MCAT 2015 and 2016 Dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

revenge101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know if the 2016 MCAT dates would be like the ones for 2015? I was looking at the AAMC website, and it looks like they only offer test dates from April to September. If so, because I want to apply for medical schools this upcoming cycle, which testing dates would you suggest for me to take?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure the 2016 dates will be similar to the 2015 ones.

If you're applying in June 2016, then ideally you should take the MCAT anytime between this summer and June 2016 at the latest.

Would it be too late for my medical school application if I plan to take the MCAT on the first 2016 testing date? It looks like, if you take the MCAT on April 17, 2015, then your scores would be available in June, and I heard it is strongly recommended to apply early for medical school. Or, is it possible to send in my medical school application first and then include my MCAT score later?

Well, April scores for the 2016 cycle will probably be available late May; the only reason they're not being released in the usual 30-35 days this go-around is so that AAMC can use the April and May exam scores to create a standard score scale for the new exam.

However, getting your scores back in June is not such a bad thing, and you have two options. If you feel relatively confident about your score, you can submit your application June 1st, but only to one lower-tier school. Your application will take 3-4 weeks to get verified and then be sent off to schools late June/early July. So by the time you get your MCAT score, you'll be very close to if not already done with the verification process, and at that point you can either a) add on the additional schools you want to apply to that make sense based on your score, b) decide you need a retake and wait to add on additional schools until after your retake, or c) decide to reapply next cycle if you need to retake but don't want to risk your chances by applying super late this cycle. The reason why you'd want to only initially apply to one school you're not that interested in attending is so you won't be listed as a reapplicant next cycle, which *may* hurt your chances.

Your other option is to hold off on applying to any schools until you receive your MCAT score. If you, for example, get your score back on June 16th and you like your score, you could submit your application that day, and it would be sent off to schools mid-July. That's honestly not much of a delay at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice so far! Would you recommend taking the MCAT in September this year or April next year? Are MCAT retakes looked down upon by med schools?

1) Totally up to you. Whichever date you think will give you the most amount of time to prepare for; neither holds any advantage over the other otherwise.

2) They are only looked down upon IF your retake score is less than or equal to your first score. You'd want to improve by at least a point or two.