MBA, MPH, or SMP? (Low-average GPA, average MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveDocMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I am currently in the application process to matriculate this Fall of 2017. It isn't looking good, however, as I have only had 1 DO interview and no MD interviews. I am still waiting for a number of schools to respond, but I am thinking about plan B now.

I have a 3.47 GPA (3.6 freshman, 2.8 sophomore, 3.65 Junior/Senior year) and a 512 MCAT with lots of shadowing, volunteer as EMT/scribe, underserved volunteering, 1 year lab benchwork.

My question is whether or not I should do an SMP program. I know SMP programs are opportunities to prove that I can handle a medical school courseload, but I wonder if my GPA and MCAT can demonstrate this ability. I want to increase my chances of getting into medical school, but since I want to, as a physician, become healthcare-business-savvy (MBA) and/or take my clinical skills/knowledge to increase public health (MPH), should I choose the MBA or MPH instead of the SMP?
  • I hear from some individuals that an MPH would demonstrate a stronger scientific background and thus increase my chances rather than an MBA.
  • I also heard an MBA or an MPH will make little to no increases in my acceptance chances due to the lack of demonstration of my strength in the sciences.
  • I also am aware that if I do not get into medical school again, I will be of market value if choose the MBA or MPH rather than the SMP.
If possible, I would much rather increase my chances of gaining an acceptance while expanding my scope of knowledge and applicability as a future physician. I just want to know if the MBA or MPH is better for my acceptance and future goals rather than an SMP given my current GPA/MCAT.

All ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
SMP or post-bacc all the way if it's to get you into medical school.

With your decent stats and a U-shaped trend you might get some love next cycle but I can certinaly understand wanting to improve your app and applying when you are fully ready.

The only advantage that MBA and MPH have will be that both are professional degrees that can lead to decent jobs if you don't get into med school

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I am also in a similar boat. I applied to both MD and DO schools this cycle. So far no IIs. I majored in Molecular bio and biochem. I also worked as MA for almost 2 years. I also have shadowing and research experience. I have decent LORs. My sGPA is 3.2 and cGPA is 3.45 but there is an upward trend. My most recent MCAT score is 507 ( 122 in verbal, 128 in psychology and physics and chem, and 129 in bio). I took MCAT 3 times in total but the first time I couldn't study due to some family emergency. Second time I got 495 with pretty balanced score. I tried working in improving my verbal scores but it just wouldn't work.
I am considering doing a MS to improve my GPA. But I am not sure if doing that would compensate for my MCAT scores.
Will going through SMP and improving my GPA increase my chances if I apply next cycle?

Thank you

SMP or post-bacc all the way if it's to get you into medical school.

With your decent stats and a U-shaped trend you might get some love next cycle but I can certinaly understand wanting to improve your app and applying when you are fully ready.

The only advantage that MBA and MPH have will be that both are professional degrees that can lead to decent jobs if you don't get into med school

Yeah, I definitely want to bolster my application before re-applying. Thanks

Just to add, with the exception of an SMP, graduate degrees are not viewed as an enhancement to a weak undergraduate GPA, particularly MPH. You have an obviously single down year in GPA and I do not think your issue is overall GPA number. I would consider a complete review and rewrite of your application and secondaries, additional postbacc courses instead of a full SMP, and to skip a cycle .

Many medical schools offer specific pages of advice for reapplicants, something I find few students look into. This would be true whether or not you are a specific reapplicant to that school. Below are links to a few and please note most say the most common mistake among reapplicants is applying again too soon

See post below for links directly to medical school reapplicant pages
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ear-wamc-advice-please.1191695/#post-17595427

Thanks. Yeah that's the plan- to re-apply when I am completely ready. I have heard from a physician that additional post-bacc classes here and there do not show much strength/respectability rather than another degree (Master's). What do you think about this? Maybe a Masters in Medical/Health Sciences?

Hello,

I am also in a similar boat. I applied to both MD and DO schools this cycle. So far no IIs. I majored in Molecular bio and biochem. I also worked as MA for almost 2 years. I also have shadowing and research experience. I have decent LORs. My sGPA is 3.2 and cGPA is 3.45 but there is an upward trend. My most recent MCAT score is 507 ( 122 in verbal, 128 in psychology and physics and chem, and 129 in bio). I took MCAT 3 times in total but the first time I couldn't study due to some family emergency. Second time I got 495 with pretty balanced score. I tried working in improving my verbal scores but it just wouldn't work.
I am considering doing a MS to improve my GPA. But I am not sure if doing that would compensate for my MCAT scores.
Will going through SMP and improving my GPA increase my chances if I apply next cycle?

