MCAT at Manitoba

Started by sinpra
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sinpra

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read this a while back on this very forum that the Manitoba Med School focuses a lot on the MCATs. That is, if your GPA is remarkably less than stellar, do you still have a chance with your MCAT?

Is that right?

I am from Ontario, so an OOP student for Manitoba.
 
I had a 39Q MCAT and applied to Manitoba this cycle. Rejected early January, even though they say in their manual that the MCAT is 50% of their weighting, with 10% GPA and 40% interview and extracurriculars.
Apparently they really DON'T emphasize the MCAT like they say they do.

*Edit: I'm an out-of-province applicant.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From what I remember (I applied last year), I think the weighting is post-interview. There is still a GPA cutoff to make to be invited to an interview as an OP student.
 
yeah, I had a 38Q, and same deal, rejected pre-interview, was pissed, but speaking to the admissions people, they said that the pre-interview cutoffs/ranking were not in the same ratio as the final post interview ranking, where AGPA is 10% and MCAT is 50%. Ends up this year that anyone with below a 3.95/4.5 didn't get ranked for an interview. So even though a 3.92 and a 38Q may have been ranked higher than say a 4.0/4.5 and a 33Q, it didn't matter.
 
Hi everyone!
thank you so much for your replies. Really appreciate it! 👍