Pcat Biology Section Study Guides

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yordy

Reaction score
Hello, how are you?
I have a question, does anyone know what is a good study guide for Biology section on the PCAT. I’m having difficulties with this subject. If anyone can give me any advice on how to study for this subject, I will really appreciate it. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @Yordy! Here are some tips on how to study for the biology section:
  1. Biology starts with memorization of various facts. It can be helpful to use flashcards, do practice problems, and try teaching the subject to other people to help you solidify the concepts. Set out some time everyday to learn and remember these facts.
  2. Make connections while you are studying the various systems. For example, when looking at the circulatory system, it will be difficult to memorize the function of the aorta or ventricles or the various types of valves. Instead, you can make the connection of how the blood flows through the systemic or pulmonary circulation.
  3. Timing. As with all sections on the PCAT, you will eventually need to time yourself given the number of passages and discrete questions. Depending on how much time you have until test day, you can start off doing the practice questions untimed. Afterwards, start having a stopwatch and time how long it takes you to do a question and work yourself from there.
  4. Practice, practice, practice. Do as many practice problems as possible and review all the questions especially the ones you answered incorrectly. Learning from mistakes is one of the best ways to learn.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, how are you?
I have a question, does anyone know what is a good study guide for Biology section on the PCAT. I’m having difficulties with this subject. If anyone can give me any advice on how to study for this subject, I will really appreciate it. Thank you.
How much time you have left? I found the DAT study schedule listed on the DAT section to be perfect. I modified it a bit to fit my own schedule but it worked out real well.

How much time you have left? I found the DAT study schedule listed on the DAT section to be perfect. I modified it a bit to fit my own schedule but it worked out real well.
I have my PCAT on September 6. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @Yordy! Here are some tips on how to study for the biology section:
  1. Biology starts with memorization of various facts. It can be helpful to use flashcards, do practice problems, and try teaching the subject to other people to help you solidify the concepts. Set out some time everyday to learn and remember these facts.
  2. Make connections while you are studying the various systems. For example, when looking at the circulatory system, it will be difficult to memorize the function of the aorta or ventricles or the various types of valves. Instead, you can make the connection of how the blood flows through the systemic or pulmonary circulation.
  3. Timing. As with all sections on the PCAT, you will eventually need to time yourself given the number of passages and discrete questions. Depending on how much time you have until test day, you can start off doing the practice questions untimed. Afterwards, start having a stopwatch and time how long it takes you to do a question and work yourself from there.
  4. Practice, practice, practice. Do as many practice problems as possible and review all the questions especially the ones you answered incorrectly. Learning from mistakes is one of the best ways to learn.
Good luck!
Thank so much for your advice. I really appreciate it. I will try all your tips. I let you know how it goes. Thank you again.

I have my PCAT on September 6. What do you think?
You can't do the actual schedule thats listed in the thread but you still have some time to study biology. Maybe you can spend a week and half studying and then the other week and a half doing practice exams.

You can't do the actual schedule thats listed in the thread but you still have some time to study biology. Maybe you can spend a week and half studying and then the other week and a half doing practice exams.
Yeah I will do that. Thank you very much