MCAT BIO More Conceptual than Content?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fre3play

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title states, many have said that mcat nowadays tests bio related directly to the passage; meaning there is very little background knowledge a person could have about the specific topic. Does this mean I should spend less time on content review and more time on passages?

I went from a 4 to a 7 from AAMC #4 to AAMC #5 for the bio portion in just 2 days of reviewing. I plan on studying for 2 weeks and hopefully reach 10-11 range. I still have had a hard time with it but I feeling I am able to better tackle down the passages and eliminate choices more effectively.

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT more recently has been straying away from rote memorization towards more conceptual/application based questions. Doing more passages is a good strategy BUT don't sacrifice any content review either. Specific knowledge on the topic list is still fair game, especially for discrete questions.

I would still make sure to know all the content, and know it well. You may get an experimental passage where most of the questions are based on the passage itself (you absolutely need the passage to answer the question correctly), but you may not be able to even understand the passage if you don't have a good grasp on the basic content. I would recommend reviewing all the relevant material, and THEN going through the practice exams. And like the user above me posted, you still have to worry about the discrete questions.