MBA after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeenut0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I'm an IMG and graduate in Dec/Jan, and if I match I'll have around 6 months free. I was considering doing some research/scribe work but would be interested in other paths I can pursue. I really like learning and being a student in general, and was wondering how long it would take to get an MBA after an MD degree? What would I need to enroll in (online, part time, etc?) Are there other degrees i could look into? TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think that 6 months will be long enough to complete any post secondary degree. My understanding is that an MBA, when completed as a dual degree alongside an MD, is usually completed in a year. When complemented seperately, MBA courses typically require 2 years.
I am not terribly familiar with this information - you may find more luck on the MD/MBA section of this forum.

The fastest full MBA program I've ever heard of, in person or online, is ten months. Some executive MBAs may be faster, but you can Google that just as well as I can. A few things to bear in mind:
  1. You get what you pay for, so to speak. If you take a super-fast MBA program from a no-name university, you may get a poor education and future employers will say "Wait, you got your MBA from where? Is that even a real school?"
  2. In business circles, an executive MBA is seen as an MBA-lite, and it won't open up as many doors as a full MBA will.
  3. Once you start residency, you won't have time or energy for a master's program. When you're not working, you'll be studying medicine. I earned my MBA over a 33-month period as an attending and it was still exhausting; I can't imagine trying to do that as a resident.
I encourage you to think hard before committing to another expensive, time-intensive educational program at this point. Wait until after the Match at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Fox school of Business at Temple University has an all online MBA (excluding one "orientation" week which you get 3 credits for). After a one week orientation, the entire degree is online. It takes 20 months (minimum) and 6 years maximum to complete but since you can only take one accelerated class at a time, you can still work while completing the program. You can start and stop the program whenever you'd like, as long as you complete within 6 years. I guess it depends on your residency program if this is feasible but, they are really wonderful in accommodating your schedule. I think with an MD degree, they will also give a GMAT waiver.

There might be better programs but, this is the one I'm in so it's all I know about. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users