Forum Members 100 DAY MCAT STUDY PLAN adapted from SN2ed & MCATjelly - EK, TBR, TPRH, Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_Nymeria_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

Using this plan (<--Click), I went from 30th Percentile to 90th Percentile!

HERE IS AN UPDATED ARTICLE How I Went from 30th to 90th Percentile (<--Click) I WROTE ABOUT THE SPECIFICS OF MY STUDY PLAN

***UPDATED 2021 100 DAY MCAT SCHEDULE*** CLICK HERE for an updated version incorporating more modern resources. Created by the SDN team based on all of YOUR advice on various pages. Looks awesome!

I created a 2015 adaptation from @SN2ed's and @mcatjelly's study plans. I tried to eliminate some of the physics not covered in the new MCAT and am open to suggestions! I'll also probably combine some of the days if I can get through the chapters quicker than expected.

Key points: Practice is important! Don't read too much about Verbal strategy, just practice and hone your skills. REVIEW EVERYTHING! Always question why you missed something and always question why you got it right. Review should take as long as the actual passage, test, etc.

**I keep getting questions about why I RECOMMEND the pre-2015 books, this is inaccurate. It is not that I recommend pre-2015 MCAT books. I used pre-2015 MCAT books because that was all that was available to me when I was studying for the 2015 MCAT, and it worked fine for me.

**PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THIS BECAUSE I KEEP GETTING REPEAT QUESTIONS: The Kaplan column was adapted from mcatjelly's schedule specifically for individuals that only have Kaplan books and do not want to buy the entire set of materials I used. I did not personally complete mcatjelly's study plan, nor did I study using that. I only used their plan to adapt mine to Kaplan materials. Though I do not recommend the Kaplan books. They are too detailed. The MCAT is more broad!! Don't focus on details.

- Materials I Incorporated:

-SN2ed Complete Set (<-- CLICK AND READ) (BR Verbal not necessary) YOU MUST READ THIS PLAN FOR MINE TO MAKE SENSE- I used Pre-2015 BR books

-2015 Kaplan Study Books & On-Demand Course (optional - only added for individuals that already have Kaplan books) - Not recommended. Too detailed.

-NextStep Psychology and Sociology Strategy and Practice book 2015

You can buy these off of Ebay, Amazon, or you can get them here: For Sale and Advertisements

Here are some updates that you can make to the plan:
- Add AAMC practice question packs the 2-3 weeks before your MCAT. This is a great way to become comfortable with the way the authors write.
- You do not necessarily need three different CARS/Verbal resources. You can use the AAMC question packs, EK101 (though these seem easier than the new CARS section), TPRH Verbal Book
- Think of this plan as a checklist. You can rearrange it however you want
- Realize I posted this plan before I even took the MCAT. I was still trying to make sense of the 2015 MCAT
- Taking forever to read through a chapter? I mostly watched Khan Academy MCAT section to learn a lot of the material then skimmed the chapters for anything Khan Academy did not cover. Then I went and did passages. REVIEW YOUR PASSAGES. Review your mistakes. Review the questions you got right. Spend a lot of time figuring out how you can eliminate answer choices. LEARN to beat the test.
- Don't focus on minute details. The MCAT is BIG PICTURE.
- YOU MUST KNOW YOUR AMINO ACIDS! Here are the two quiz sites I used to learn them (I literally did these every other morning for three months). Click here for structure and Click here for abbreviations
- I made an equation sheet as I was studying. Memorized the equation sheet. Then reproduced the equation sheet on the scratch paper given to me during the tutorial time allotted. I found this very useful.

**Please read all of my responses. It is important to learn the skill of self-learning and researching. I continue to get repeat and ill-researched questions. Remember to review SN2ed's stuff as well. I promise reading these things WILL help you!

You will do A LOT of reading, researching, and planning before you start taking the MCAT
. Remember, AAMC recommends a minimum of 300 hours of studying.

