MCAT again...will I be screened out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryandote

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been wondering how this works, and now that I've submitted I'll probably find out. Post here if you already know, or check this thread as I figure it out....

I took the MCAT last August and scored a 30 (PS-7 VR-11 BS-12). I didn't manage time wisely on the first section and left 20+ questions blank. Then I put it in gear and did fairly well for the rest of the exam.

So I'm going to take it again this August, but I already submitted and checked the box that I will take in August. Now, I'm really hoping for the best of both worlds like this: Schools where my first MCAT meets their cut-offs will send me secondaries ASAP. Schools where my first MCAT does not meet the cutoff will wait for my August scores to make a decision. I'm really hoping that not all the schools will just wait 'til October for my score.

Anybody know?

Members don't see this ad.

ryandote said:
I have been wondering how this works, and now that I've submitted I'll probably find out. Post here if you already know, or check this thread as I figure it out....

I took the MCAT last August and scored a 30 (PS-7 VR-11 BS-12). I didn't manage time wisely on the first section and left 20+ questions blank. Then I put it in gear and did fairly well for the rest of the exam.

So I'm going to take it again this August, but I already submitted and checked the box that I will take in August. Now, I'm really hoping for the best of both worlds like this: Schools where my first MCAT meets their cut-offs will send me secondaries ASAP. Schools where my first MCAT does not meet the cutoff will wait for my August scores to make a decision. I'm really hoping that not all the schools will just wait 'til October for my score.

Anybody know?

Probably 3/4 of schools (or more) don't screen before sending out secondaries (they all want your $$). You'll get a good number before your scores.

The schools that do screen will most likely wait on your new scores to evaluate you.

Also, there are very few (probably zero) schools where a 30 is going to earn you a PRE-secondary rejection.

ND2005 said:
Probably 3/4 of schools (or more) don't screen before sending out secondaries (they all want your $$). You'll get a good number before your scores.

The schools that do screen will most likely wait on your new scores to evaluate you.

Also, there are very few (probably zero) schools where a 30 is going to earn you a PRE-secondary rejection.

Even if my first MCAT score meets their screening criteria, you think they will wait (in case I do worse, or something?)

ryandote said:
Even if my first MCAT score meets their screening criteria, you think they will wait (in case I do worse, or something?)

They will wait b/c you checked the box. You check that box, your app goes into the August pile, and they don't worry about it again til they have the August scores.