MCAT for an Australian Citizen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattjbr2

Reaction score
I was under the impression that an Australian born citizen who lives in Australia has the choice of taking either the MCAT or the GAMSAT to get into medical school.
Then I read this "International applicants residing in Australia at the time of application must complete the GAMSAT; they are not permitted to apply using MCAT results".
So, international students living in Australia are not permitted to apply using the MCAT, but domestic students living in Australia are? Or does that include all applicants residing in Australia? Is this only a UniMelb thing, or do all Australian universities disallow Austalian citizens from using the MCAT to apply? I'd be open to relocating anywhere in Australia to a medical school that accepts me.

The reason I'm asking is because I don't think I have nearly what it takes to pass the GAMSAT, as it relies mainly on genetics. However, I am able to study hard enough to pass the MCAT, as it relies primarily on knowledge.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you might be overestimating the difference between these two tests. The MCAT is not primarily a knowledge test, it's primarily a reading comprehension/critical thinking test. Sure you've got to memorize a bunch of stuff, but it'll only help you so much if you don't have test-taking skills.

I think you might be overestimating the difference between these two tests. The MCAT is not primarily a knowledge test, it's primarily a reading comprehension/critical thinking test. Sure you've got to memorize a bunch of stuff, but it'll only help you so much if you don't have test-taking skills.

Thanks for the response, though my main concern remains unanswered.