I think the biggest takeaway from all of this is ADAPT these materials to your learning style. PRACTICE. Be tenacious!

Good Luck Everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2015 MCAT STUDY PLAN.pdf
    300.1 KB · Views: 61,380
  • MCAT STUDY PLAN.docx
    242.6 KB · Views: 15,702
  • NEW 2019 100-Day-MCAT-Schedule-SDN Created - NOT MINE.pdf
    266.9 KB · Views: 987
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 58 users
I also made some answer sheets for EK1001 and Bio In-Class Exams to be able to resell books.

Attachments

• BIO EK IN-CLASS EXAMS Sheet1.pdf
    27.7 KB · Views: 4,386
  • GEN CHEM EK1001 Sheet1.pdf
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,927
  • OCHEM EK1001 Sheet1.pdf
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,458
  • PHYSICS EK1001 Sheet1.pdf
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,446
Reactions: 8 users
Thanks so much for sharing this! I've been using Next Step Tutor's study schedule with TBR books for my first week of MCAT prep. I've realized that (at least for me) TBR books don't work well for that schedule since they are much longer and more detailed than the EK books that the schedule refers to. Your revised SN2ed schedule helped me out immensely in creating my own schedule using materials from both SN2ed and Next Step Tutor. Thanks again and good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for sharing this! I've been using Next Step Tutor's study schedule with TBR books for my first week of MCAT prep. I've realized that (at least for me) TBR books don't work well for that schedule since they are much longer and more detailed than the EK books that the schedule refers to. Your revised SN2ed schedule helped me out immensely in creating my own schedule using materials from both SN2ed and Next Step Tutor. Thanks again and good luck! :)

I'm really glad it helped!! Some people have been asking about the EK books in relation to my schedule, so maybe you could upload yours for them :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you still doing all the EK 1001 even after the feedback from the recent test takers ?

What's the feedback from recent test takers? I think it's a solid quick test of what you know and what you're weak on.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello quick question, for the EK1001 Questions answer sheets posted, I assume that the question number with purple are the questions that we should go over, and the rest can be ignored correct?

What's the feedback from recent test takers? I think it's a solid quick test of what you know and what you're weak on.

How are you supposed to use EK 1001 bio? I heard that some of the passages/concepts are repeats? does anyone know which ones you're supposed to skip?

With all due respect to everyone who has put in a lot of effort to make these plans- I don't think these are plans that everyone or even most people will be successful with. A plan must be specific to the person. You must tailor it to your strengths and weaknesses. Rather than relying SOLELY on others' advice, go to your Barnes and Nobles and check out the different book sets. Look at the style of writing and question formatting. Match that to the AAMC official guide. Also, look at your commitments, lifestyle, and circumstances.

Ultimately, the MCAT tests (directly and indirectly):

-knowledge of subjects
-more important: how effective you have been in learning these topics and retaining the concepts THROUGHOUT college.
-commitment to your career
-ability to prioritize and time manage
-ability to manage stress
-response to variable conditions and curve balls
-big one: self reflection!!!

Reactions: 20 users
With all due respect to everyone who has put in a lot of effort to make these plans- I don't think these are plans that everyone or even most people will be successful with. A plan must be specific to the person. You must tailor it to your strengths and weaknesses. Rather than relying SOLELY on others' advice, go to your Barnes and Nobles and check out the different book sets. Look at the style of writing and question formatting. Match that to the AAMC official guide. Also, look at your commitments, lifestyle, and circumstances.

-knowledge of subjects
-more important: how effective you have been in learning these topics and retaining the concepts THROUGHOUT college.
Yea I just did a ch a day and it's passages for the most part lol what is with these fancy schedules. But nevertheless, looks great and good luck!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hello quick question, for the EK1001 Questions answer sheets posted, I assume that the question number with purple are the questions that we should go over, and the rest can be ignored correct?

Hello! Yes, I just made every third question a purple box. I personally did more than just every third question for the topics that I was unsure about. I found it was all a really great review!

