MBA year between MS2/ MS3 and timing of Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! So I was planning to get my MBA after 3rd year through the dual degree program at my school. However, I’ve been struggling with health issues and it all came to a head during dedicated. It made me realize that I need to take some time to get my health in a better place before MS3 so I moved my MBA year up to be now, between MS2 and MS3.

My MBA classes start in 3 weeks. I was really hoping to be able to take step 1 before then, but I’m not sure I’ll be ready and might need 2-3 more weeks. In the summer term, I only take 3 classes for the mba which will be good.

If I followed the normal school timeline, I would have taken step end of march/ early april and started rotations mid april. My question is, when applying to residencies will it look questionable if I take step 1 in June after my MBA program already started? I’m worried it will look bad or a red flag that I was struggling so hard “just to pass.” If it is, is there a good way to address this?

I plan to use some of this time during the MBA year to prep for step 2 stuff so hopefully I’ll get a good step 2 score which I think could help w any potential "red flag"
 
Last edited:
I doubt anyone would question step 1 taken in June. There are a million reasons why you might delay step 1 if you've got some flexibility with your MBA. Just cite personal/family reasons, pass, and move on. With a good step 2, absolutely no one would question it.