Mayo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

efex

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you where accepted to Mayo could you please give some information in regards to the school, application process, friendliness, etc. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Mayo is a great place. Obviously, the hospitals are world-class, and I got every indication that the docs and other staff are extremely receptive to students. I was told that you could call up almost any doc and you could set up times to come shadow them whenever you wanted to. Also, after I had been accepted, they offered to set up a one-on-one consultation with any doc I wanted, so that I could ask about Mayo's opportunities in specific fields of medicine and research. I did not encounter this type of attention to students at any other school. Most of that has to do with the fact that the school is SO tiny. This was the big drawback for me. I thought it would be fine until I interviewed and decided that there just weren't enough young people in town for me to handle living there for so long. This was compounded by the fact that outside of the six-block area surrounding the clinic, there is NOTHING in Rochester except outdoor recreation area (useless during the long winters) and the Twin Cities, which I love, are an hour and a half away. Overall, it just was not the right fit for me, but it was definitely tough to turn down. They are so supportive and go out of their way to inform you about the school and the hospitals. I was sent several packages during the last few months with info, including a book about the original Mayo docs and the founding of the Clinic. I think the program itself is excellent. The students are top-notch and they treat you like part of the Mayo team. The clinical exposure starts early and there is no better place to do it. If you can handle living in Rochester for a few years with mostly older professionals, there really aren't any other drawbacks. The scholarships are great. Just go into it with an open mind and see what happens.

Christiangirl I have been accepted to do a research fellowship at the Mayo clinic and I am very excited. Everything that I have read and heard about the school interests me. I am married with children so the lack of night life and other activities does not bother me too much. Can you tell me a little bit more about yourself and the phone interview if you have time. What is it that Mayo looks for in an applicant (if you know this)? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a wee bit more on their admissions process. Mayo had been my first choice, until they rejected me :( . I called them up and did a post-portem on my application.

Christiangirl essentially has the process correct, but she skipped a step: after you mail in your $60, they screen your application and decide whether they want to see your rec letters. After you send them in, they let you know whether you get a phone interview. According to the woman I talked to in the admissions office, that initial screening has two phases. First, they look at your numbers. She told me that they "generally like to see at least a 34 on the MCATs," although it could be lower if you're from MN, AZ, or FL. If your application has other "special features" (she didn't elaborate), you might get by with <34 as well. Can't remember what the GPA cut-off was. If you pass the numerical screening, your app is passed on to their "reader." One person reads every single application, and if he doesn't like your statement, it's all over. This is where I got rejected.

When I learned how the application process worked, I knew that it would have been really hard for me to get an interview there. Unlike every other school I applied to, Mayo does not ask for supplementary essays, and will not allow you to send them in. If you have a complicated background, as I do, it's really hard to present yourself effectively in the very limited confines of the AMCAS personal statement -- although you guys may have it better this year with those extra essays AMCAS is requiring... :p

I had used my personal statement to describe the circumstances that led to my giving up an established career in order to become a doctor. I alluded to my research, clinical, and community service experience, but didn't go into detail. For other schools, I described these extensively in additional essays. With Mayo, however, my personal statement had to stand on its own. It didn't. The reader commented that I appeared to have very limited experience in these areas. That's not true, but I can see how he could get that impression with only my AMCAS essay to go by.

Despite the rejection, I still think of them fondly, probably because the woman at the admissions office was wonderfully friendly and sympathetic, and was willing to help me understand how my application had been perceived.

That's about all the insight I can give you. I hope you have better luck than I did, because it seems like a fine school. Have a wonderful time there!

whoops...posted twice.

