eric0880

10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I was trying to coordinate post-bac and med school websites and I'm confused about how one would do a post-bac (of either form) and make application to med schools for the next Fall. I thought you didn't have to have a glide year if you fit everything into a one-year post-bac. Specifically, some of the med school sites were saying the latest one could take the MCAT was August of the year prior to admission. I'm going to do a post-bac this Summer through next Spring, but how can I take the MCAT this August when I won't have taken all the courses covering the material? I was thinking about taking a Kaplan course; do I just have to take it and try my best on the MCAT this August if I want to apply for Fall of 08'? Thanks for any insights.

DoctorPhud

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You're getting a bit confused, I'm afraid...

You still need a glide year, even if you do everything in a year. You need to apply and be interviewed.

Typically (chronologically):
Summer + Autumn + Spring of post-bac
Early summer MCAT
Apply during summer
Autumn/Winter Interviews
August (of year 2) - Start Medical School

You really can't take the MCAT without covering the material in some form. It's not going to work very well... You need to do the post-bac courses first.

Similarly, you can't really apply while you are completing the bulk of the pre-requisites; the schools don't know what your grades are, and they have no MCAT. In addition, you can't get any letters of recommendation from your post-bac tutors, since they haven't met you yet :)

The thing which might be confusing you, is that some post-bac programmes offer 'linkage'. This is an accelerated track for post-bac students that bypasses the glide year. Pass your pre-reqs with enough skill, and a good MCAT and you get to join the class entering medical school that August. But the post-bac programme only offers the link with certain schools. For example, Tufts' 2 year post-bac has a link with Tufts' medical programme and a couple of DO schools. Bryn Mawr links with Brown, Dartmouth, Drexel, George Washington, Jefferson and a few more. It's a limited list which varies depending on the post-bac programme. Some don't have any linkage, so you just apply through AMCAS and have the glide year as normal. At a school with linkage, you can still do AMCAS and the glide as well, to apply to schools outside their linkage.

If you want Harvard, BU, Cornell, Columbia, Penn, Duke, UC* or any other of the big name schools, however, you are unlikely to find them linked to any post-bac except one that they themselves run, and that is rare (e.g. Tufts post bac is the only one that links to Tufts, while Harvard post-bac doesn't have linkage at all).

The USNEWS & World Report Guide to Medical Schools has a proper list in the back of it; it might be a good idea to read that section of the book and decide what your options are.

I hope that helps a little...

DoctorPhud

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
That's good :)

Bryn Mawr really seem to make an effort to have a good linkage list.

My USNews &WR book is a few years old now, so I guess some of the details have changed slightly.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.