How are you supposed to use EK 1001 bio? I heard that some of the passages/concepts are repeats? does anyone know which ones you're supposed to skip?

I did not use the EK 1001 Bio, the questions were really strange and more medically related than basic science related (though I only glanced at them). I think the BR bio book's passages were really great and also used the NS Bio/Biochem books to prepare, though I found the questions to be much more difficult than the actual test.

Members don't see this ad :)

-knowledge of subjects

As someone who went from 30th percentile (last year) to 90th percentile (this year), I have a few pointers and critiques.

I agree with some of what you said. I did a TON of research before I tailored my schedule to my own needs, and really used it as a guide to get started and to get some structure before diving in.

The things I think the MCAT tests are:
-Confidence
-Ability to eliminate answers and not talk yourself in circles about answers
-Willingness to study harder than you ever have in your entire life

That said, the BR books are really popular for a reason, they have the most passage based questions and the answers they provide are quite in depth and also offer test STRATEGY (which is SUPER important). I found the EK 1001 books to be really helpful in showing me which concepts I thought I knew, but did not know.

I did not use the Hat Trick, instead I did tons of question reviewing figuring out WHY I got something wrong and why I got it right.

Reactions: 13 users
Hi I want to say thank you so much for this! I was originally going to take the MCAT 3 years ago and had started the SN2ed schedule but life happened and I just took it recently using TPR online course and did very poorly (YIKES) mostly again life happened and I ended up stretching out my mcat until September (originally planned for May/June)
I'm planning to retake in April (January is cutting to close now :c)! I'm going to use your schedule! But I guess for the newer books suggested I'll just use my TPR 2015 books bc I didn't get to finish them anyway :/ do you think that will be alright?
And for the BR books I see you have some that are pre-2015 so does that mean you use 2015 BR as well?
Thank you once again! :D

Last edited:
I've found the new organic books from TBR to be really helpful. But I think you can use the old ones for biology, chemistry, and physics. Obviously you need their psych book as there is no older one.

Hi I want to say thank you so much for this! I was originally going to take the MCAT 3 years ago and had started the SN2ed schedule but life happened and I just took it recently using TPR online course and did very poorly (YIKES) mostly again life happened and I ended up stretching out my mcat until September (originally planned for May/June)
I'm planning to retake in April (January is cutting to close now :c)! I'm going to use your schedule! But I guess for the newer books suggested I'll just use my TPR 2015 books bc I didn't get to finish them anyway :/ do you think that will be alright?
And for the BR books I see you have some that are pre-2015 so does that mean you use 2015 BR as well?
Thank you once again! :D

Hi 91_i,
I'm glad you will use the study plan! Life definitely happens. I would really count on putting aside a solid 3 months to prep for the test. You are working on strategy and confidence just as much as you are working on content mastery, if not more. The good news about doing really poorly on the MCAT is that you have A LOT more room to grown than if you had done average or slightly below your best potential. At least, that's how I felt when I went from 30th to 90th percentile.

Sounds like Swagster can speak to the 2015 TBR books better than I can. I used pre-2015 TBR books, and found that to be just fine. I relied heavily on Khan Academy for the psych/soc section (although I was a psych major) and Kaplan for the biochem section (I got my masters in physiology so I was also pretty strong in this content area).

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a little confused as to what happens around day 80-85 in the plan. There seems to be some jumping back to days? Can anyone clarify this for me?

Hi, Thank you for posting this, I plan on using most of the schedule to study but I was wondering if you had alternatives to the Kaplan full length tests? I know e-mcat currently only has only one full length...

Thanks again!

Silly question but when the study guide says + 1/3. What exactly is that referring to?

It's from the SN2ed method. I copied and pasted an excerpt from that plan below with an example, but it refers to the passages:

Day 1: BR Physics Chapter #1 + Every third practice passage of all the corresponding practice passages for this chapter. Take passages #1, 4, 7, etc. If you have a version with discretes, take discrete #1, 4, 7, etc. and spend about 1 minute per discrete. If you have the version with both "Review" passages and a practice exam, take 1/3 from the Review Passages and 1/3 from the Practice Exam.

