1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

mcat format

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by icecoldstar, Jul 29, 2011.

1. icecoldstar

icecoldstar ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What kind of computers do they give you at that prometric center?? PC vs mac? and do you take the exam in a browser similar to those AAMC or is there a specific software they use?
    I'm asking because I dont want any surprises when exam comes up.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. paul411

paul411 ANES
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The MCAT is administered on a PC.

The "browser" will be full-screen with no title bar, status bar, etc. You can simulate this in your own browser by pressing F11. You can't use the Ctrl key or the scroll wheel.

Don't worry, the interface is fairly intuitive without much room for users screwing up.

#2 paul411, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  4. Twink

2+ Year Member

You actually get the highlight function and it's much better. I got it at my testing center.

5. Bumbl3b33

Removed

Medical Student
    Similar question: How large are the screens/monitors? I take practice FLs on my 17'' laptop and find it really annoying to keep having to scroll up and down instead of just being able to see the whole passage infront of me like I can in the hardcopy format.

6. GoZags

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    At my testing center the scroll wheel on the mouse DID NOT function to scroll in the MCAT browser. Also, the strike out feature on my test yesterday didn't work as well as the practice tests, especially for any diagram-like answer choice...they did not "grey out" like the practice exams. Not sure if it was a malfunction or if thats the actual function...it would put what looked like a small hyphen in front of the answer choice rather than greying it out.

Monitor was about 17" Hewlett Packard PC, pretty standard. Resolution was probably < 1024x768

7. Melomare17

5+ Year Member

yup same. i think its at least 800x600, since the mouse looked humongous

8. paul411

paul411 ANES
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You better start getting used to it because if the passage is long enough, you'll have to scroll up and down to see the passage. You'll also be scrolling up and down for questions.