MCAT class : take it or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PKP719

Operation starts after 12
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question for you guys. There is this MCAT class starting in NOV around my area . I am planning to take the mcats in april. I am currently taking bio 1 and orgo 1 right now (fall semester) and next semester bio 2 and orgo 2.(spring). I just wanted to know if its really worth my money to sign up for the class considering I am missing half the requirements starting in Nov. Will I really be out of the loop during class ?

Members don't see this ad.

PKP719 said:
I had a question for you guys. There is this MCAT class starting in NOV around my area . I am planning to take the mcats in april. I am currently taking bio 1 and orgo 1 right now (fall semester) and next semester bio 2 and orgo 2.(spring). I just wanted to know if its really worth my money to sign up for the class considering I am missing half the requirements starting in Nov. Will I really be out of the loop during class ?

I wouldn't start prepping until the beginning of next semester . . . that's just me though. I studied from June till August and that was plenty of time.

^^

No clue , I guess it gets the wheels in motion for lazy basturds like me to pick up the book he he .

Members don't see this ad :)
ei guys, should you really study intensely when taking MCAT? :)

I don't think it will hurt, and I think it will be well worth it. Prep courses give you lots of practice material that is similar in difficulty to the real exam, and they help give structure and focus to your studying. There are very few people I know of that didn't take a prep course and were happy with their scores, and there are very few people I know that have taken a prep course and weren't happy with their score.

I took Kaplan and they were very flexible and had some students in a similar position to yours. If the class starts in Nov, you'll probably have covered the first parts of review as your first semester of Bio/Orgo will be almost done by the time you have those review sessions. Also, I know every college is different, but the amount of anatomy/physiology on the MCAT was way more than in my intro bio courses; so some of the things we reviewed in class I was seeing for the first time. The Kaplan course I took also allowed us to mix/match sessions with other courses that started later. For example, if there is a Mcat course that is starting next Jan/Feb, you can skip a Bio or Orgo review session in your class and take it later with the course that starts later, if you haven't covered that material yet in your classes.

Thats true ,

thanks for the advice people. I am signing up tonight ! First time I a exicited to tackle an challenge since freshman days hehe ..

I personallly took the Princeton Review and improved on my last score by eight pts. 25-33. Definately worth the money and it only lasted from early June to a week before the test date in August. Two months is plenty of time to prepare if you can spend around 20 hours a week studying.