MCAT 507, GPA 3.5, 5 MD II, 2 attended so far, 2 acceptances. AMA!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymousmed94

Reaction score
Hi guys! I thought I'd post and offer some advice. My stats were pretty mediocre in applying to MD schools, but I ended up having 5 IIs total this cycle, of which I've attended 2 and have been accepted to both of the two schools I interviewed at thus far. I felt like it would be close to impossible to go MD outside of my state schools, but have had plenty of success and would love to answer any questions people may have about landing that MD acceptance when you're a bit below average.- I was so convinced my C+ in orgo II and B-'s in physics I and II were going to break me. Feel free to ask me any questions, but a few things I think that helped make me successful beyond my stats:
  1. Unique volunteering experiences -> I volunteered with many different cultural backgrounds; this was very formative for me and was something I was asked about a LOT on my interview trail, more than any of my other experiences.
  2. Vulnerability in my personal statements -> I was very open about my life, my journey, and my personal growth...but also touched on growth I still need to achieve. I think acknowledging that I'm continuing to grow and change, and am not perfect was a selling point as it showed maturity.
  3. A note about research- I had pretty average research experience, definitely no publications. I helped with two research projects: one semester in a pretty typical lab, and the other was helping with a literature review. Rather than focus on the fact that my research is average, I focused on what I learned about critical thinking/evaluating studies and how I planned to apply to that to medicine. This was VERY well received.
I did include some of the activities that I participate in for personal wellness as slot "15" on my AMCAS- these included running, cooking, free writing for fun. I actually was asked about this at both schools, and they seemed to be pleased that I was invested in my own wellness.
I'll start with that, but feel free to ask any further advice or questions you may have!

Edit: I am not a URM- I am a white female.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I have the same stats so this is amazing to see. Congrats!

Few questions:
- How many schools did you apply to?
- Are you URM?
- How much clinical experience did you have?

I have the same stats so this is amazing to see. Congrats!

Few questions:
- How many schools did you apply to?
- Are you URM?
- How much clinical experience did you have?

Hey there! No, I am not URM- I am a white female!

-I applied to 20 MD schools. I planned to apply DO next cycle if I did not get into any MDs this year.

-My clinical experience was decent, but again nothing out of this world. For paid clinical experience, I had about 1000 scribe hours working in a family medicine office, and about 400 hours working with patients in the PACU. Note that these figures included my projected hours. I also had about 200 clinical volunteering hours from volunteering in a children's hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I’m an applicant that’s ORM well soon to be applicant in about a year that will prob have similar stats!

What do you think it was that got you into med school? Not being condescending but SDN usually states 3.7/510

Congrats. Did those scribe hours count as shadowing too?

Congrats OP.

A few questions:

1. What do you mean by different cultural backgrounds?

2. How many gap years did you take?

3. Are your acceptances from OOS private medical schools? Of approximately what rank?

4. What were your leadership activities?

Are your acceptances from OOS publics or privates

Any from instate publics?

Are you from a lucky state

Reactions: 1 user
No questions but congratulations!! That's an awesome cycle, nice to see some medical schools actually being holistic.

Congrats! I’m an applicant that’s ORM well soon to be applicant in about a year that will prob have similar stats!

What do you think it was that got you into med school? Not being condescending but SDN usually states 3.7/510

Hi! I don't think you're being condescending at all, don't worry. I really think that it was being able to sell a consistent story that was appealing to medical schools. I focused a lot on service in my app, as my non-clinical volunteering hours were my greatest strength. I tried to explain how each activity I did gave me skills to help a diverse patient population in some way. I was definitely asked the most about my service activities while at my interviews. So I'd say look at what your biggest strengths are, and use that to shape the story of your application and how ultimately "your story" will help you serve patients in the best way possible.

Congrats OP.

A few questions:

1. What do you mean by different cultural backgrounds?

2. How many gap years did you take?

3. Are your acceptances from OOS private medical schools? Of approximately what rank?

4. What were your leadership activities?

Hey there!

1) I live in a city that has a very diverse population. We have a lot of specific refugee groups that remain deeply rooted in their cultural backgrounds, rather than "assimilating." I volunteered with several different ethnic groups, and it was extremely eye opening for me and made me truly want to be a doctor that focuses on underserved backgrounds. I think med schools found the fact that I wanted to learn to effectively work with people of all backgrounds in my community, and thought that this would carry over into my medical practice.

2) Just one! I graduated in May 2018.

3) One of my acceptances is from an OOS private that is a solid middle tier. One is from one of my state schools. My three other interviews are one OOS public and two OOS privates that are also solid mid tiers. I didn't bother applying to any top tiers, because I knew I didn't have the stats for it.

4) I was in a sorority and held a leadership role through that. I was vice president of another student organization. I was also a TA.

Reactions: 1 user
Are your acceptances from OOS publics or privates

Any from instate publics?

Are you from a lucky state

Hi! One acceptance is from an OOS private, one is from an instate public. My remaining interviews are at two OOS privates and one OOS public. I'm not from one of the lucky states- I live in the midwest with fairly competitive state schools.