Thank you

Did you apply late? That's unfortunate you haven't received secondaries yet. Stay up! Perhaps an SMP/MS will give you the environment you need to be surrounded by for success. Everyone will be gunning for medical school, and they even give you MCAT prep courses that might help you enhance your score.

Did you apply late? That's unfortunate you haven't received secondaries yet. Stay up! Perhaps an SMP/MS will give you the environment you need to be surrounded by for success. Everyone will be gunning for medical school, and they even give you MCAT prep courses that might help you enhance your score.
Thank you. I have already sent my secondaries. I am waiting post-secondaries. I am looking at various SMP/MS programs.

Hello SDN,

I am currently in the application process to matriculate this Fall of 2017. It isn't looking good, however, as I have only had 1 DO interview and no MD interviews. I am still waiting for a number of schools to respond, but I am thinking about plan B now.

I have a 3.47 GPA (3.6 freshman, 2.8 sophomore, 3.65 Junior/Senior year) and a 512 MCAT with lots of shadowing, volunteer as EMT/scribe, underserved volunteering, 1 year lab benchwork.

My question is whether or not I should do an SMP program. I know SMP programs are opportunities to prove that I can handle a medical school courseload, but I wonder if my GPA and MCAT can demonstrate this ability. I want to increase my chances of getting into medical school, but since I want to, as a physician, become healthcare-business-savvy (MBA) and/or take my clinical skills/knowledge to increase public health (MPH), should I choose the MBA or MPH instead of the SMP?
  • I hear from some individuals that an MPH would demonstrate a stronger scientific background and thus increase my chances rather than an MBA.
  • I also heard an MBA or an MPH will make little to no increases in my acceptance chances due to the lack of demonstration of my strength in the sciences.
  • I also am aware that if I do not get into medical school again, I will be of market value if choose the MBA or MPH rather than the SMP.
If possible, I would much rather increase my chances of gaining an acceptance while expanding my scope of knowledge and applicability as a future physician. I just want to know if the MBA or MPH is better for my acceptance and future goals rather than an SMP given my current GPA/MCAT.

All ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks
When were you complete?
What does your school list look like?
What are your ECS like?

Your scores would put you at a good shot of matriculation , and frankly you should have gotten a DO acceptance which leads me to believe your application is weak in terms of EC , and other things.

1. SMP/MPH/MBA will not show adcoms you are ready to handle the corriculum so will do almost nothing to enhance your academic standing.
2. If you have been rejected from DO schools this cycle the problem is not your scores.
3. Late applications can also be problematic.

I would improve your application in other aspects, work in a clinical role/serve the underserved for a year and then apply .

Hello,

Thank you
Your multiple low mcat scores leading up to a 507 are a hard sell to adcoms. Are you an ESL student? When did you submit your secondaries?

Your multiple low mcat scores leading up to a 507 are a hard sell to adcoms. Are you an ESL student? When did you submit your secondaries?
I was an ESL student. English is my second language. I submitted my secondaries for MD around august and the ones for DO around november.

I was an ESL student. English is my second language. I submitted my secondaries for MD around august and the ones for DO around november.
Did you have your secondary essays and primary essays checked prior to submission?

yes I had them proofread by multiple people prior to submission.

I have average ECs. I volunteered at a medical adult day care center for like 2 years(500 hours). I also shadowed a Family practice physician for a month(100 hours). I worked at a doctor's office as a MA for 1.5 years. I did my undergraduate research at CINJ (no publication).

Reactions: 1 user
I have average ECs. I volunteered at a medical adult day care center for like 2 years(500 hours). I also shadowed a Family practice physician for a month(100 hours). I worked at a doctor's office as a MA for 1.5 years. I did my undergraduate research at CINJ (no publication).
I would also volunteer with underserved populations. I would rewrite your personal statement and essays and apply to DO and your state md schools. A post back would help your cause you sgpa and multiple MCATs below 500 are undoubtedly giving adcoms the impression you will struggle in medical school.

I would also volunteer with underserved populations. I would rewrite your personal statement and essays and apply to DO and your state md schools. A post back would help your cause you sgpa and multiple MCATs below 500 are undoubtedly giving adcoms the impression you will struggle in medical school.
Thank you for your advice. How do I find volunteering opportunities with underserved populations? I will definitely work on rewriting my personal statement and essays. I understand my multiple MCAT scores below 500 are hurting my application. That is why I am considering doing SMP so that I can prove myself to admission committees that I am capable of getting through medical school. :)