MCAT 510, GPA 3.97 Possible Re-applicant CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pqr

Reaction score
Hi y'all,

I could really use some helpful and constructive advice. I graduated c/o 2021 with dual majors in humanities and biology and applied this cycle with my 510 MCAT. I submitted most of my secondaries 3-5 weeks after I was invited to do so. I got 1 interview (waitlist), the rest are rejected or pending.

Race/Ethnicity: Asian
GPA: 3.97 cumulative and bpcm at top UC school
MCAT: Took twice 509 -> 510
State of Residence: CA
Interests: biopsychosocial, social determinants of medicine, humanistic perspective of medicine
MBTI: ENFJ
EC: heavy clinical, heavy community service, some artistic endeavors and fun, low research. Overall strong (Not worried about this as much) and in this gap year, I expanded into more research and clinical positions.

Applied to schools: UCLA, UCI, Georgetown, Albany, George Washington, Temple, Penn State, Jefferson, UC Riverside, CUSM, Rochester, SUNY Upstate, SUNY Downstate, Stony Brook, Miami, Tulane, Loyola, USC, UC Davis, Arizona Tucson, Arizona Phoenix, Rutgers RWJ, Rutgers NJMS, Einstein,

During my application cycle, I had no peers involved with medicine or premedicine. NOW, I have had peers in med school read my application and I asked them what I could have done to improve and they suggested that my writing style needs to improve.

I am debating if I should re-take the MCAT for a THIRD TIME. Because the first two times I took it, I was also simultaneously taking courses at school to graduate. (I did not know any better that retaking it was frowned upon). I would love if anyone would be available for a Zoom call/meeting..., but also I am excited to start using SDN too.

Can you help me with a school list? / Should I take the MCAT a third time?

Members don't see this ad.

Your school list was part of the reason you received only 1 interview. You had 7 state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with a MCAT of 510 and no connection to the state. Where is your one waitlist ?

Reactions: 2 users
Where was the waitlist? You may see movement if you got the interview at UC Riverside or Davis. Others could too in the coming months. Good job getting trustable peers to review your writing. Have a different set besides just a medical student to see an older person's perspective too.

Of your list, I would not have applied to one of Riverside or Davis. They focus on students serving the areas respective to them. The only way I could see you having a good shot at both would be if you grew up near one and went to undergrad at the other. Do not apply to the Arizonas, SUNY schools, Stony Brook, or the Rutger schools again. Rochester not the best choice either.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your school list was part of the reason you received only 1 interview. You had 7 state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with a MCAT of 510 and no connection to the state. Where is your one waitlist ?
Albany!

Where was the waitlist? You may see movement if you got the interview at UC Riverside or Davis. Others could too in the coming months. Good job getting trustable peers to review your writing. Have a different set besides just a medical student to see an older person's perspective too.

Of your list, I would not have applied to one of Riverside or Davis. They focus on students serving the areas respective to them. The only way I could see you having a good shot at both would be if you grew up near one and went to undergrad at the other. Do not apply to the Arizonas, SUNY schools, Stony Brook, or the Rutger schools again. Rochester not the best choice either.
Thank you for your honesty! I appreciate it more than you know. Do you have any recs of schools I should apply to given my “stats” and interests?

I suggest these schools if you reapply:
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Miami
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
Kaiser
UC Irvine
UC Davis
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your honesty! I appreciate it more than you know. Do you have any recs of schools I should apply to given my “stats” and interests?
See the wise Faha’s list above. I agree with it, perhaps add some DO schools as insurance if you are interested in that. They do have higher non-refundable deposits though, so you may lose out on up to $1000 or $2000 if you receive your MD acceptance later.

Consider:
Touro CA
Touro NV
Western
PCOM
DMU
NYIT
KCOM

Albany takes many people off the waitlist, and I suspect there will be a good deal of accepted students who opt for another school and open up more slots. If you have any questions, you can PM me if you do not want to discuss them publicly. Have not used Zoom before with people from SDN so will have to think about that.

I would not retake the MCAT. You have a good score for many of the service-oriented schools and your high GPA helps a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
Add Cooper Rowan (MD school)

Don't retake the MCAT

See the wise Faha’s list above. I agree with it, perhaps add some DO schools as insurance if you are interested in that. They do have higher non-refundable deposits though, so you may lose out on up to $1000 or $2000 if you receive your MD acceptance later.

Consider:
Touro CA
Touro NV
Western
PCOM
DMU
NYIT
KCOM

Albany takes many people off the waitlist, and I suspect there will be a good deal of accepted students who opt for another school and open up more slots. If you have any questions, you can PM me if you do not want to discuss them publicly. Have not used Zoom before with people from SDN so will have to think about that.

I would not retake the MCAT. You have a good score for many of the service-oriented schools and your high GPA helps a lot.
Thanks Chilly! I am working on a new Personal Statement before my re-application!

Hi y'all,

I could really use some helpful and constructive advice. I graduated c/o 2021 with dual majors in humanities and biology and applied this cycle with my 510 MCAT. I submitted most of my secondaries 3-5 weeks after I was invited to do so. I got 1 interview (waitlist), the rest are rejected or pending.

Race/Ethnicity: Asian
GPA: 3.97 cumulative and bpcm at top UC school
MCAT: Took twice 509 -> 510
State of Residence: CA
Interests: biopsychosocial, social determinants of medicine, humanistic perspective of medicine
MBTI: ENFJ
EC: heavy clinical, heavy community service, some artistic endeavors and fun, low research. Overall strong (Not worried about this as much) and in this gap year, I expanded into more research and clinical positions.

Applied to schools: UCLA, UCI, Georgetown, Albany, George Washington, Temple, Penn State, Jefferson, UC Riverside, CUSM, Rochester, SUNY Upstate, SUNY Downstate, Stony Brook, Miami, Tulane, Loyola, USC, UC Davis, Arizona Tucson, Arizona Phoenix, Rutgers RWJ, Rutgers NJMS, Einstein,

During my application cycle, I had no peers involved with medicine or premedicine. NOW, I have had peers in med school read my application and I asked them what I could have done to improve and they suggested that my writing style needs to improve.

I am debating if I should re-take the MCAT for a THIRD TIME. Because the first two times I took it, I was also simultaneously taking courses at school to graduate. (I did not know any better that retaking it was frowned upon). I would love if anyone would be available for a Zoom call/meeting..., but also I am excited to start using SDN too.

Can you help me with a school list? / Should I take the MCAT a third time?
Add DO schools to your list, as beggars can't be choosy.

Suggest PacNW, AZCOM, TOURO.CA, TUNCOM, both WESTERNS, SOMA, DMU, UIW, KCOM, PCOM, ACOM, MUCOM, CUSOM, LECOM, KCU