ryandote

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I have been wondering how this works, and now that I've submitted I'll probably find out. Post here if you already know, or check this thread as I figure it out....

I took the MCAT last August and scored a 30 (PS-7 VR-11 BS-12). I didn't manage time wisely on the first section and left 20+ questions blank. Then I put it in gear and did fairly well for the rest of the exam.

So I'm going to take it again this August, but I already submitted and checked the box that I will take in August. Now, I'm really hoping for the best of both worlds like this: Schools where my first MCAT meets their cut-offs will send me secondaries ASAP. Schools where my first MCAT does not meet the cutoff will wait for my August scores to make a decision. I'm really hoping that not all the schools will just wait 'til October for my score.

Anybody know?

ND2005

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
Atlanta
Status
Pre-Medical
ryandote said:
I have been wondering how this works, and now that I've submitted I'll probably find out. Post here if you already know, or check this thread as I figure it out....

I took the MCAT last August and scored a 30 (PS-7 VR-11 BS-12). I didn't manage time wisely on the first section and left 20+ questions blank. Then I put it in gear and did fairly well for the rest of the exam.

So I'm going to take it again this August, but I already submitted and checked the box that I will take in August. Now, I'm really hoping for the best of both worlds like this: Schools where my first MCAT meets their cut-offs will send me secondaries ASAP. Schools where my first MCAT does not meet the cutoff will wait for my August scores to make a decision. I'm really hoping that not all the schools will just wait 'til October for my score.

Anybody know?

Probably 3/4 of schools (or more) don't screen before sending out secondaries (they all want your $$). You'll get a good number before your scores.

The schools that do screen will most likely wait on your new scores to evaluate you.

Also, there are very few (probably zero) schools where a 30 is going to earn you a PRE-secondary rejection.

ryandote

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
ND2005 said:
Probably 3/4 of schools (or more) don't screen before sending out secondaries (they all want your $$). You'll get a good number before your scores.

The schools that do screen will most likely wait on your new scores to evaluate you.

Also, there are very few (probably zero) schools where a 30 is going to earn you a PRE-secondary rejection.

Even if my first MCAT score meets their screening criteria, you think they will wait (in case I do worse, or something?)

ND2005

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
Atlanta
Status
Pre-Medical
ryandote said:
Even if my first MCAT score meets their screening criteria, you think they will wait (in case I do worse, or something?)
They will wait b/c you checked the box. You check that box, your app goes into the August pile, and they don't worry about it again til they have the August scores.

About the Ads