MBA anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GujuMD

1K member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a re-app this year and still haven't gotten in. Lately I have been thinking about my future plans, and the more I think about it...more I think I want to go and get my MBA and become a business person. If i get accepted to med school...i would certainly take it. however, if i don't then I wouldn't mind getting my MBA...my question is that is it too late to apply for MBA programs...considering the fact that i haven't even taken my GMAT's?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a re-app this year and still haven't gotten in. Lately I have been thinking about my future plans, and the more I think about it...more I think I want to go and get my MBA and become a business person. If i get accepted to med school...i would certainly take it. however, if i don't then I wouldn't mind getting my MBA...my question is that is it too late to apply for MBA programs...considering the fact that i haven't even taken my GMAT's?

I know there were at least 3 or more schools I came accross on the interview trail that had MD/MBA programs (UPenn comes to mind).

MBA admissions occurs in three rounds. Second round deadlines are over for most if not all schools. If you take the GMAT very soon, then you could possibly apply third round. I would look into which MBA programs you want to apply to and what their application deadlines are.

:luck: mdapp06

Members don't see this ad :)
Many MBA schools actually have rolling admissions, usually its the top 20 or so (very school individualized) that does it in rounds.

While some might think "the grass is greener" on the other side by going to business, if you have no business experience you will have a problem getting into an MBA program most likely. Many programs require a few years business experience and some even require certain classes such as accounting/finance/statistics.

With that said you might be able to do a dual degree program if you have interests in both. Its not "too late" for the GMAT's and MBA programs but if you are looking for a competitive program (top 20) your chances aren't as high as the applicant pool is a little larger now than if you would have applied in the Fall/winter.

PM me if you have any questions or comments. I'm actually preparing for a similiar route for the 2008 cycle. Maybe my knowledge might be of some help.

im not a reapp, but i still havent received an acceptance, only waitlists..believe it or not, i have been thinking the same thing:) . if im gonna be out of school for 2 years, i wanna do something useful and challenging, and would definitely love to stay in school. mba programs take 1-1.5yrs, and since i would be retaking my mcat this/next year, completing my amcas for 2009 entry, and hopefully interviewing in september-dec 2008, i would have roughly a sufficient time frame to complete an mba. gmats are administered practically every day at testing sites, which makes it all the more convenient.

mba programs differ on deadlines, and in most cases, deadlines for fulltime mba programs are sooner than for part time ones. ive come across some schools that have ended application reviews, but for the most part, deadlines are at the mid/end of may, and require the gmat to have been completed at least one day before the deadline. i heard the gmat isn't much harder than sat math, but im not sure; i dont think u'd really need to study much tho.

btw, do you have a business background? im completing my bio major, & im not sure if the fact that i havent taken a business class or had much releveant work experience in the biz field would affect my chances at applying.

Many MBA schools actually have rolling admissions, usually its the top 20 or so (very school individualized) that does it in rounds.

While some might think "the grass is greener" on the other side by going to business, if you have no business experience you will have a problem getting into an MBA program most likely. Many programs require a few years business experience and some even require certain classes such as accounting/finance/statistics.
With that said you might be able to do a dual degree program if you have interests in both. Its not "too late" for the GMAT's and MBA programs but if you are looking for a competitive program (top 20) your chances aren't as high as the applicant pool is a little larger now than if you would have applied in the Fall/winter.

Let me post here before everyone jumps on the high and mighty MBA.

First read the post above...especially the highlighted section.

1. You need work experience before you can get into business school. Unlike medical school, you can apply from undergraduate only if you go the MD/MBA route because business school will count MD training as work experience.
2. GMAT math test the same math subjects as the SAT but it is by no means comparable. GMAT happens to be a computer adaptive test (CAT) and trust me, you've never seen probability and statistic get so complicated. (CAT adapts to your knowledge(right vs wrong answers) and gives questions based on that.
3. Full time MBA take 2 years, not (1-1.5 years) if done seperately(without MD). It's even longer if it's not done full-time. The only MBA I can think of that awards the degree in less than 2 years is the executive-mba(E-MBA) and you need to be a executive(mid-level manager) to even apply.
4. Unlike medical school, the business school you go to matters. How much job opportunity you recieve will be based on your school reputation (that is, recruiters come to the school) and connections with classmates and alumni.
5. Gunners (not saying you are one) usually are bad fit for b.school because the community relies more on team based projects and the grades reflect that. Anti-social students not welcome.
6. There are probably more, but I'm getting tired. Plus I have to get back to the HIV thread, it's getting interesting there.

P.S.
This message was not addressed to mshheaddoc, I only needed to reference her post.

I would advise that, if an MBA applicant is going to take the GMAT, that he/she takes the time to study for the GMAT!! Don't go into it cold. The material may not be "hard" for some people, but pacing is something that I personally think is important for any standardized exam. Practice makes perfect!

There are 1 year MBA programs at some schools, but those are mostly geared toward individuals with some business experience or business coursework (I'm basing this off of my knowledge of Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management). If you are interested in 1 year programs, I would investigate the 1 year programs at schools you are interested in and check to see if you meet the requirements.

:luck: mdapp06

4. Unlike medical school, the business school you go to matters. How much job opportunity you recieve will be based on your school reputation (that is, recruiters come to the school) and connections with classmates and alumni.
IceMan's post is dead on except I want to clarify something on the above quoted. You don't need to go to a top 20 MBA school to get a good MBA education. There are many schools that offer MBA's but usually going to one that is the top 100 or top 50 can get you a solid position. If you want to be on wall street working for Goldman Sacs, go to a top 20 school. This isn't to deter people to think that everything outside of top 20 schools suck. Please, by all means apply to all the programs you want. I wish I had the money and networking contacts to go to UPenn's program, but the fact is those are highly competitive to get into and I had an arrangement with my employer. Honestly most good MBA programs are competitive because of the amount of people seeking this degree from reputable universities.

I would examine their curriculum and make sure you are getting what you pay for. (read: don't do an online MBA :cool: ) The school matters a little more than medical school but most schools are probably adequate enough to get you a good position. Its more the "skill set" you have that will get you the job, not necessarily "where" you go your MBA. Note: the last sentence doesn't apply to top 20 schools b/c they are extremely competitive and you can pretty much have a built in resource of excellent networking contacts there.

My advice, aim high and you'll hit your mark :luck:

vow....i got more feedback than I thought I would get. thanks everyone...keep them coming!

I know there were at least 3 or more schools I came accross on the interview trail that had MD/MBA programs (UPenn comes to mind).

I think UConn and URochester also have MD/MBA programs as well