MD MCAT 515, cGPA 3.93, sGPA 3.94 WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TonyCat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ohio Resident
White Female
MCAT Breakdown: 131/123/130/131

Volunteering:
Nursery, ER, patient discharge
Art with Alzheimer's patients
Sexual Assault Advocate
Service Fraternity

Research:
Independent research project on cardiac hypertrophy at my university; currently publishing
Written 3 research grants, awarded 2 of them

Employment:
lifeguard
volleyball coach

Clubs:
Service Dog club
Pre-med Club
Art with Alzheimer's club (treasurer)

Miscellaneous:
Ran a half marathon
Honor's Advisor to freshman
Physics Award
Publication in English textbook

Current List:
OSU
Case
Toledo
Cincinnati
Wright State
NEOMED
UK
Chicago Loyola
Michigan
Michigan State
Central Michigan
Indiana
University of California Irvine
(Open to suggestions)

@Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM @GrapesofRath any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Youre quite likely to get into at least one of your state schools. Something would have to go rather wrong at the interview or in the written parts of your app to prevent an acceptance. Based off that I would only apply to OOS schools you know going in you would turn down your state schools and their juicy IS tuition for. Schools like Michigan State, Central Michigan, Loyola etc are probably just a waste of time.

Irvine was at 1700 OOS applicants for 6 OOS matriculants last year. Try Keck if you like the LA

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious does this mean that a 123 is not too low. Or does the total score compensate for this?

Just curious does this mean that a 123 is not too low. Or does the total score compensate for this?

You might be able to count on both hands the number of applications some schools receive with a 95th+ percentile score and a 30th percentile subsection in a given year. How each individual school and evaluator will react to this kind of discordance is by and large mostly speculation. There's just not much real track record to go off of to really try and estimate other than occasional scattered anecdotes.

Wright State, Toledo and NEOMED definitely take people with 7's on the verbal where the overall score is far lower than this. I dont expect the CARs score to be a big enough hindrance to preclude an acceptance in state. Hardly. Beyond IS? Ask 10 different ADCOMs, you might get 10 different answers. No way of saying. One thing worth factoring is how schools might react to a low score on this new scale that is being tinkered biannually could vary from how they would react from to a low subsection on the traditional scale.

Perhaps "aim a little lower" OOS than you would with a balanced score. Other than that, I dont think it's worth being overly concerned about. It just kind of it is what it is at this point. 3 sections with 130+ scores surely wont go unnoticed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
@Goro the 123 is the CARS (critical analysis and reasoning skills)

@gyngyn I was born and raised in Irvine and its the school my parents went to, so thats the only reason I'm applying there