mbbs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bandit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is this? What is involved in this title and how would one from one of these programs/countries become MD?

thanx!

Members don't see this ad.

Bandit said:
What is this? What is involved in this title and how would one from one of these programs/countries become MD?

thanx!

It is a medical degree in the UK and commonwealth.
Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery

These countries do not grant MD degrees, just like we dont grant the MBBS or MBChB degrees in North America.

Just like how law degrees are JD in the US but LLB in the UK (they used to be LLB here too).

Hope this helps.

new_avatar said:
These countries do not grant MD degrees

Not true! You are right that the basic medical degree is an MBBS or BMBS. However, the MD degree does exist. In Australia, the degree is granted to individuals who undertake further studies past the original degree. Sort of like getting a "master" in medicine. It's worth is probably debatable. Most people who are interested in studying past the first degree go one to receive a PhD. And indeed, academic positions in Australia are becoming difficult to obtain without a PhD.

Members don't see this ad :)
FlindersGrad said:
Not true! You are right that the basic medical degree is an MBBS or BMBS. However, the MD degree does exist. In Australia, the degree is granted to individuals who undertake further studies past the original degree. Sort of like getting a "master" in medicine. It's worth is probably debatable. Most people who are interested in studying past the first degree go one to receive a PhD. And indeed, academic positions in Australia are becoming difficult to obtain without a PhD.

Yes my bad, I knew that too. In Ireland you can get an MD as you mentioned, by doing PhD like research.

To add a little more confusion to the mix, an MBBS = MD degree. Many docs who graduated with an MBBS degree can legally use the title MD in the USA. Whereas, a MD from a Commonwealth school is NOT the same as an MD from the USA.

• Allopathic med schools in the British Commonwealth awards a student doctor with the MBBS or MbChB degree (Medicine Bachelor, Bachelors Surgery)
  • Allopathic med schools in the USA awards a student doctor with the MD degree

The MBBS and MD degrees are, for all purposes, equivalent to each other. And the AMA recognizes the MBBS and MbCHB as the equivalent to the MD degree. Note: getting an "MD" from a school British Commonwealth is like getting a master's degree in Public Health. It is NOT the same as graduating from Med School. So, the MD from the UK, is NOT the same as the MD from the USA. However, the MBBS = MD degree. Hopefully, that is confusing enough! :)

BlondeCookie said:
Note: getting an "MD" from a school British Commonwealth is like getting a master's degree in Public Health. It is NOT the same as graduating from Med School.

That sounds a little misleading (as if your saying, you don't need a medical degree to have an MD in a commonwealth country). That may be the case in the UK, but it is not the case in all commonwealth countries.

FlindersGrad said:
That sounds a little misleading (as if your saying, you don't need a medical degree to have an MD in a commonwealth country). That may be the case in the UK, but it is not the case in all commonwealth countries.

Sorry, but that's not what I'm saying. All I'm saying is that an MD earned in Australia, UK, etc. is not the equivalent to the MD degree earned in the USA. Whereas, an MBBS is the equivalent to the MD degree earned in the USA.

Summary:
MD (from UK, Aus, etc) not equivalent to MD (earned in USA)
MBBS (UK, Aus, etc) is equivalent MD (USA)

Apologies for earlier confusion.

When you graduate from med school in the U.K/commonwealth you get MBBS/MBChB, when you graduate from med school in North America you get MD. That is why they are considered equivalent.

However, an MD in the U.K is earned through approximately 2 years of research (producing a thesis) that can be done following graduation from medical school. It’s like a PhD but doesn’t take as long. Some junior doctors will do this before they become consultants, it’s not essential… but it helps your chances of attaining a competitive academic post.

A North American MD is not the same as a British MD because a British MD is a researched based degree and is not needed to practice clinical medicine (the MBBS is the degree that allows that)

Hope this helped clear things up.

Medicine in North America was founded by Scottish/British doctors carrying the titles MBChB and MBBS!

The MBBS degree has a longer history than the North American MD degree.

Not sure about American med schools; Canadian med schools used to confer the MB degree (instead of MD) to their med graduates. It was later changed to MD but it's essentially an undergraduate medical degree that seems like a doctorate. Graduate medical studies refer to residencies.

thanx for all the info! are these truly an "undergrad" medical degree? what are the pre-reqs for a program like these and is the curriculem identical to that of the US schools?

again, trying to keep this civil---this is NOT a flame thing. The reason I started this is I see these credentials at many of the hospitals and I respect them

Bandit said:
thanx for all the info! are these truly an "undergrad" medical degree? what are the pre-reqs for a program like these and is the curriculem identical to that of the US schools?

again, trying to keep this civil---this is NOT a flame thing. The reason I started this is I see these credentials at many of the hospitals and I respect them

MBBS and/or MBChB degrees are medical degrees. They have nothing to do with being solely "undergrad" medical degrees. Traditionally, they are 6 year programs that do not require an undergraduate degree. Some, however, are 4 year programs that do require a previous degree. However, the end result MBBS or MBChB is the same. The MBBS / MBChB is neither an undergraduate or graduate degree. It is a medical degree.

Same with MD degrees. Mostly, these are 4 year degrees and the require previous university study. However, there are some programs (UMich, is one I think) that allows you to do a full 6 year MD with no university experience. An MD is neither an undergraduate or graduate degree either. It is a medical degree.

Actually, while I agree that both that BMBCh(UK)=MD(US) and that in the US they'd both be called professional degrees it is worth pointing out (for the pedants) that both MDs from the US and BMBCh elsewhere are formally, in academic nomenclature, thought of as undergraduate degrees as they represent someones first study in this subject and don't require original research.

Practically however BMBCh = MD (US version).

There are 4yr medical courses in Auss and UK now that are strictly graduate entry (not even an absolute requirement for all US MD schools), follow a similar pattern of education as US MD schools (1-2 yrs preclinical, 2-3 yrs clinical) and still award BMBCh.

Sorry not sure if this post really adds anything. Unless you are clear on the basics I'd just read the previous posts and ignore this one. :laugh:

In the US, the MD and DO degrees are undergraduate medical degrees.

Bandit said:

prefontaine said:
In the US, the MD and DO degrees are undergraduate medical degrees.

That's right. Most American schools require some "pre-med" undergrad classes which usually amount to 2 years of an undergrad education. So basically, 2 pre-med years + 4 years US MD school = 6 years med education anyway.