MCAT day checklist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASDIC

The 9th Flotilla
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heres a checklist for this week's MCATer:

on friday:
1. Make sure you know where the test center is and find the spot for the parking. Also note how much time it will take for you to get there.

2. Get your ID with picture and signature and MCAT test ticket and the information card with the picture on it.

3. Sharpen a few pencils, ready 2 mech pencils with the lead, and eraser. For the essay, get 2 black ball point pens. Also having a watch will be a good idea. If your watch beeps, ask your friends for an analog one.

4. Load up on some carbohydrate for the next day. Avoid sodas, fiberous foods and fruits...or else take GasX.

5. At night make sure you have your lunch ready. Also get a water bottle and an energy drink or bar.

6. Go out and relax for the night. Go to bed early.

7. ready your clothes ready for next day...take an extra sweatshirt and a t-shirt. You never know whether the test room will be incredibly cold or sizzling hot. Get a rainjacket as well if know if its gonna rain.

8. If you are driving to the test center, make sure your car has fuel.

9. Dont forget to put an alarm!!!

on Saturday:
1. Wake up, take a deep breathe and smile.

2. After you finish cleaning up, make sure you visit the restroom. Or else you will have to do that during the test.

3. Have some light breakfast. Avoid Milk since it makes you drowsy. Also dont load up on caffiene...it will make you tired fast.

4. Double check that you have the ID, MCAT test ticket, stationery etc.

5. You may want to do some light reading like a newspaper or a magazine. But no MCAT reading. This will warm (wake up) your brain for the test.

6. Since its allergy season in some parts of the country, if you need to, take a Zyrtec. You dont want start sneezing etc during the verbal!

7. Leave on time and arrive at the test half an hour early.

8. Drive slowly and carefully

9. Turn off your cell phone for the test

After the test, treat urself... :) or just take nap

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

2 advil, contact lens replacements, couple slabs of mango snacks for during sections...dont get there 2 hours early~ esp since the test *starts* at 9.

I agree on the "light" breakfast comment--I have a prof who's an MD/PhD who put heavy breakfasts in the context of sending more blood flow to your digestive system rather than your brain. I don't know if I agree with avoiding milk and caffeine necessarily--I would think you should just go with what you're used to. I have cereal or a Kashi waffle with milk almost every day and I never feel drowsy but I avoid caffeine because its effect on me is variable...whereas for other people it would be vice versa.

But besides that, great advice!!! Thanks! :)

thekegalman said:
3. Have some light breakfast. Avoid Milk since it makes you drowsy. Also dont load up on caffiene...it will make you tired fast.

Members don't see this ad :)
thekegalman said:

on friday:
1. Make sure you know where the test center is and find the spot for the parking. Also note how much time it will take for you to get there.

2. Get your ID with picture and signature and MCAT test ticket and the information card with the picture on it.

3. Sharpen a few pencils, ready 2 mech pencils with the lead, and eraser. For the essay, get 2 black ball point pens. Also having a watch will be a good idea. If your watch beeps, ask your friends for an analog one.

4. Load up on some carbohydrate for the next day. Avoid sodas, fiberous foods and fruits...or else take GasX.

5. At night make sure you have your lunch ready. Also get a water bottle and an energy drink or bar.

6. Go out and relax for the night. Go to bed early.

7. ready your clothes ready for next day...take an extra sweatshirt and a t-shirt. You never know whether the test room will be incredibly cold or sizzling hot. Get a rainjacket as well if know if its gonna rain.

8. If you are driving to the test center, make sure your car has fuel.

9. Dont forget to put an alarm!!!

on Saturday:
1. Wake up, take a deep breathe and smile.

2. After you finish cleaning up, make sure you visit the restroom. Or else you will have to do that during the test.

4. Double check that you have the ID, MCAT test ticket, stationery etc.

5. You may want to do some light reading like a newspaper or a magazine. But no MCAT reading. This will warm (wake up) your brain for the test.

6. Since its allergy season in some parts of the country, if you need to, take a Zyrtec. You dont want start sneezing etc during the verbal!

7. Leave on time and arrive at the test half an hour early.

8. Drive slowly and carefully

9. Turn off your cell phone for the test

After the test, treat urself... :) or just take nap

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Two words: Ambien (friday nite); Provigil (sat AM)

When at the test center, put on your headphones and listen to good music to get yourself energized and motivated. :D

for the girls: make sure you bring some hygiene products, even if it's not that time of the month. surprises would be real baaaad :eek:

My advice:

Show up early--your stomach will be upset a little.

Have a back up place to sleep or some kick ass earplugs for the night before. Last april a person was posting on SDN the night before the mcat about how a christian rock band had setup and played a concert outside his window until about 11pm.

So it's definitely allergy season (I'm a walking bag of snot). I could take Clariton or some sort of allergy medicine, but it gives me horrible dry mouth. I also know I will be drinking 2 cups of coffee that morning as I have been doing before all my diags, and I'm not sure about the effects of caffeine with antihistamines. Should I just suck it up guys, go without medicine, and hope the proctor will let me blow my nose during the exam or risk taking medicine? What do you think?

Also, I'm mad at my immune system for doing this to me! :mad: