• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

premedluc09

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
which answer would you stick with if you were running out of time ont he exam day? A,B,C, OR D>??

and has anyone completely guessed on the entire mcat exam and got a decent grade???

Caesar

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2007
Midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'll go out on a limb and say no. It isn't really the kind of test you guess on and do well. I don't know which answer I'd stick with. Probably randomly click and void my test at the end.

WCEMSPremed

Bioethical Inquirer
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Your best bet probably for complete guessing is to put down all A's, all B's, all C's, or all D's but to keep it consistent with one answer choice.

I think it's highly unlikely anyone can guess and get a decent grade. You're looking at an expected 1/4 raw score which probably will scale to like a 3 or something per section.

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
LOL, why would anyone just randomly guess on the whole MCAT? As for which answer, I don think it should matter. But if you have multiple questions that you have no idea about, then just stick with one letter.

About the Ads

rjf

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I think that if there is anyone out there that is legitimately thinking about guessing on the MCAT might as well stay home that day. Not a good idea.

scaredoflife

Eaaagglleee
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I answered for fun, I would never pay 210 dollars and waste it by guessing unless the building was going to explode or something.

justdoit31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
My physician said to go with C when I asked her if she had any advice- she said her husband thought that was the most common answer- who knows though.

I tried to at least skim over question and narrow out 1-2 choices before guessing anything even when low on time.

Tourterm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2007
NJ
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Pick whichever is the more complicated, most nuanced answer. Generally a positive statement.

So, how screwed would you be if you randomly guessed throughout the whole test? Well, using AAMC practice test 10 as an example...

Physical sciences:
Probability of a scaled score of 10 or greater ≈ 1.0 x 10^-15

Verbal reasoning:
Probability of a scaled score of 10 or greater ≈ 4.906 x 10^-12

Biological sciences:
Probability of a scaled score of 10 or greater ≈ 6.6 x 10^-14

Entire exam:
Probability of a 30 or greater ≈ 3.238 x 10^-40

So, yeah, guessing on the entire exam is bad. Really, really, ^-40, bad.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.