MCAT Dilemmas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KME58

Reaction score
I recently graduated from undergraduate. I first took my MCATs before my senior year. My first score was a 489. I retook and received a 496. I had a gpa of 3.7 and I was a college athlete with three jobs, so I decided to take my chances and apply. I was waitlisted but no acceptances. I finished my senior year and decided to take the MCAT again. This time I got a 490. It’s not an excuse, but the day before I took my MCAT for the third time I tore my acl. I am currently enrolled in an online MPH program that I can finish in just under one year. What should I do? Am I completely doomed?

Members don't see this ad.

Three MCAT scores below (and now well below) 500 indicate that there is little likelihood of a successful MD application in the near term.
An online MPH will do little to alter that.
Stop taking the MCAT, at least for the foreseeable future.
You are not "doomed."

Reactions: 2 users
I recently graduated from undergraduate. I first took my MCATs before my senior year. My first score was a 489. I retook and received a 496. I had a gpa of 3.7 and I was a college athlete with three jobs, so I decided to take my chances and apply. I was waitlisted but no acceptances. I finished my senior year and decided to take the MCAT again. This time I got a 490. It’s not an excuse, but the day before I took my MCAT for the third time I tore my acl. I am currently enrolled in an online MPH program that I can finish in just under one year. What should I do? Am I completely doomed?
Because you have a history of making poor choices, I suggest that it's time for Plan B.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Were you getting 500+ scores in practice tests?

What was your MCAT study plan!?

Reactions: 1 user
What was your MCAT study plan!?
If I’m being completely honest, it wasn’t great. I took the first two without having Psychology or Biochemistry. I did have a set of Kaplan test books, but honestly I did not study as I should have. I am not trying to make excuses. By this point, I know I have messed up. I am just trying to see if there is any possibly way that if I take a year off, get my mph, take an actual in person MCAT course, and get a better score, if schools will even still consider me.

Were you getting 500+ scores in practice tests?

I never took full length practice exams. I only ever took parts from each of them. Do you think taking an actual course will make a difference if I get a better score?

• Wow
I never took full length practice exams. I only ever took parts from each of them. Do you think taking an actual course will make a difference if I get a better score?

You took the MCAT 3 times and you never took a practice exam? o_O

• Wow
Reactions: 12 users
Wow, NO PRACTICE EXAM??? That's your problem right there added to the fact that you didn't actually study for the test. As a college athlete have you ever played a game without practice?

Reactions: 7 users

A couple of issues here:

1. I believe at least some medical schools limit the number of times you can retake the MCAT. I also recall reading on SDN that that a retake beyond that limit (which may be 3, you need to check) may be excused for extenuating circumstances. Honestly, you should have voided your 3rd MCAT sitting if you suffered an ACL tear the day before but it's too late now. Again, you need to do some research on this issue.

2. Simply taking an in person course by itself won't raise your score by enough. There are no shortcuts here if you're not a naturally gifted test taker. You'll have to grind: learn content, do lots and lots of practice passages and then take full length practice exams.

I suggest searching for threads by @PlsLetMeIn21 who has really good advice on the best practice materials and the amount of effort it takes to get a good MCAT score and @Hi_I'mPaul who was admitted to medical school after multiple MCAT retakings.

MCAT prep materials differ wildly in quality. I feel The Berkeley Review is best for B/B and C/P. The 300 page Khan Academy outline is best for P/S. Testing Solutions (which has CARS boot camps this month is best for CARS). UWorld has an excellent online question bank especially for P/S.

You can't afford another subpar MCAT score and I suggest taking the time to prepare well. Trying to rush into another MCAT implosion will doom you.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

What do your ECs look like aside from the athletics? What kinds of clinical and non-clinical volunteering do you have? Are you URM? How many shadowing hours? How many schools did you apply to?

I’m curious what the rest of your application looks like if you don’t mind sharing. Maybe we can help you better prioritize your efforts this upcoming year.

What do your ECs look like aside from the athletics? What kinds of clinical and non-clinical volunteering do you have? Are you URM? How many shadowing hours? How many schools did you apply to?

I’m curious what the rest of your application looks like if you don’t mind sharing. Maybe we can help you better prioritize your efforts this upcoming year.
Yes, I was a division 2 college athlete and worked three jobs (lifeguard, swim instructor, and community advocate for a local organization). I also was involved in several different clubs/organizations (being the president in the biological honor society). I have had an internship with an MD/MPH in women’s health that totaled around 500 hours. I have clinical job shadowing hours totaling around 58. My volunteering hours (local soup kitchen and retirement home) total about 200 hours. I am heavily involved in my church youth ministry and the local youth soccer organization. I am also a published coauthor on a paper that included all three years of my undergraduate research.

As for URM, I am a white female, but I do come from a socioeconomically disadvantaged family. I was the first person in my family to go to college, and to receive a degree. I also come from a small, rural farming community that is under represented in medicine.

I originally applied to 7 MD schools and 3 MPH schools. I got into all 3 MPH schools (one of which I am currently enrolled in), and I was waitlisted for 4 MD schools.

Any advice would be helpful, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I was a division 2 college athlete and worked three jobs (lifeguard, swim instructor, and community advocate for a local organization). I also was involved in several different clubs/organizations (being the president in the biological honor society). I have had an internship with an MD/MPH in women’s health that totaled around 500 hours. I have clinical job shadowing hours totaling around 58. My volunteering hours (local soup kitchen and retirement home) total about 200 hours. I am heavily involved in my church youth ministry and the local youth soccer organization. I am also a published coauthor on a paper that included all three years of my undergraduate research.

As for URM, I am a white female, but I do come from a socioeconomically disadvantaged family. I was the first person in my family to go to college, and to receive a degree. I also come from a small, rural farming community that is under represented in medicine.

I originally applied to 7 MD schools and 3 MPH schools. I got into all 3 MPH schools (one of which I am currently enrolled in), and I was waitlisted for 4 MD schools.

Train for the MCAT as you would for the World Cup over the next 9-12 months. (I assume you're a soccer player.) Don't try to do 10,000 other things at the same time. The MCAT should be a primary focus.

Your first generation status helps.

Having a genuine, demonstrated interest in rural medicine would help.

Also, consider applying DO, as well as MD.

Reactions: 2 users

Well, I’m applying myself this cycle so I’m not an expert, but I think it’s interesting you received 4 WL rather than outright rejections with your MCAT scores. Clearly something about your application is connecting in spite of your MCAT history.

Unless you have your heart set on MPH, I think you should dedicate to at least 6 months of full throttle MCAT study instead of a Master’s program at this point if medicine is your goal. Do not take the test again until you are scoring well above 500 on AAMC full length practice tests. Do all the AAMC section banks and question packs, too. An in-person prep class may not be beneficial unless you truly need the structure.

I think DO may be your most realistic shot at this point, but far from a guarantee. If you get a poor MCAT score again, you’ll probably close the door on medical school forever.

Another thought: If you were excited about your MPH program, you could just do that and see where that leads. Forget about the MCAT for awhile and assess whether your heart is still in the medical school game a year or so from now. Perhaps your MPH program will take you in new and unexpected directions that may be more aligned with your goals and interests.

Last edited:
Do you think this test is a joke? You think you can go in and take it with barely studying and not actually taking a single practice exam?

Sorry I would feel bad for someone who tried hard and got bad scores but this isn’t the case here. Where is the commitment? Is this what you really want to do? If medical school means a lot for someone you would think they would STUDY for the MCAT.

You need to be prepared. If you can’t study for the MCAT imagine what med school will be like studying hours on end. Come on OP you gotta wake up.

Reactions: 1 users

Waitlisted at 4? So you still had 4 interviews with your MCAT scores?

Honestly, OP? You didn't study for a test that is instrumental in applications and now you're probably DOA at the vast majority of schools you apply to, even DO. Taking the MCAT three times with variable scores (and with a 490 being your most recent) shows very poor judgment.

You need to sit down and really consider this: if you're not willing to study for the MCAT and get at least a 510+ at this point, then are you really committed to becoming a doctor? Have you considered a plan B at this point?

I honestly cannot believe the level of negativity that is on this thread. Come on people, boost your encouragement by offering constructive criticism.

No, not a full length test. I took the individual sections that Kaplan provided.
Mind. Blown.

Most mcat takers take 5-10 practice exams and even more before the real thing and even then there are blips in score disparity bc of the stress of the test etc.
Those three MCAT scores will stay with you on your record for a long time.
Are you sure medicine is right for you?
You should talk to an advisor about strategizing plans A B and C

Just because the comments are negative doesn’t mean they aren’t constructive. OP needs an intervention and to have some serious reflection. Taking the MCAT 3 times without a single practice test shows a serious lack of judgement.

I honestly cannot believe the level of negativity that is on this thread. Come on people, boost your encouragement by offering constructive criticism.

So tell her everything will be just find? Pat her on the back and say “you’ll do better next time”? How is that being constructive and helping her? I think she’s gotten some strong and appropriate advice. She’s in a very deep hole and she needs to know that. Frankly, I’m gobsmacked she got four interviews with her score(s).