MCAT and Spring term Course load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardworker101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Can someone please help me in this issue. I appreciate this.
I want to take the MCAT in April 2006, and I want to put enought time into preparing for it.
I want to take only one scince course(biochem) and take 3 non-scinence the spring term. However, my advisor told me to take 2 sciences.
I feel lost since i think i will be studying for classes when i should be studing for the mcat, which is really important
Do you guys think it looks bad to take only one science and make spring a easy load just to get ready for mcat.
please give me some hints
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it depends on what your 3 non sciences classes are - if you're taking Underwater Basketweaving, dog walking and Women's Studies then no, I don't think that's a heavy enough schedule.

(*waits to be flamed by all the Basketweaving, dog walking and women's studies majors*)

But if you're taking something relatively hard like an upper level history class (tons of writing) or Cognitive Psyc (tons of time in the lab) then I think you're fine. Are you a science major?

Anastasis said:
I guess it depends on what your 3 non sciences classes are - if you're taking Underwater Basketweaving, dog walking and Women's Studies then no, I don't think that's a heavy enough schedule.

(*waits to be flamed by all the Basketweaving, dog walking and women's studies majors*)

But if you're taking something relatively hard like an upper level history class (tons of writing) or Cognitive Psyc (tons of time in the lab) then I think you're fine. Are you a science major?

ok--let me tell you something!! dog walking and basketweaving are real sports--they take a lot of dedication and I have to practice A LOT. I especially have to work on my pooper scooper skills

Your #1 priority for next spring is doing well on the MCAT. It IS a big deal, and adcoms care more about that score than whether you took a hard load that semester. That being said, take non-science courses that are a little tougher than dog-walking (sorry nikki).

Putting difficulty aside, I think I'd get sick of everything real fast if I was taking a ton of science and prepping for the MCAT at the same time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nikki2002 said:
ok--let me tell you something!! dog walking and basketweaving are real sports--they take a lot of dedication and I have to practice A LOT. I especially have to work on my pooper scooper skills

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

On a side note, I'm taking just 11 hrs in the Spring. I'm a non-trad and that's all the classes I need/or can take due to pre-recs (like I can't take Genetics because you need intro Bio done, etc) I'm volunteering/shadowing like 30-35 hrs a week - do you guys think this is alright or are the Adcoms (funny squirrelly people that they are) going to freak about this?

On one hand I wish I could take more but on the other the free study time for the MCAT is appealing.

anastasis - i feel that if you are padding your extra free time w/something that boosts an app (like volunteering), it is still good!

but thats coming from another pre-med...so i don't know, but it sounds fine to me!

Nikki2002 said:

speaking of pooper scoopers...if anyone needs to make something funny and disgusting for a halloween party this weekend, i highly recommend these delicious cat poop cookies:

http://www.joke-archives.com/recipes/catpoopcookies.html

i made them for my work and everyone got a HUGE kick out of them. it's best if you serve them in a flat pan or (unused) litterbox with a new pooper scooper as the utensil.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

scentimint said:
speaking of pooper scoopers...if anyone needs to make something funny and disgusting for a halloween party this weekend, i highly recommend these delicious cat poop cookies:

i made them for my work and everyone got a HUGE kick out of them. it's best if you serve them in a flat pan or (unused) litterbox with a new pooper scooper as the utensil.

oh--super yummy!!!!!!

scentimint said:

:laugh: :laugh:
I'm forwarding that link on to my sister; she works at the Humane society and I think those would be perfect for their party. Thanks!