For instance:

Review Passages #1, 2, 3
Practice Exam Passages #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

First 1/3: Review Passage #1; Practice Exam Passage: #1, 4, 7
Second 1/3: Review Passage #2; Practice Exam Passage: #2, 5
Final 1/3: Review Passage #3; Practice Exam Passage: #3, 6

Reactions: 4 users
I've been following your schedule and all is well so far! Just a question: When you have Kaplan chapters listed, do you just read the chapters or do the discretes WITH the BR practice exams?

For those of you utilizing this schedule, approximately how many hours are you spending per day to study? I would love to use this plan starting in a few weeks, but I will be enrolled in 15 credits this upcoming semester. I can probably manage to dedicate 3-4 hours a day 5 days a week and more hours on the weekends to study for the MCAT, but I'm not sure if this schedule will allow for that. Thoughts?

Hi! First of all thank you! I have one question; Do you (or anyone else) know if someone has compiled a TPR version of the KAP chapters listed? I am doing that right now weekly as I am going through the study plan but it takes quite some time and if someone has already done it then I'd love to see it! thanks!

Oh also! You have days 82 and 81 twice with different materials to study/FLs ! just an fyi

ohmygosh this is awesome I will likely be creating my own schedule soon using this and other schedules as a guide but I do have a question. I am a bit confused on the Kaplan section of the schedule. You just listed chapters and online videos without saying which subject specifically does that mean the kaplan chapters corresponds to the on demand classes?

ohmygosh this is awesome I will likely be creating my own schedule soon using this and other schedules as a guide but I do have a question. I am a bit confused on the Kaplan section of the schedule. You just listed chapters and online videos without saying which subject specifically does that mean the kaplan chapters corresponds to the on demand classes?

To piggyback off this, are we supposed to do the end of chapter Kaplan practice problems as well? Or will those be a waste of time?

Hey Nymeria, thanks so much for posting this!

Two quick questions-
1) did you feel the old TBR was sufficient for the new exam? I'm looking at buying a 2012 set for real cheap, but have heard some concerns that certain parts aren't detailed enough for the new exam-- especially biochem. So, I'm considering buying the old TBR except bio, and buying the new TBR bio along with the 2015 Kaplan bio. Thoughts?

2) How best do you think one should adapt this plan for a 4 month plan?

Thanks again!

Hey Everyone.

Using this plan, I went from 30th Percentile to 90th Percentile!

HERE IS AN UPDATED ARTICLE I WROTE ABOUT THE STUDY PLAN:
http://www.studentdoctor.net/2015/1...0th-percentile-explaining-my-mcat-study-plan/

I created a 2015 adaptation from @SN2ed's and @mcatjelly's study plans. I tried to eliminate some of the physics not covered in the new MCAT and am open to suggestions! I'll also probably combine some of the days if I can get through the chapters quicker than expected.

- Materials I Incorporated:

-SN2ed Complete Set (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/breaking-down-the-mcat-a-3-month-mcat-study-schedule.623898/) (BR Verbal not necessary)

-2015 Kaplan Study Books & On-Demand Course (optional)

-NextStep Psychology and Sociology Strategy and Practice book 2015

Good Luck Everyone!

Thanks for taking time to make this for us. I have a couple questions regarding materials:

1. Why do recommend using the BR (pre-2015) for content review over books like EK 2015 which are suited more for the new MCAT?

2. Instead of dropping $90 on 3 EK1001 books I have a brand new TPR Hyperlearning Student Workbook. It's filled with several free standing questions and great passages for review. What do you think about working out of that workbook instead of doing the EK1001 questions?

3. I have the 2015 EK books and they have 30 min exams at the end of each lecture with passages. Would these be sufficient practice?

