MC anemia in the elderly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOapplicant

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey does anyone know this one.

i read in an article (aafp journal) that anemia of chronic dz was most common casue of anemia in the elderly.

UW says it's Fe def anemia.

tried to look it up in harrison's but i had no luck.

seems hy so if anyone really knows would appreciate your help.
thanks and good luck to everyone. :)

Members don't see this ad.

DOapplicant said:
hey does anyone know this one.

i read in an article (aafp journal) that anemia of chronic dz was most common casue of anemia in the elderly.

UW says it's Fe def anemia.

tried to look it up in harrison's but i had no luck.

seems hy so if anyone really knows would appreciate your help.
thanks and good luck to everyone. :)

Not quite sure what the stipulations of the AAFP journal article were, but a couple of things to consider

1) Fe deficiency anemia may be more common (even if its just by a little) primarily because of nutritional deficits that elderly sustain. This in conjunction with various medications that interfere with Fe absorption, thinning skin that can lead to increased susceptibility to traumatic bleeding as well as increased of blood losses in stool

2) AOCD is also a common cause, but assumes that the patient has inflammatory type conditions; take osteoarthritis vs, rheumatoid arthritis; if the patient had RA and a low MCV--> it's likely to be AOCD. If the patient had OA and a low MCV, then they're more likely to have Fe Deficiency anemia.

hope this helps a bit..

ucb

definitely iron deficiency... also, AOCD usually has a normal MCV (according to UpToDate) to help differentiate if given the CBC