...which i guess takes the pressure off..

lexy10 said:
i have my phone interview with mayo in about an hour...i was totally, absolutely surprised...I have an excellent gpa (3.95) but my mcat was a 29?! So it shows that it really is (as a friend of mine said) as if they post names on a wall and throw darts.

also, i have no expectation that i will get any further than this interview...which i guess takes the pressure off..

well, good luck to you. i guess u've got that "it." factor..hehe..mayo is lookin for. good job :thumbup:

lexy10 said:

Congratulations on the phone interview. I am hoping that I can get that far.

lexy, when was your fee sent/acknowledged?

WiggyUD said:

sent july 14
acknowledged july 21
invited for phonw interview aug 11

WiggyUD said:

sent july 14
acknowledged july 21
invited for phone interview aug 11

approx how long does it take to get your check acknowledge after it is sent in?

it took a week for me

same here; I had my phone interview today and have similar stats; I'm from MN so hopefully that isn't the only reason they gave me the interview. I'll find out in 3 weeks, or so I was told.