Thanks,

(It's crazy trying to get all the right books/supplies)

Last edited:
Hi, Thank you for posting this, I plan on using most of the schedule to study but I was wondering if you had alternatives to the Kaplan full length tests? I know e-mcat currently only has only one full length...

Thanks again!

Unfortunately, I am not aware of alternatives to the Kaplan FLs right now. The AAMC does have two full lengths now and Next Step offers a free diagnostic. This is definitely something worth looking into!

I've been following your schedule and all is well so far! Just a question: When you have Kaplan chapters listed, do you just read the chapters or do the discretes WITH the BR practice exams?

Hello! I did the discretes AND the BR practice. The discretes are a great quick content check and the BR practice is a great way to content and strategy check yourself.

For those of you utilizing this schedule, approximately how many hours are you spending per day to study? I would love to use this plan starting in a few weeks, but I will be enrolled in 15 credits this upcoming semester. I can probably manage to dedicate 3-4 hours a day 5 days a week and more hours on the weekends to study for the MCAT, but I'm not sure if this schedule will allow for that. Thoughts?

That's going to be really tough! Making a specific schedule that accounts for ALL of your obligations is imperative. How long the schedule takes depends entirely on you! Remember that it's ok to skip content you are comfortable with. The MCAT will test foundational knowledge through application, so you really don't need to know A TON about topics, but you do need to know the fundamentals very well.

Do others want to share their experiences? Personally, I took off as much work as I could and only studied and worked out. I moved in with my mom so it was possible for me. I understand others do not have this luxury and I was very fortunate.

Hi! First of all thank you! I have one question; Do you (or anyone else) know if someone has compiled a TPR version of the KAP chapters listed? I am doing that right now weekly as I am going through the study plan but it takes quite some time and if someone has already done it then I'd love to see it! thanks!

Hi thanks for the question. I do not know of any schedules that are currently made for TPR. You can always search for one on the internet or make your own! My friend (got high 30's on the old MCAT) used TPR to study. His method was as follows:

Every single day that you are studying for the MCAT:
Do 2-3 CARS passages
Complete one chapter for one topic
Complete one chapter for another topic
After the content section of your study guide, look at my study guide to see how to schedule full lengths and review days

Create the plan in advance so you know which chapters you are doing. Try to coordinate it with similar chapters in other topics (ie bonding chapter in OChem and bonding chapter in Gen Chem)

Hope this helps!

Yes, I did not spend much time with the Kaplan materials outside of the FL's and the Biochem book. This is why I include @mcatjelly's study plan at the bottom of my guide. I used her study guide to supplement mine and have them all in one place. I did not personally check all of it, only some of it. Her's might be better for you!

Hey Nymeria, thanks so much for posting this!

Two quick questions-
1) did you feel the old TBR was sufficient for the new exam? I'm looking at buying a 2012 set for real cheap, but have heard some concerns that certain parts aren't detailed enough for the new exam-- especially biochem. So, I'm considering buying the old TBR except bio, and buying the new TBR bio along with the 2015 Kaplan bio. Thoughts?

2) How best do you think one should adapt this plan for a 4 month plan?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the question. Here is what I recommend:

1) I think the old TBR was sufficient for the exam. I believe I had 2013. I'm not sure if there are differences between the ones I had and 2012. I do think you would have to supplement the old books with some sort of Psych/Soc book and also Biochem. You could just use an old biochem textbook and review general concepts, you could get the Kaplan Biochemistry book, or you could try the new TBR book, although I have not seen the new TBR book and cannot attest to whether or not it is good for the new MCAT. For bio review, I mostly watched Khan Academy videos because the Exam Krackers book was too content heavy for my taste and I had just finished my masters program in physiology, so bio wasn't really a weak point for me.

