Any recommendations or tips on studying during a semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ninjafrog741

Reaction score
Hey all! I have never posted here before, so feel free to tell me if I am breaking the rules or anything. I plan on taking the MCAT in late May (as of right now, I plan on applying next year as I am a Junior, I hope that's not too late).

Anyway, I took the diagnostic Kaplan MCAT exam over winter break and got a 500 (not terribly disappointed as I know it's purposefully tough and before this semester I had not taken any psychology or sociology). I am in classes this semester (relatively easier than normal) and I am doing virtual shadowing, volunteering at a hospital and undergraduate research so it comes out to a lot.

Basically, does anyone have any tips for a study schedule, what to focus on while studying, how much to study this far out etc.? I am strongly considering a gap year because I decided on pre-med so late so I might need it to get some extra volunteering and shadowing, as well as retaking the MCAT if needed. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

If you’re taking a gap year, you have so much time to study for the MCAT. It took me 5 months to study for the MCAR and achieved the score I wanted. i spent about 2 months content review, and the rest on practice problems. Never skipped a day with doing cars and anki review. Did all of them as a full-time student and full-time worker.

On weekdays, I studied at night for about 2 hours. On saturday, I took FL’s.

If you’re taking a gap year, you have so much time to study for the MCAT. It took me 5 months to study for the MCAR and achieved the score I wanted. i spent about 2 months content review, and the rest on practice problems. Never skipped a day with doing cars and anki review. Did all of them as a full-time student and full-time worker.

On weekdays, I studied at night for about 2 hours. On saturday, I took FL’s.
Thanks, the more I look into it the more useful a gap year sounds, especially for the MCAT. I decided on going pre-med right before the pandemic, so I am fairly behind on stuff like shadowing and volunteering (though hopefully after this semester I should have close to 75 volunteer hours at least and around 40 in shadowing).

Last I saw a majority of applicants took a gap year and most people including myself find it to be a net positive experience. You get all this time to shore up your application, crush the MCAT with dedicated time, and (very overlooked) do something fun besides swim in a pool of anxiety and classwork.

I recommend it, personally.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors