Mba?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmmsteakdinners

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to a school that offers a dual degree MBA/DDS program. It is my state school so it is affordable.

I think it would be nice to have an MBA in case I decide to do less practicing and maybe open a dental insurance practice, focus more on practice management, etc.

Have any of you (practicing dentists) gotten your MBA after graduating, while practicing? Do any of you regret not getting one during your dental education?

Members don't see this ad.

Two questions:
1. How long extra will it take?
2. How much extra will it cost?

Learning to deal with insurance is not rocket science- neither is learning how to run a small business. Most MBA programs do not teach you do either, and are geared towards corporate (although at the rate we are going, you might want to be higher up in the corporate ladder like Caste, Heartland,etc...)

If you are really business minded, then you will calculate any lost productivity due to this program and factor that into any perceived earning potential this MBA can give you (not much in the private practice world).

There is plenty to learn about running a dental office in books at your dental school library and from DentalTown forums online (Waaaaayyyyy more than enough)

There is plenty to learn about running a dental office in books at your dental school library and from DentalTown forums online (Waaaaayyyyy more than enough)

There is also plenty you can learn about dental specialties from a "dental school library and from Dental Town", but it is hardly the best route to choose.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two questions:
1. How long extra will it take?
2. How much extra will it cost?

Learning to deal with insurance is not rocket science- neither is learning how to run a small business. Most MBA programs do not teach you do either, and are geared towards corporate (although at the rate we are going, you might want to be higher up in the corporate ladder like Caste, Heartland,etc...)

If you are really business minded, then you will calculate any lost productivity due to this program and factor that into any perceived earning potential this MBA can give you (not much in the private practice world).

This program would cost me 15K and would add on 1 more year (to be done first year).

I am a business major with a post-bacc and I just think it would be nice to have on my wall because of the way dentistry is headed. Sure, it is still a lucrative great career, but there may be a point where it may be more lucrative to get into the corporate sector (PE and dentistry have been on a honeymoon lately it seems).

Just thought there may be a few dentists out there with experience with this dual degree progam. Thanks!

There is also plenty you can learn about dental specialties from a "dental school library and from Dental Town", but it is hardly the best route to choose.

When it comes down to it, knowledge of almost everything in dentistry can be found in a book or online. Sure, it's not hands on, but you can learn a hell of a lot by reading and learning from others' mistakes.

i dont think you guys understand what I'm saying. Not looking for an MBA to help with running a practice. thanks anyway

If you were a business major, and you clearly enjoy it, why not?
1 year for 15k...not too shabby.

I have spoken to dentists who say they would have gone the dual degree MBA/DDS route if it were offered to them while they were in school.

i dont think you guys understand what I'm saying. Not looking for an MBA to help with running a practice. thanks anyway

Okay, I was assuming that "running a dental insurance practice, focus[ing] more on management" meant running a dental practice (not trying to be a smarta**, sorry)

The only possible things I could see it helping you with would be

1. Working your way up the corporate dental ladder
2. Working at another dental related field (supplier, Benco, HS, Patterson, etc....)
3. Marketing to teach other dentists on business

I'm not saying that it won't be fun [ish] and very educational, but I just don't see the point if you are already into dental school. Someone else help me out here, maybe I'm missing something....

if you want an mba then go for it. however mba is overkill for running a dental office. its up to you whether the 15k and the year of foregone income is worth the paper on your wall.

i think what many here are saying is if youre not getting an mba to help you with your practice then they dont see why youd want to spend the time and money on it.