2) I would first schedule in all of your non-mcat obligations for the next 4 months, then start putting in the ~100 days of studying. There are some days that you will finish early, and some chapters that may actually end up taking more than one day, so 4 months will give you good flexibility. Just start basic concept building and some light practice for now. Three months out will be heavy content. Two months out will be timed practice and more content. The final month would be straight practice.

Thanks for taking time to make this for us. I have a couple questions regarding materials:

1. Why do recommend using the BR (pre-2015) for content review over books like EK 2015 which are suited more for the new MCAT?

2. Instead of dropping $90 on 3 EK1001 books I have a brand new TPR Hyperlearning Student Workbook. It's filled with several free standing questions and great passages for review. What do you think about working out of that workbook instead of doing the EK1001 questions?

3. I have the 2015 EK books and they have 30 min exams at the end of each lecture with passages. Would these be sufficient practice?

Thanks,

(It's crazy trying to get all the right books/supplies)

1. I studied before any 2015 materials were available (except the Kaplan books). You will have to look elsewhere for reviews on the EK 2015 books and whether or not they are actually suited more for the new MCAT. The content and strategy is still going to be pretty similar minus the addition of psych/soc. I also made this study guide with all the materials I had available to myself.

2. I think that should be fine! I didn't use the TPRH Science book myself, but it seems like it would serve the sam purpose as the EK 1001 books.

3. Unfortunately, I think you would benefit from more practice than that. Do they also have passages or are they only discrete? You want to gather as much material as you can that replicates what you will see on the MCAT. AAMC offers practice passages and problem packages that may be useful.

One thing to keep in mind is you can also sell your books after you take the test. I made almost all of my money back for all of my books.

Oh also! You have days 82 and 81 twice with different materials to study/FLs ! just an fyi

Thank you for catching this! It is actually mis-numbered. Nothing needs to be omitted, the numbering just needs to be fixed in the number column.

Hello! I did the discretes AND the BR practice. The discretes are a great quick content check and the BR practice is a great way to content and strategy check yourself.

Thank you. I know you may not care but I feel like I have to mention that i'm very grateful for your post. The schedule is working great so far, and I started it 4 months out, so i'm really getting to go all out on it. This schedule is GREAT for those who are willing to use a lot of study material to get the job done; for those who want to put their pedal to the floor for studying. I feel like I have a big arsenal and don't feel like i'm lacking.

Great stuff!

Thank you. I know you may not care but I feel like I have to mention that i'm very grateful for your post. The schedule is working great so far, and I started it 4 months out, so i'm really getting to go all out on it. This schedule is GREAT for those who are willing to use a lot of study material to get the job done; for those who want to put their pedal to the floor for studying. I feel like I have a big arsenal and don't feel like i'm lacking.

Great stuff!

I'm so happy to hear that!! I loved this study schedule and am happy it seems to be helping so many others!

Hi thanks for the question. I do not know of any schedules that are currently made for TPR. You can always search for one on the internet or make your own! My friend (got high 30's on the old MCAT) used TPR to study. His method was as follows:

Every single day that you are studying for the MCAT:
Do 2-3 CARS passages
Complete one chapter for one topic
Complete one chapter for another topic
After the content section of your study guide, look at my study guide to see how to schedule full lengths and review days

Create the plan in advance so you know which chapters you are doing. Try to coordinate it with similar chapters in other topics (ie bonding chapter in OChem and bonding chapter in Gen Chem)

Hope this helps!

Oh hey! Thank you! also I ended up finding a schedule that does use TPR! it's this one right here c: http://www.mcatforme.com/course/3-month-mcat-schedule-2015/

Thank you so much for this! Quick Question, for SN2ed full set what edition/year did you use for the EK and BR books? Is there a reason why you went with those over the post-2015 EK and BR books? Thanks.

Question for you @_Nymeria_ I am confused about the last few days where you have indicated to complete the last 1/3 of passages..you say , for example, to do the last 1/3 of Chapter 9 on Day X and then again on Day Y. Do you mean just reviewing them, or actually completing them again? Sorry for the confusion...i may be missing something.