MCAT as study guide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sinderella

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a MCAT study book to study for the PCAT? I just got the Barron's PCAT study book but it mostly just gives an outline of what you need to know. SO, since I have a MCAT study book as well I was wondering if the MCAT book would be a sufficient study guide on it's own or if I should still consult my old textbooks.

Members don't see this ad.

I never took the PCAT but I did take the MCAT. IMO, the MCAT books in general are sufficient enough for the PCAT. However you do need to brush up on topics that are covered by PCAT but not MCAT! For the MCAT, I used:

Kaplan Big MCAT Book

Several MCAT exams, &

EK Audio Osmosis (highly recommend)

I scored a 30 on August 2003 MCAT exam. These materials not only helped me on my MCAT, but also it did a great job in summarizing Intro. Bio., Gen Chem, Physics, and Orgo materials!

The Barron's PCAT book is a good book for practice exams. They are in the same format as the PCAT and for me it was stress relieving to take a test that I was familiar with.

For biology review, I only used the PCAT Audio Learn tapes. They pretty much covered everything that was on the test and I got 99% on that section. The chemistry tapes are useless. The only way to study for chemistry is to solve problems in your chemistry book.

I used the Kaplan Big Book and it is probably the best in getting to the meat of the subject matter while also providing easy memorization tools. It's organization too. I used a few PCAT books but those weren't as helpful....

So yea, an MCAT books is great to utilize

Thank you all for the words of wisdom. I have decided to take the PCAT in March and am very nervous about it, especially the Chemistry section, so I am just trying to figure out the best way to study. I guess I will use the Barron's PCAT book for the practice exams and study everything on the outlines in that book using the BIG MCAT book and my old textbooks.