MCAT and Lack of knowledge in Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ihavequestions2614

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys,

So originally I thought I wanted to take a gap year before I applied to medical school. Recently, I have been contemplating if I should take a gap year. The problem is that I have not taken physics yet. I am planning on taking physics 1 over the summer, but the class won't be over until the start of August. With that in mind, I won't have physics 2 information down unless I self-study physics ahead of time. Does anyone have experience/comments on self-studying physics 1 and 2 in the summer? My GPA is on the lower side, meaning a 3.55, so a high MCAT score would be preferred. If it makes any difference I have 2+ years of working in a research lab, volunteering, shadowing, and various extracurriculars that demonstrate leadership and interest in the health care field. Also, I am a junior in college majoring in biology.
 
Last edited:
Physics is hit or miss on the new MCAT. Some people report getting a very heavy amount of physics on their exams while other report nearly none. My personal experience with practice exams and the S/B thus far has been that there isn't much physics, and the physics that does exists comes in only one of two flavors: very basic (the kind you should know from HS physics) and the completely insane that most physics majors probably wouldn't get. There is a lot of overlap with gen chem so I think what is happening is that some of the stuff that AAMC considers physics is considered gen chem to test takers (for example alpha decay or half-life).
 
Physics is hit or miss on the new MCAT. Some people report getting a very heavy amount of physics on their exams while other report nearly none. My personal experience with practice exams and the S/B thus far has been that there isn't much physics, and the physics that does exists comes in only one of two flavors: very basic (the kind you should know from HS physics) and the completely insane that most physics majors probably wouldn't get. There is a lot of overlap with gen chem so I think what is happening is that some of the stuff that AAMC considers physics is considered gen chem to test takers (for example alpha decay or half-life).
My first test was most biochem but when I wrote again it was all orgo and the tough physics. Do I voided it