I agree with the above poster that the application process there tends to be unfavorable towards non-trads and anyone else with unusual or different circumstances.
First you pay the AMCAS fee, then you get the letter from them asking for an additional $60 before they'll even look at your application. This letter specifically states that any supplementary materials sent at this time will NOT be accepted. In my case, I had a bad semester to account for, which I explained to other schools in a letter sent with my secondary. Mayo never even gave me a chance.
Two days later, they sent me a "Dear Applicant" rejection letter...geez, for my 60 bucks, couldn't they have at least pasted my name in??! I wish they would pre-screen the AMCAS applications to at least weed out the unsatisfactory GPAs/MCATs before they charge us the money!
Oh well, with an entering class size of 42, I knew my chances were very slim regardless. Maybe I'll have better luck trying for a residency there. Congrats to those fortunate few who got in!

Christiangirl--can I email you? I would like to ask you several questions.

Sure dragonfly!! Send me a personal message or your email address!! Love to hear from ya!! :)

Last Friday, I got a call that pulled me off the Mayo waitlist giving me the [standard?] half tuition scholarship, so that tuition is little more than 10K a year. Incredible that they can pare tuition down cheaper than my state school.

I'd been holding Yale for a lot of reasons (turned down Hopkins for it), namely the noncompetitive atmosphere, being part of a larger contiguous university, and having a relatively awesome time at the second look. It seemed students lived with a solid quality of life, and integrated outside interests into school.

When I visited Mayo, I was struck by the immensity of resources available at the students' fingertips. They seem to be treated collegially and cherished by the faculty. I have been a little leery though of such a small class size in such an isolated place. Being from the Midwest till recently, I've been looking to stay around the East coast for school. New Haven is grungy, but is a little more diverse and threaded into the rest of the East Coast. Though the money that Mayo waves at you is unmatched, and the patient volume at the place dwarfs almost any other medical center.

I'm really happy to have had these choices, but it's still difficult sorting through those factors that will amount to where I'd be most content, day to day. On that measure, I lean toward Yale, but many say that that would be wrong decision.

Oceandust, I am in exactly the same boat. I'm holding Yale and was recently offered a seat off the waitlist at Mayo. Mayo was my first choice throughout this process, but I, too, pause thinking of the opportunity to attend Yale with its collaborative, non-competitive learning environment. Christiangirl--do you know how competitive Mayo is? The two individual I know from there are definitely not what I would describe as "cut-throat", but I wonder if they might be exception rather than the norm. Any insight you can provide is most appreciated.

Christiangirl (or anyone going to/at Mayo),
I am a non traditional student (31, wife and baby) and am applying for the class entering 2002. Mayo is my first choice by far. Any advice for getting in? I did very well on the MCAT(37), but because of problems I had my junior year, when I was 21, my overall GPA is only a 3.4. Since I returned to school I have a 3.9 and my science GPA is just under a 4.0. This is for a significant number of credits because I basically started over as a physiology major when I did come back. I am hoping my MCAT will get me interviews, which will give me an opportunity to explain my problems.
My main stength outside of academics is in clinical work; I have worked full time on the graveyard shift in a nursing home for over a year now and previously worked for a year in a physical therapy clinic for 10 months. My weaknesses are a lack of research (eight weeks in a blood lab, during which I did lot learn that much) and volunteer work. Any tips?

Thanks, Christiangirl. Yes, My overall GPA is a 3.4. I was not able to take full advantage of my research opportunity because in addition to school and work (fulltime), my son was born the day before I started in the lab, and he spent a lot of time in the NICU (he is fine now). I just was not able to give the project the time needed. If I have any more Mayo specific questions, I will post them here.

Christiangirl are you in Rochester now? maybe if you like we could meet? I am at Evanston Heights, SURF living area...

Christiangirl,
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help. The first day we can send in our app this year is next Monday, and I am fine tuning mine.
Have you found a place out there yet. I hear that it is a really friendly city. When you have a family, your priorities change a little, and the location of the school is almost as important as the quality. Luckily there are a lot of great schools in nice cities.
Mayo is perfect for me. Great school, excellent primary care program, friendly city (by reputation), and I live in Arizona, so I would pay in state tuition (cheaper than the University of Arizona).
Thanks again; I will keep in touch.

ewells