MCAT Advice on Scores and Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctobeapple

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help for pre-med-student with an advice what to do next,
Student took a prep class back in Feb,
studied more daily and serious about (mid May,June,July) (2 1/2months) about
5-7 hours daily and worked more practice AAMC MCAT scores and was making in 506-507 (with low cars score 122)
Took the test on early Aug , the score was 499 (126,122,124,127).
Not sure what to advice and if DO is a possibility , MD is out of the question?. A gap year is a must?.
He thinks that he can do better and plan to take end of Sept, is that wise?

Need advice how he should proceed or study , CARS is the biggest issue, he was using Princeton review books

1- should he buy new set of books from another vendor and start fresh studying?
2- How to improve CARS at least 3-4 points so it does not pulling him back ?
3- when should he take the test again? 6 months from now or 1 year from now ?
4- he sent one secondary before he got his score, and he is getting more secondaries , is it even worth filling them out?

Greatly appreciated your opinions.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. For books it depends. I think if he liked the books and understood the knowledge, then no, but if he had a hard time understanding the knowledge then yes. I think that his focus should be retaining information. General advice is that with scores under 500, there is information gaps. Try Uworld. Try Anki flashcards for really getting the info down.
2. I suck at CARS, it was my worst section. 122 is a lot below average, I would consider maybe making a strategy doing cars and hitting 3 timed passages a day at minimum (thats only about 30 mins a day). Maybe even invest in CARS practice material (Uworld is also good for this).
3. I retook my MCAT, and honestly studied less the second time (time frame wise) around but had a concrete plan that I stuck too and improved over 10 points in 3 months. I think that it might be too late this cycle, aim for January worst case April or May. June is a little late, July is ever later.
4. oof thats a tough call, because its probably not what hes gonna want to hear, but what he has to hear. Take a gap year.
Invest in more tests and resources. Find solid study plans that worked for other people and try to emulate them.

1. For books it depends. I think if he liked the books and understood the knowledge, then no, but if he had a hard time understanding the knowledge then yes. I think that his focus should be retaining information. General advice is that with scores under 500, there is information gaps. Try Uworld. Try Anki flashcards for really getting the info down.
2. I suck at CARS, it was my worst section. 122 is a lot below average, I would consider maybe making a strategy doing cars and hitting 3 timed passages a day at minimum (thats only about 30 mins a day). Maybe even invest in CARS practice material (Uworld is also good for this).
3. I retook my MCAT, and honestly studied less the second time (time frame wise) around but had a concrete plan that I stuck too and improved over 10 points in 3 months. I think that it might be too late this cycle, aim for January worst case April or May. June is a little late, July is ever later.
4. oof thats a tough call, because its probably not what hes gonna want to hear, but what he has to hear. Take a gap year.
Invest in more tests and resources. Find solid study plans that worked for other people and try to emulate them.
Thank You for responding, if you don't mind , you mentioned you studied less but you had a concrete plan, what kind of plan you had? was it while you still taking classes, the semester is just starting now so he has to plan off day classes

I worked part time around 30 or so hours and did some volunteering and research. TBH it was just a task oriented plan, finish the books/review weakest subjects, making hella flash cards for the 1st month (just full content review) with a 3 kaplan exams sprinkled throughout. Then month 2 focused on flash cards, weakest content and started doing Uworld, with 3 NS exams. Month 3 was all AAMC material, which I finished in about 2 weeks, then week 3 did 2 exams and week 4 finished up the exams and review the material. I took off work due to COVID the last month.