MB DO - Old topic, new idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexmark

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have been suggestions before on altering the DO degree to something else. That will ever happen. Any views on awarding a dual degree, such as MB DO, (Bachelor of Medicine)? Would it not better reflect the true scope of practice of DO graduates? It seems crazy that DO's don't even have full practice rights in the 2 countries that border us. Mexico won't even consider DO's and Canada is accepts them only in some provinces.

As the world becomes a smaller place, more people travel and want to work abroad. But DO's are very limited in terms of international recognition. Most other countries don't see the difference between an osteopath and an osteopathic physician. Would MB DO be a solution?

Members don't see this ad.

I never understood students with obsessions about going abroad. There are plenty of underserved populations/different cultures/ different environments right here in the US. The fact is that a US training will best prepare you to practice in the US. Medicine is practiced very differently in most other countries, particularly ones that use socialized medicine or ones that aren't as litigious (eg all countries). I know that a US MD degree is well respected in other countries, but if you know that you want to be a physician in Mexico, then your training will probably be superior in Mexico.

My point is not about underserved populations, different cultures, or different environments. It's about recognition and freedom of movement. The AOA want's the rest of the world to come around to their way of thinking; they are not prepared to recognize that the rest of the world, ie. the majority, sees osteopathy and osteopathic medicine as one and the same.

What if a foreign student or physician meets a US DO and they marry? They may then find that the DO can't work in the foreigners country. But a US MD could. Should DO's not have the same rights and privilages as MD's? Without such equality how can the two groups be considered legally equivalent? And why should the US extend recognition of foreign medical degrees to countries that fail to recognize our medical degrees?

Kalel, I am somewhat surprised by your xenophobic attitude. Fortunately, our founding fathers didn't exhibit your distaste for travel. No wonder the US is having so much trouble convincing Iraqis that our way is the right way.