MCAT Bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbehzad

Faddayy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering does the Bio section of MCAT deal with any plant biology or fungus biology or is it more human related biology? Should we study plants, fungus, etc for the mcat?
Im not taking the mcat anytime soon, but i was just wondering.
To those that take it this weekend, good luck :) !

Members don't see this ad.

No plants or fungi (unless they find a way to tie it to a clinical issue). I wouldn't spend time on them.

The BS section includes primarily physiology and organic with some genetics and other human-related biology.

thanks for the quick responses.
Dr. Mom how you doing? did you start school yet, if so how is it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Doin fine. Thx for asking!

Started orientation today. Just some general presentations, registration, fin. aid, etc. The MS2s did some skits for us in lieu of presenting really dry info. We'll start our BLS (CPR) class tomorrow and have lab orientations. Other misc. stuff for the rest of the week.

Actual classes start next Mon.

according to the MCAT Student Manual (from AAMC), bio topics include

Fungi
1. major structural types
2. General life history and physiology

so I'd know fission yeast, budding yeast, asexual and sexual reproduction, sporulation, hyphae, external digestion, that they are eukaryotes, etc.

i say study it if you want a 14 or 15.........but just the basics of differnt types of reproduction and development.......and have a good understanding of the bascis of evolution............they alkways throw in one or two questions about some type of reproduction or development or something fromt hat area.........and 2 questiosn can drop you to a 14 or 13 or below........no reason to miss these basic qs................

nero

Originally posted by DrMom
The MS2s did some skits for us in lieu of presenting really dry info.

What is that exactly?

just a guess, but r those the second year med students?
if that's the case....have fun at med school, DrMom, or at least try to :D

hope u enjoyed the BLS class, is it a compressed one day version?

MS2= 2nd yr med students

The skits concerned school policies, rules, etc.

BLS is in 2 partial days. Today we did the classroom portion and took the written exam. Later this week we'll do the skills with the mannequins (sp?). They've scheduled 2-2.5 hrs for that.

Hopefully I'll have fun!!:D