1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Mcat exam day question

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by premedluc09, Dec 18, 2008.

1. premedluc09

Pre-Medical
    which answer would you stick with if you were running out of time ont he exam day? A,B,C, OR D>??

and has anyone completely guessed on the entire mcat exam and got a decent grade???

2. Caesar

Caesar In Memory of Riley Jane
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'll go out on a limb and say no. It isn't really the kind of test you guess on and do well. I don't know which answer I'd stick with. Probably randomly click and void my test at the end.

3. WCEMSPremed

WCEMSPremed Bioethical Inquirer

Pre-Medical
    Your best bet probably for complete guessing is to put down all A's, all B's, all C's, or all D's but to keep it consistent with one answer choice.

I think it's highly unlikely anyone can guess and get a decent grade. You're looking at an expected 1/4 raw score which probably will scale to like a 3 or something per section.

4. BlueElmo

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    LOL, why would anyone just randomly guess on the whole MCAT? As for which answer, I don think it should matter. But if you have multiple questions that you have no idea about, then just stick with one letter.

5. scaredoflife

scaredoflife Eaaagglleee
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would go with A, because it sounds more plausible.

6. rjf

rjf
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think that if there is anyone out there that is legitimately thinking about guessing on the MCAT might as well stay home that day. Not a good idea.

7. scaredoflife

scaredoflife Eaaagglleee
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I answered for fun, I would never pay 210 dollars and waste it by guessing unless the building was going to explode or something.

8. justdoit31

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My physician said to go with C when I asked her if she had any advice- she said her husband thought that was the most common answer- who knows though.

I tried to at least skim over question and narrow out 1-2 choices before guessing anything even when low on time.

9. Tourterm

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Pick whichever is the more complicated, most nuanced answer. Generally a positive statement.

So, how screwed would you be if you randomly guessed throughout the whole test? Well, using AAMC practice test 10 as an example...

Physical sciences:
    Probability of a scaled score of 10 or greater ≈ 1.0 x 10^-15

Verbal reasoning:
    Probability of a scaled score of 10 or greater ≈ 4.906 x 10^-12

Biological sciences:
    Probability of a scaled score of 10 or greater ≈ 6.6 x 10^-14

Entire exam:
    Probability of a 30 or greater ≈ 3.238 x 10^-40

So, yeah, guessing on the entire exam is bad. Really, really, ^-40, bad.