MCAT FLs question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BTC0821

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question, so in order to get to the amount of practice MCAT sessions that I would like to hit before I take the actual MCAT, I have an idea about how to do this in the short amount of time I have available. What I intend on doing is the week before I take the MCAT, I'm going to purchase 5 Altius practice exams and do one a day for 5 days and then have a few days to review where I went wrong, take an AAMC exam, see where I went wrong, relax for a day, and then take the MCAT. This is by no means comprehensive of what I will be doing to study for the MCAT but is only the last two weeks of studying for me. Does this seem reasonable? Any ideas on whether or not this will bring about positive results? Any ideas are appreciated, thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reviewing them is just as important as taking the full lengths themselves- don't skimp on the reviewing of the full lengths.

Reactions: 1 user
Question, so in order to get to the amount of practice MCAT sessions that I would like to hit before I take the actual MCAT, I have an idea about how to do this in the short amount of time I have available. What I intend on doing is the week before I take the MCAT, I'm going to purchase 5 Altius practice exams and do one a day for 5 days and then have a few days to review where I went wrong, take an AAMC exam, see where I went wrong, relax for a day, and then take the MCAT. This is by no means comprehensive of what I will be doing to study for the MCAT but is only the last two weeks of studying for me. Does this seem reasonable? Any ideas on whether or not this will bring about positive results? Any ideas are appreciated, thank you for your time.
I only reviewed my AAMC FLs....all others were used for timing practice and to get in the correct test taking mentality. I increased >60 percentile points from my first ever practice test by only reviewing and understanding the AAMC logic, passages, and question types.

Sent from my SM-A300H using SDN mobile

How exactly does one adequately review an exam? I have taken a few FLs already, however, before I continue taking these expensive exams, is there a method which works best for either of you to get the most out of them when you do review them? Thank you for your responses.

Members don't see this ad :)
How exactly does one adequately review an exam? I have taken a few FLs already, however, before I continue taking these expensive exams, is there a method which works best for either of you to get the most out of them when you do review them? Thank you for your responses.
google 7sage blind review- make a list of everything you do wrong so you don't make the same mistake twice.

The 7sage Blind Review technique is excellent! In terms of adapting it to the MCAT, one suggestion I'd make is to pay special attention to how you're expected to apply passage information to solve the questions, in order to develop good passage review/analysis habits. Also, a FL contains 230 questions, so that's a lot to review -- you may find it helpful & practical to try to distill the results of your review into a smaller set (~10) of forward-facing action points that you can implement for the next practice exam (and eventually for the real thing).

That will be a LOT of review to go over 5 Altius full-lengths in only a couple of days! At the very least, take advantage of the tools Altius gives you in the score report. Some students look at the topics/disciplines they were weakest on, but I think some of the other data is even more helpful. For example, how did you perform on easy/med/difficult questions? How did you do on easy/med/difficult passages? How did you perform on each of the question blueprints? Among my students I look for cases in which they are missing easy/medium questions because those are the easiest to fix.