Any recommendations or tips on studying during a semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ninjafrog741

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all! I have never posted here before, so feel free to tell me if I am breaking the rules or anything. I plan on taking the MCAT in late May (as of right now, I plan on applying next year as I am a Junior, I hope that's not too late).

Anyway, I took the diagnostic Kaplan MCAT exam over winter break and got a 500 (not terribly disappointed as I know it's purposefully tough and before this semester I had not taken any psychology or sociology). I am in classes this semester (relatively easier than normal) and I am doing virtual shadowing, volunteering at a hospital and undergraduate research so it comes out to a lot.

Basically, does anyone have any tips for a study schedule, what to focus on while studying, how much to study this far out etc.? I am strongly considering a gap year because I decided on pre-med so late so I might need it to get some extra volunteering and shadowing, as well as retaking the MCAT if needed. Thanks everyone!
 
If you’re taking a gap year, you have so much time to study for the MCAT. It took me 5 months to study for the MCAR and achieved the score I wanted. i spent about 2 months content review, and the rest on practice problems. Never skipped a day with doing cars and anki review. Did all of them as a full-time student and full-time worker.

On weekdays, I studied at night for about 2 hours. On saturday, I took FL’s.
 
If you’re taking a gap year, you have so much time to study for the MCAT. It took me 5 months to study for the MCAR and achieved the score I wanted. i spent about 2 months content review, and the rest on practice problems. Never skipped a day with doing cars and anki review. Did all of them as a full-time student and full-time worker.

On weekdays, I studied at night for about 2 hours. On saturday, I took FL’s.
Thanks, the more I look into it the more useful a gap year sounds, especially for the MCAT. I decided on going pre-med right before the pandemic, so I am fairly behind on stuff like shadowing and volunteering (though hopefully after this semester I should have close to 75 volunteer hours at least and around 40 in shadowing).
 
Last I saw a majority of applicants took a gap year and most people including myself find it to be a net positive experience. You get all this time to shore up your application, crush the MCAT with dedicated time, and (very overlooked) do something fun besides swim in a pool of anxiety and classwork.

I recommend it, personally.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors