1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Mcat exam day question

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by premedluc09, Dec 18, 2008.

1. premedluc09

Pre-Medical
    which answer would you stick with if you were running out of time ont he exam day? A,B,C, OR D>??

and has anyone completely guessed on the entire mcat exam and got a decent grade???

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Caesar

Caesar In Memory of Riley Jane
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'll go out on a limb and say no. It isn't really the kind of test you guess on and do well. I don't know which answer I'd stick with. Probably randomly click and void my test at the end.

4. WCEMSPremed

WCEMSPremed Bioethical Inquirer

Pre-Medical
    Your best bet probably for complete guessing is to put down all A's, all B's, all C's, or all D's but to keep it consistent with one answer choice.

I think it's highly unlikely anyone can guess and get a decent grade. You're looking at an expected 1/4 raw score which probably will scale to like a 3 or something per section.

5. BlueElmo

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    LOL, why would anyone just randomly guess on the whole MCAT? As for which answer, I don think it should matter. But if you have multiple questions that you have no idea about, then just stick with one letter.

6. scaredoflife

scaredoflife Eaaagglleee
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would go with A, because it sounds more plausible.

7. rjf

rjf
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think that if there is anyone out there that is legitimately thinking about guessing on the MCAT might as well stay home that day. Not a good idea.

8. scaredoflife

scaredoflife Eaaagglleee
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I answered for fun, I would never pay 210 dollars and waste it by guessing unless the building was going to explode or something.

9. justdoit31

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My physician said to go with C when I asked her if she had any advice- she said her husband thought that was the most common answer- who knows though.

I tried to at least skim over question and narrow out 1-2 choices before guessing anything even when low on time.

10. Tourterm

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Pick whichever is the more complicated, most nuanced answer. Generally a positive statement.

So, how screwed would you be if you randomly guessed throughout the whole test? Well, using AAMC practice test 10 as an example...

Physical sciences:
    Probability of a scaled score of 10 or greater ≈ 1.0 x 10^-15

Verbal reasoning:
    Probability of a scaled score of 10 or greater ≈ 4.906 x 10^-12

Biological sciences:
    Probability of a scaled score of 10 or greater ≈ 6.6 x 10^-14

Entire exam:
    Probability of a 30 or greater ≈ 3.238 x 10^-40

So, yeah, guessing on the entire exam is bad. Really, really, ^-40, bad.