MCAT Books Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

velvetcoffee

Coffee
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Right now I am using Kaplan for C/P (and like everything). But...

Not very good at physics and wanting more practice. I think 1001 might be too hard and even more discouraging? But, maybe not. Just wondering which to buy. Should I just buy berkley?

ALSO, same for general chemistry! C/P is simply NOT my thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Those books are good, but you might also want to try the Khan Academy MCAT materials. Some students learn better through videos, and KA does a great job at it.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Should I just buy berkley?

Yes, if money is not a problem, Berkeley Review, with their 6000+ questions is amazing for Physics, General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry. For Biology and Biochemistry I would suggest Kaplan and YouTube videos (Khan Academy, AK Lectures, etc.) Really focus on doing practice questions.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Right now I am using Kaplan for C/P (and like everything). But...

Not very good at physics and wanting more practice. I think 1001 might be too hard and even more discouraging? But, maybe not. Just wondering which to buy. Should I just buy berkley?

ALSO, same for general chemistry! C/P is simply NOT my thing.
Try Examkrackers

Yes, if money is not a problem, Berkeley Review, with their 6000+ questions is amazing for Physics, General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry. For Biology and Biochemistry I would suggest Kaplan and YouTube videos (Khan Academy, AK Lectures, etc.) Really focus on doing practice questions.

Good luck.
This is pretty much the consensus opinion. If money is a problem, used books are fairly common in SDN classifieds, and it's probably the safest place to get used books.

Good luck.
What books would you suggest for Psych/Soc? and CARS? I'm considering getting the full package from Berkeley Review, but I'm not sure. I also have the Kaplan ebooks from a friend.

Kayy1:

For Psychology/Sociology Khan Academy videos and/or Khan Academy 300 or 86 page document should do. Also one of the many premade ANKI, plus practice should be enough.

CARS: CARS is really not my "cup of tea." Check out Jack Westin and/or The Princeton Review (TPR) verbal passage book and the AAMC CARS question pack.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
What books would you suggest for Psych/Soc? and CARS? I'm considering getting the full package from Berkeley Review, but I'm not sure. I also have the Kaplan ebooks from a friend.
Read, read, read. Practice reading anything until you can read faster. Improving your reading speed will help you more than anything. Try the Atlantic Monthly, The New York Times Magazine, etc.

Berkeley Review is good for in-depth coverage of topics, especially if you haven't taken the pre-reqs (believe it or not, some people really do take the MCAT without having taken the pre-reqs). Princeton Review is similar.

Khan Academy, YouTube videos, Anki decks etc. are fine but you get what you pay for and I would not recommend going this route. Personally, I prefer Examkrackers annotated with Kaplan (take notes in Examkrackers while you are reading Kaplan, like med students do with First Aid + Robbins/Kaplan/etc.) but everyone is different.